Topics

Crosley "tractor"

Tom Gerhard

My buddy just sent me a photo that he took of me some 31 years ago...
Some time in the '60s, my Dad built this from the remains of one of his Crosleys.   We called it "the tractor", and used it to haul materials, tow boat trailers, and drive around the woods near our summer place in the Pocono mountains.    The frame was shortened, and a 3-speed transmission from a Ford of some sort was fitted between the (very much shortened) Crosley driveshaft and the rear end.    The second transmission was almost always in 1st gear, although I eventually figured out how to shift it by reaching under the seat and working the two levers on the side; in 3rd-2nd gear, you could get going plenty fast on a dirt road.   It was as super reliable and I only remember it being down for repairs a few times over many years.   In the summer, we ran the "stock" 12 inch wheels on the front, but the larger wheels shown here made it driveable in snow.   We were probably using it to shuttle our bags from the car to the house via the 500' or so steep driveway when this picture was taken.

crosleyshortsport

Nifty old tractor !

On Fri, Dec 28, 2018, 9:53 PM Tom Gerhard <tom@... wrote:
[...]

Steve

Nice. I like the 1964 corvair softer convertible also two super rare vehicles

On Dec 28, 2018, at 9:53 PM, Tom Gerhard <tom@...> wrote:

[...]

Attachments:

Tom Gerhard

Good eye! He still has the Corvair, it's a Spyder, with turbo.  It's now its original yellow color.

edmack38@aol.com

 We have a nice Crosley Tractor built in the 50's restored  a few years back. All Crosley from the front bumper to the rear end.

image1.JPG

On Dec 28, 2018, at 10:17 PM, crosleyshortsport via Groups.Io <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:

[...]

Gene Smith

That is just beautiful! I saw a little tractor with a Crosley engine sitting in a front yard in my old neighborhood years ago. But, sadly, I was never able to locate it again.

Learned my lesson, I hope… If you see something interesting - Stop. Talk to the owner. Leave a note. Write down the address.

Happy Hunting!
~Gene Smith~