Crosley Parts Haul Cobra Questions

mr.chips k

I came home today with a small truck load of Crosley stuff. The guy at one time had over 10 of these cars.  Wound up getting : One COBRA , two cast motors, a trans & rear end with mechanical drums.  Numerous distributors, and water pump parts.

The tin block looks really decent. Unfortunately I'm missing parts to it( like main bearing caps, and cam bearing stuff, some valves).  If the bores were the same, could I swap stuff from one of the later cast blocks, onto the tin unit? Looks like some spray grease is inside the bores, so good news there.

The white engine pictured has such bad pitting inside, it might have gotten into the cylinders.

Had a crazy thought of putting the cobra into my 48 CC.

Was tempted to cut that cobra in half also, to setup a display engine at shows, if its no good.   Here are some pictures of stuff.

L.E. Hardee

If you deo cut a block to make a display cut away, I suggest you cut off center so cylinders will have enough arc to hold the pistons, valves etc in the bores.

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 10:57 PM mr.chips k <olds61f85@...> wrote:
I came home today with a small truck load of Crosley stuff. The guy at one time had over 10 of these cars.  Wound up getting : One COBRA , two cast motors, a trans & rear end with mechanical drums.  Numerous distributors, and water pump parts.

The tin block looks really decent. Unfortunately I'm missing parts to it( like main bearing caps, and cam bearing stuff, some valves).  If the bores were the same, could I swap stuff from one of the later cast blocks, onto the tin unit? Looks like some spray grease is inside the bores, so good news there.

The white engine pictured has such bad pitting inside, it might have gotten into the cylinders.

Had a crazy thought of putting the cobra into my 48 CC.

Was tempted to cut that cobra in half also, to setup a display engine at shows, if its no good.   Here are some pictures of stuff.

seb fontana

I have 3 or 4 Tin blocks, never thought to check how hard the cylinders are. Will they saw? I'll have to go check one before dark; or when it cools off more likely!.

mr.chips k

Probably not worth trying to cut it up.   Would much rather swap what ever parts it needs from those other two cast block engines, and drive it.

That is if parts will swap like that?

Andy Drake

If you do decide to try to make a runner out of it, as a first step you will want to to see if it holds water by capping off the inlet or outlet, filling it, capping the other port, and leaving it for awhile. These blocks are notorious for either rotting out internally or seeping over time.

Jim Bollman

You have gotten some good advice so far, was hoping one of the engine builders would jump in but here is something to check swapping parts. If you want to just swap main bearing caps or cam bearings thy need to be checked for alignment. The cam bearings come as a set so not sure if that would be a problem but I believe you need to line bore the mains. You could swap the whole crank case but depending on the history of the engine your swapping from you may loose the early serial number if that matters. There is a good chance the cast motors were rebuilt from sheet metal engine. Your 48 would have a 5 digit engine number engine number in the 28804 up to around 62000. The galvanize block you show is the later style tin block so would be appropriate for your 48 not sure when the painted blocks were phased out. Small external leaks may be fixable with a modern like K&W Block Seal.

Keep us informed on your project.

Jim...

On Aug 23, 2021, at 10:57 PM, mr.chips k <olds61f85@...> wrote:

I came home today with a small truck load of Crosley stuff. The guy at one time had over 10 of these cars.  Wound up getting : One COBRA , two cast motors, a trans & rear end with mechanical drums.  Numerous distributors, and water pump parts.

The tin block looks really decent. Unfortunately I'm missing parts to it( like main bearing caps, and cam bearing stuff, some valves).  If the bores were the same, could I swap stuff from one of the later cast blocks, onto the tin unit? Looks like some spray grease is inside the bores, so good news there.

The white engine pictured has such bad pitting inside, it might have gotten into the cylinders.

Had a crazy thought of putting the cobra into my 48 CC.

Was tempted to cut that cobra in half also, to setup a display engine at shows, if its no good.   Here are some pictures of stuff.  <Resized_20210823_190454.jpg><Resized_20210823_190320.jpg><Resized_20210823_190305.jpg><Resized_20210823_190349_1.jpg><Resized_20210823_190520.jpg><Resized_20210823_190328_1.jpg>

mr.chips k

Thanks for all of the tips.  I'm not bothered with the serial numbers.  So in theory I could take a good ciba crank case assembly, and put it under a tin block.

I'm new to the whole Crosley world, I just keep going through old forum posts, learning what I can.

Maybe out of 3 engines, I can make one good one.

A random thing: I did notice all of these engines have had the ring gear welded to the flywheel. Also one of the cast blocks has the factory oil filter housing.  I'm debating  using that, or the by pass style block.      Oh the decisions!

mr.chips k

Not really a question, but have a look at this crank from one of those engines.

Never seen so many cracks, and the super narrow bearings are a nice touch.

Jim Bollman

Somebody put the wrong bearings in. Should be full width.

On Aug 26, 2021, at 10:54 PM, mr.chips k <olds61f85@...> wrote:

Not really a question, but have a look at this crank from one of those engines.

Never seen so many cracks, and the super narrow bearings are a nice touch.  <20210826_190201_1.jpg><20210826_190155.jpg>

Butch

Jim,

Those are probably boat/ThermoKing bearings. That's all that we had, until Fonda and I, had the new bearing sets made, and Service Motors still has them.

To the OP, I can't see any cracks, in the crank, but the picture doesn't show well, on my monitor.

Butch

On 8/26/2021 11:02 PM, Jim Bollman wrote:
Somebody put the wrong bearings in. Should be full width.

On Aug 26, 2021, at 10:54 PM, mr.chips k <olds61f85@...> wrote:

Not really a question, but have a look at this crank from one of those engines.

Never seen so many cracks, and the super narrow bearings are a nice touch.��<20210826_190201_1.jpg><20210826_190155.jpg>

_.

Mike S

That is one strange crankshaft.  All of those "holes" appear to be inclusions in the metal rather than damage from corrosion.  Any chance this crank could have been welded up & re-ground by a shop that didn't do a good job back when those narrow bearings were installed?

Butch

That's what it looked like to me, also

Butch

On 8/27/2021 10:42 AM, Mike S wrote:
That is one strange crankshaft.  All of those "holes" appear to be inclusions in the metal rather than damage from corrosion.  Any chance this crank could have been welded up & re-ground by a shop that didn't do a good job back when those narrow bearings were installed?

mr.chips k

Looks to me it was taken out of service, not due to the crank, but those holes in the cylinders.

The pictures don't show it well, there must be 20 cracks on those journals.   This was the "complete engine" too.

One more to go through, thats probably ruined in some way as well.

seb fontana

The crank was welded re ground.

parkhunter@...

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 07:57 PM, mr.chips k wrote:
Had a crazy thought of putting the cobra into my 48 CC.

CoBras are fun to drive. They have a different sound. Great novelty at car shows too.

As Andy says, fill it with water and see if it leaks. If it only leaks a tiny bit, try K&W or another block sealer.

Theoretically, most of the parts should swap between the CoBra and the cast blocks. But I’ve never done an engine rebuild, so I’d listen to Butch, Jim, or some of the other experts.

Have fun!

Park

Jim Hostetter

Off the subject. I don't know where else to ask. Is there a Crosley  engine rebuilder in the Los Angeles  area? TIA

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 07:57 PM, mr.chips k wrote:
Had a crazy thought of putting the cobra into my 48 CC.

CoBras are fun to drive. They have a different sound. Great novelty at car shows too.

As Andy says, fill it with water and see if it leaks. If it only leaks a tiny bit, try K&W or another block sealer.

Theoretically, most of the parts should swap between the CoBra and the cast blocks. But I’ve never done an engine rebuild, so I’d listen to Butch, Jim, or some of the other experts.

Have fun!

Park

Jim Bollman

I can answer one of your questions. Towards the bottom of every message is a line of links, the last link is “New Topic”. If you click on that link you get a new thread that you choose the topic so that it doesn’t get lost in another thread.

I don’t know of an engine builder in the LA area but there may be one.  Looks like about 7 hours to Service Motors in NV. The West Coast Region may know of a builder, try their president Rick Alexander <tracplanning@...>

Jim...