Topics

Crosley near Dayton

paul

Gang, I bought the Crosley "jeep" today. the story goes that it came from a circus where they locked the steering, set a little throttle, and a bear "drove" it in circles under the big top.   Paul Rinehart

Gene Smith

Fixing up the Crosley will be the easy part. Now you have to look for a bear suit…
~Gene Smith~
bearly suitable, in Houston

On Mar 26, 2018, at 1:27 PM, paul <bikertrash@...> wrote:

Gang, I bought the Crosley "jeep" today. the story goes that it came from a circus where they locked the steering, set a little throttle, and a bear "drove" it in circles under the big top. Paul Rinehart

paul

Gene, I'm fat 'nuff but my legs aren't long enough. the "seat" is clear back over the rear wheel houses. I wondered when I saw pix, the bear story makes sense. the former-former owner is a retired school teacher. maybe he can shed more light.  appears to be a 51-52 chassis, 9 inch juice brakes, engine not stuck.  no paper, have to hope somebody has any old birth cert with a CC or CD matching plate they might part with....  Paul

On 3/26/2018 2:29 PM, Gene Smith wrote:
Fixing up the Crosley will be the easy part. Now you have to look for a bear suit…
~Gene Smith~
bearly suitable, in Houston

On Mar 26, 2018, at 1:27 PM, paul <bikertrash@...> wrote:

Gang, I bought the Crosley "jeep" today. the story goes that it came from a circus where they locked the steering, set a little throttle, and a bear "drove" it in circles under the big top. Paul Rinehart

Jeremy Rutherford

Just couldn’t get it out of your system eh? That thing will be awesome,  I think it needs to go army green though!

P.S.  I just picked up a braje intake and dual Tillotson’s for the pickup,  still looking for the other bits,  post up a video when you get that bad boy going

paul

Jeremy, I figured if you caught it on the mail list and knew it was near Dayton you would laugh and know where it would wind up. the pickup was forlorn enough to grab one's heart but this little orphan stole mine at first sight. congrats on the finds for the pickup, you are moving along.   Paul

On 3/27/2018 12:24 AM, Jeremy Rutherford wrote:
Just couldn’t get it out of your system eh? That thing will be awesome,  I think it needs to go army green though!

P.S.  I just picked up a braje intake and dual Tillotson’s for the pickup,  still looking for the other bits,  post up a video when you get that bad boy going

Jeremy Rutherford

Haha, yes I thought of you as soon as I saw Dayton,  gave me a chuckle when I saw that you bought it.  Looks like it was a great buy,  I’m sure it would have been on my trailer had it been so close to me

paul

problem is no paper or tag since it was probably used in a circus.  need to hunt around, any body style post war will work since it has been "customized."  bet I find someone with the stuff I will need and transferable.
never know, a real rag-muffin car might find it's way here, like I said,  Crosleys find ME, then I wind up going to get them. this was the closest ever to home. Gene Smith already warned me how hot a bear costume will be in the summer!!   it may be an earlier chassis, has the 9 inch drum brakes but found what looks to be a hydraulic clutch master cylinder being used for the brakes with a plastic remote reservoir.  no speedometer, lots of little  things to worry about if I try to make it streetable. it may just wind up as a parking lot cruiser.   Paul

On 3/27/2018 11:31 AM, Jeremy Rutherford wrote:
Haha, yes I thought of you as soon as I saw Dayton,  gave me a chuckle when I saw that you bought it.  Looks like it was a great buy,  I’m sure it would have been on my trailer had it been so close to me
_._,_._,_

David M Perry

Paul,  I think it should be called a "Creep"

 Dave Perry        OldSchool Restorations   North Alabama  USA

paul

Dave,   I was thinking Grizzly or Grizzled but Creep makes a ton (maybe only a half ton) of sense.  right now it's just a lovable little bump on my trailer.  friend wondered if I  couldn't find a bigger trailer.   Paul