Crosley military starter


Jon Ciauri
 

I would like to buy a starter for my military engine. The mounting holes are about 4.5 inches center to center. Jon 909 455 6830.


David Reina
 

Hi Jon,

Does your generator have the ring gear on the flywheel? I have a Korean war era generator but it doesn’t have any ring gear. I’d like to put a starter on mine too but would have to pull the flywheel off to install a ring gear. Otherwise I’m sure it would be the standard larger size Crosley starter.

Dave Reina
Brooklyn, NY

On Mar 27, 2021, at 2:26 PM, Jon Ciauri via groups.io <jlciauri=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I would like to buy a starter for my military engine. The mounting holes are about 4.5 inches center to center. Jon 909 455 6830.





Jon Ciauri
 

Dave
My engine appears to be a conglomeration of pieces . The flywheel was in the box but not attached .it had 3 bolt holes and the crank has 6 . It has the ring gear .This engine is going into a Cushman truckster to cruise the neighborhood so no need for 6 bolts .the starter mounting pad dictates which starter to use.4.5 inches vs.5.5 inches bolt holes center to center. Jon

On Mar 27, 2021, at 12:59 PM, David Reina via groups.io <reinadesigns=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Jon,

Does your generator have the ring gear on the flywheel? I have a Korean war era generator but it doesn’t have any ring gear. I’d like to put a starter on mine too but would have to pull the flywheel off to install a ring gear. Otherwise I’m sure it would be the standard larger size Crosley starter.

Dave Reina
Brooklyn, NY

On Mar 27, 2021, at 2:26 PM, Jon Ciauri via groups.io <jlciauri=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would like to buy a starter for my military engine. The mounting holes are about 4.5 inches center to center. Jon 909 455 6830.



David Reina
 

Hi Jon,

Sounds like an interesting project. Is the Crosley motor more HP than the original Cushman? Hope you post a picture when you are done.

Regards,
Dave

On Mar 28, 2021, at 9:04 AM, Jon Ciauri via groups.io <jlciauri=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Dave
My engine appears to be a conglomeration of pieces . The flywheel was in the box but not attached .it had 3 bolt holes and the crank has 6 . It has the ring gear .This engine is going into a Cushman truckster to cruise the neighborhood so no need for 6 bolts .the starter mounting pad dictates which starter to use.4.5 inches vs.5.5 inches bolt holes center to center. Jon
On Mar 27, 2021, at 12:59 PM, David Reina via groups.io <reinadesigns=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Jon,

Does your generator have the ring gear on the flywheel? I have a Korean war era generator but it doesn’t have any ring gear. I’d like to put a starter on mine too but would have to pull the flywheel off to install a ring gear. Otherwise I’m sure it would be the standard larger size Crosley starter.

Dave Reina
Brooklyn, NY

On Mar 27, 2021, at 2:26 PM, Jon Ciauri via groups.io <jlciauri=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would like to buy a starter for my military engine. The mounting holes are about 4.5 inches center to center. Jon 909 455 6830.







Jon Ciauri
 

The Cushman engine made 8 hp. The Cushman truckster I bought was in hundreds of parts without an engine. I bought a Harbor freight 13 hp engine .because this engine turns the wrong way for the Cushman trans. I had to turn the engine around and point the power end forward. I mounted a comet clutch on the crank and connected the driven pulley on a jack shaft running along side the engine back to the original trans. Which was still in its stock location.the trans. Was driven by sprockets and
A chain . This system worked very well and I drove it for several months with no problems. So I am going to replace the engine and transWith the Crosley engine and trans.and drive the trans the same way. The only contact the engine and trans will be the pilot bearing on the rear of the bell housing,in a bolt on aluminum plate.The bell housing will be empty except for the flywheel with a bolt on sprocket to drive the sprocket on the jack shaft
Jon Ciauri new member

On Mar 30, 2021, at 12:09 PM, David Reina via groups.io <reinadesigns=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Jon,

Sounds like an interesting project. Is the Crosley motor more HP than the original Cushman? Hope you post a picture when you are done.
Ou
Regards,
Dave

On Mar 28, 2021, at 9:04 AM, Jon Ciauri via groups.io <jlciauri=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Dave
My engine appears to be a conglomeration of pieces . The flywheel was in the box but not attached .it had 3 bolt holes and the crank has 6 . It has the ring gear .This engine is going into a Cushman truckster to cruise the neighborhood so no need for 6 bolts .the starter mounting pad dictates which starter to use.4.5 inches vs.5.5 inches bolt holes center to center. Jon
On Mar 27, 2021, at 12:59 PM, David Reina via groups.io <reinadesigns=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Jon,

Does your generator have the ring gear on the flywheel? I have a Korean war era generator but it doesn’t have any ring gear. I’d like to put a starter on mine too but would have to pull the flywheel off to install a ring gear. Otherwise I’m sure it would be the standard larger size Crosley starter.

Dave Reina
Brooklyn, NY

On Mar 27, 2021, at 2:26 PM, Jon Ciauri via groups.io <jlciauri=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would like to buy a starter for my military engine. The mounting holes are about 4.5 inches center to center. Jon 909 455 6830.