Topics

Crosley In a Boat?

PCeditorpro

So I was cleaning out a old building used for storage at a boat yard that closed back in the 1980s or 1990s. Finding out anything about this yard has been a struggle no one knows anything. So we opened a door and found an entire room full of motors. Everything from inboards to outboards and gas to diesel most are in great shape. We pulled one of the Honda out poured in some gas and it fired right up. The only markings I was able to find on the plane brown box was "crosley -1940" on it. It's rusty and the top of the distributor was hit with something but other then that it looks complete. It also has what looks to be a heat exchanger on it. Now I know nothing about this engine but I have been working in a boat yard for 7 years. I would like to either restore this and build a small wooden boat to go with it or sell it to someone that knows more about this engine that will give it a good home. I don't want a piece of history to just be left behind and thrown out. Any knowledge would be helpful thanks.

James Dlapa

Have you any pictures?

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 6:02 PM PCeditorpro <pceditorpro@...> wrote:
[...]

I'll get some tomorrow morning.

Spock Arnold

Is it a 2 cyl?  I have heard of a few that were done.  Of course there were several 4 cyl marine applications including several types of racers

On Jun 12, 2018 8:59 PM, PCeditorpro <pceditorpro@...> wrote:
[...]

It is a 4 cylinder. I do know the yard specialized in commercial work like tugs and fishing boats.

PCeditorpro

I grab a few pictures before my phone died on me.

graywanderer.az51

Crosleys engines were used in inboard Aerojet setups. I have one with the cradle and prop set up. Some outbounds were made with the 4 cylinder engine vertical.  If I remember they had the Homelite name.

http://crosleyautoclub.com/EngineTree/Crosley_Eng_Tree-3.html

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

PCeditorpro

So I'm going to ask saying the internals are in good shape and I just need a distributor, carb, and new gaskets. Plus a transmission, stuffing box, and driveshaft how much would this cost me to fix up and use?

parkhunter@...

Here’s the parts vendor page on the Crosley Auto Club website...

http://crosleyautoclub.com/PartsSuppliers.html

The top three listings - Service, Edwards, and Yankee - can get you any engine part you need, surprisingly affordably. The boat-specific stuff will be harder, but ask around on this website.

I’ve seen picture of neat little wood racing boats powered by Crosley engines. You’ve got a treasure there!

Park

PCeditorpro

Yea I found pictures of those about an hour ago and I want to build one. I'm not a huge wood worker but I might need to learn  how to build a small wooden boat to put it in. Once I get a fly wheel I can figure out if something newer will fit transmission wise. Are these easy to work on? I don't have a lot of experience tearing down and rebuilding like this.