Topics

Crosley frame strength?

Seb can you share the "how to" on adapting tot he T'tube (and why didn't you convert to an open driveshaft?) and hoe to bolt to the stock bellhousing. I have midget 1500 trans and a disc brake Crosley rear.  Just getting started on completing an unfinished '50s project. jim murphy lftrn97@....

Robert Connearney

The Midget 1500 engine is not a derivative of the earlier (850 to 1275 cc) engine, but is a Triumph Spitfire unit. I'm not positive, but I can't imagine that it uses a Spridget transmission, so be wary of any instructions on how to adapt to a Crosley. Converting to an open rear end is pretty much obligatory, for better ratio, and ability to accommodate higher torque of proposed engine transplant. An open rear will necessitate suspension modification to absorb the torque reaction, e.g., semi-elliptic springs, or "ladder bars". 

I have a Crosley drive train that the previous owner replaced the transmission with a Volvo 4-speed + OD, making an adapter to the engine, and converting the output end to match the Crosley torque tube. (Reportedly a fairly simple conversion.) I could provide more detailed information if you're not in a hurry. (I think this is an overkill for your application.)

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2/10/19 5:26 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Crosley frame strength?

Seb can you share the "how to" on adapting tot he T'tube (and why didn't you convert to an open driveshaft?) and hoe to bolt to the stock bellhousing. I have midget 1500 trans and a disc brake Crosley rear.  Just getting started on completing an unfinished '50s project. jim murphy lftrn97@....