Topics

Crosley Carter Carburetor

nobadrivers

Hi,
My 51 Crosley with the Carter WO carburetor has a wicked vacuum leak at the end of the throttle shaft in the base of the carburetor.  Can't keep the car running stalls at idle. Has anyone had any luck reaming the throttle shaft bores and installing brass bushings?  Is this common with these?
Thanks,
Glenn

crosleyshortsport

Some may disagree with me, however I suggest changing the carb to a Tillotson. Once they are properly set, they keep working, trouble free.

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018, 7:27 PM nobadrivers <scanner2@...> wrote:
Hi,
My 51 Crosley with the Carter WO carburetor has a wicked vacuum leak at the end of the throttle shaft in the base of the carburetor.  Can't keep the car running stalls at idle. Has anyone had any luck reaming the throttle shaft bores and installing brass bushings?  Is this common with these?
Thanks,
Glenn

L.E. Hardee

A temporary fix might be to pack the gap with some thick old fashioned axle grease to seal the leak.  You would have to reapply every now and then when the gas fumes dissolve the grease.

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 7:40 PM, crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:
Some may disagree with me, however I suggest changing the carb to a Tillotson. Once they are properly set, they keep working, trouble free.

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018, 7:27 PM nobadrivers <scanner2@...> wrote:
Hi,
My 51 Crosley with the Carter WO carburetor has a wicked vacuum leak at the end of the throttle shaft in the base of the carburetor.  Can't keep the car running stalls at idle. Has anyone had any luck reaming the throttle shaft bores and installing brass bushings?  Is this common with these?
Thanks,
Glenn

nobadrivers

I ordered a reamer and bushing kit on eBay.  I’m going to give that a try.  I used to use those kits many years ago.  However I do have a Tillotson carb on a 50 Crosley wagon that I might throw on the Hot Shot for now and try it while I’m waiting to fix the Carter.

On Aug 1, 2018, at 7:58 PM, L.E. Hardee <hftsales@...> wrote:

[...]

Roy McLaurin

You may use shim stock.

nobadrivers

My bushing kit arrived and I installed the bushings in the throttle body today.  I have to say I was very pleased with the installation.  There is no looseness in the shaft now. I'll assemble the carburetor tomorrow and install it onto the car and hope the problem is solved.

crosleyshortsport

It will be interesting to see if this does the the trick,  I wonder if You will become the Club carb man. The club suffered a great loss a few years ago, when Chuck Koehler passed away. He made our Tillotson carbs come to life !  He even took the time to make them look new again. Neil Daglow was our Carter carb man, also passed on.