Topics

Crankshaft Pulley.

Rick Geithmann

Hello All. I need a bit of advice.

I had a major problem when my fan assembly suddenly let loose and took out my radiator. The radiator is being re-cored but the fan assembly also bent the front flange on the crank pulley. What is the best way to remove the pulley?

I know there is just the one bolt holding it on but how do you keep the crank from turning?

Rick Geithmann

Don Pitchford

Rick,
Ouch, that really bites. The first thing I would try is to put the car in gear and have someone press the brake peddle. Giving the ratchet/socket a series of quick jerks should break it loose. Steady pressure likely won't do it, but the quick jerking force just might. This would be a great time for an impact driver if you have one. Once you have the bolt out a 3-jaw puller should pull the damaged pulley off. In a way it's nice the radiator is out of the car, so you have room to work on the pulley. (Lemonade out of lemons and all that stuff!)

Don Ptichford

On Sunday, November 29, 2020, 08:24:47 AM CST, Rick Geithmann <pzkw-6@...> wrote:

Hello All. I need a bit of advice.

I had a major problem when my fan assembly suddenly let loose and took out my radiator. The radiator is being re-cored but the fan assembly also bent the front flange on the crank pulley. What is the best way to remove the pulley?

I know there is just the one bolt holding it on but how do you keep the crank from turning?

Rick Geithmann

Attachments:

L.E. Hardee

Have you tried to straighten the bent pulley?   I have repaired pulleys damaged during motor installation before.  I used large channel lock pliers to open flanges bent in and a hammer to bend in a flange open too wide.