Topics

Crankshaft install

Steve Perry

Edited

Hello everyone..
Im attempting to install the crankshaft. I have the Service Manual and read through the section a few times. The small gear was not installed on the crankshaft. I have a notch in my crankshaft spline and I can’t find any markings on the crankshaft gear. If I’m reading it right the notched spline will need to match up to a specific area on one side or the other of the crankshaft gear.
I have more than one crankshaft gear and haven’t found a mark on any of them.
Thanks, 
Steve Perry

Steve Perry

OK..
I think I figured it out. The small gear that I was trying to find a mark on drives the oil pump and distributor. The other gear that slides on after the spring does have a punch mark..
so, I’m good for now..
Thanks,
Steve

dale@servicemotors.net

Look on the outside of the gear or the face which faces the front of the engine.

On Mar 28, 2020, at 12:50 PM, Steve Perry <sperryfish@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hello everyone..
Im attempting to install the crankshaft. I have the Service Manual and read through the section a few times. The small gear was not installed on the crankshaft. I have a notch in my crankshaft spline and I can’t find any markings on the crankshaft gear. If I’m reading it right the notched spline will need to match up to a specific area on one side or the other of the crankshaft gear.
I have more than one crankshaft gear and haven’t found a mark on any of them.
Thanks, 
Steve Perry

Steve Perry

OK, 
I put the crankshaft in and followed the manual and installed the camshaft. When I rolled the engine over to get compression on cylinder 1 it never got compression. I watched and when the piston is coming up a valve is always open. I assume that I’ve used the wrong tooth on the crankshaft and the timing is off. Does someone have a photo showing a crank and the mark on the spline so I can see if the notch on my crank is the same?
 Thanks for any help..
Steve

nobadrivers

I'm actually installing my crankshaft tonight or tomorrow.  If I get it done before someone else sends you a picture I'll send you a picture of the crank & cam (valve timing) and the distributor position. 

David

When I assemble a Crosley engine, I pay no attention to the timing marks.  If you put #1 cylinder on TDC, the cam is set so that the first cylinder’s cam lobes both point downward, and are equally arrayed around the cam follower; the rotor button should point forward (ignition timing has to be set anyway, and a general forward pointing is close enough to allow the engine to start).  This always works for me.

David

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, March 30, 2020 3:44 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Crankshaft install

I'm actually installing my crankshaft tonight or tomorrow.  If I get it done before someone else sends you a picture I'll send you a picture of the crank & cam (valve timing) and the distributor position. 

Steve Perry

I appreciate the replies..
David, when you say “ the first cylinder’s cam lobes both point downward”  are you saying that the cam lobes in cylinder 1 are both somewhat depressing the valves such as having one valve opening and the other closing?
Steve

David

No.  Both valves are closed, and the lobes are equidistant from their followers (each just touching its follower).  I’ll take a picture of this and post it tomorrow morning.

David

Sent: Monday, March 30, 2020 5:53 PM

David, when you say “ the first cylinder’s cam lobes both point downward”  are you saying that the cam lobes in cylinder 1 are both somewhat depressing the valves such as having one valve opening and the other closing?
Steve

David

I thought, why am I waiting until morning, I’m bored with all this self quarantine stuff, so I went to my workshop and took the pictures.  In these pics, you can see the position of #1 cylinder cam lobes, and in the other shot the business end of the rotor button pointing forward, plus the TDC mark on the crank pulley.    David

Sent: Monday, March 30, 2020 6:50 PM

Steve

Richard Williams

here is a dot on the small gear. it must line with the crank for timing. Clean that gear really good. it is there hard to see. maybe with an eye loop. I had the same problem. It isn't that easy to line up but keep trying till they match.  Rich W.

On Monday, March 30, 2020, 01:30:27 PM PDT, Steve Perry <sperryfish@...> wrote:

OK, 
I put the crankshaft in and followed the manual and installed the camshaft. When I rolled the engine over to get compression on cylinder 1 it never got compression. I watched and when the piston is coming up a valve is always open. I assume that I’ve used the wrong tooth on the crankshaft and the timing is off. Does someone have a photo showing a crank and the mark on the spline so I can see if the notch on my crank is the same?
 Thanks for any help..
Steve

Steve Perry

Hey David.. that worked. Thanks for the photos.
Im going to build some type of makeshift test stand and hopefully get this running this week.
I appreciate all the help..
Steve

David

You’re welcome.  I’m glad to help any time I can.  Crosley folks have always been generous to me with their time/help.

David

Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 4:26 PM

Hey David.. that worked. Thanks for the photos.
Im going to build some type of makeshift test stand and hopefully get this running this week.
I appreciate all the help..
Steve

nobadrivers

Steve,
Attached is an engine caddy you can make for test run I will be making one also.

Steve Perry

That’s great and simple too...
Thanks

On Mar 31, 2020, at 6:40 PM, nobadrivers <scanner2@...> wrote:

Steve,
Attached is an engine caddy you can make for test run I will be making one also.
<Crosley Engine Caddy.jpg>

nobadrivers

I didn't have a mark on the crankshaft pulley like Dave showed in his picture.  So I got number one cylinder to TDC and timing mark on flywheel visible in the timing mark window on the bell housing.  I then lined up the camshaft gear two dots with the one dot on the camshaft drive gear for my valve timing.  For static ignition timing I positioned the distributor for the ignition points just about to open (points opening fires ignition coil) and rotor pointing towards #1 cylinder distributor cap tower.  So preliminary static timing will be at 0 degrees when engine starts.  From there I can set the timing with a timing light. 

David

I keep a small bottle of white nail polish in my workshop (has a built-in brush).  Each time I assemble/reassemble an engine, I find TDC and mark it on the crank pully (after first removing the old mark).  I do a minor rebuild after each season of racing (main and rod bearings replaced), so barring some disaster, my engines get torn down at least once a year.  It has been a few years since I blew an engine, so I have managed to avoid disasters by learning what breaks in race-prepared engines—fingers crossed.

David

Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2020 10:09 AM

I didn't have a mark on the crankshaft pulley like Dave showed in his picture.  So I got number one cylinder to TDC and timing mark on flywheel visible in the timing mark window on the bell housing.  I then lined up the camshaft gear two dots with the one dot on the camshaft drive gear for my valve timing.  For static ignition timing I positioned the distributor for the ignition points just about to open (points opening fires ignition coil) and rotor pointing towards #1 cylinder distributor cap tower.  So preliminary static timing will be at 0 degrees when engine starts.  From there I can set the timing with a timing light. 

nobadrivers

Great idea with the minor rebuilds for peace of mind keeps clearances in check!  This is my first Crosley engine I have had apart.  A little different than what I am used to but all of the principles the same!

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io [mailto:Crosley-Gang@groups.io] On Behalf Of David via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2020 1:22 PM

I keep a small bottle of white nail polish in my workshop (has a built-in brush).  Each time I assemble/reassemble an engine, I find TDC and mark it on the crank pully (after first removing the old mark).  I do a minor rebuild after each season of racing (main and rod bearings replaced), so barring some disaster, my engines get torn down at least once a year.  It has been a few years since I blew an engine, so I have managed to avoid disasters by learning what breaks in race-prepared engines—fingers crossed.

David

Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2020 10:09 AM