Topics

Crankshaft install

Steve Perry

Edited

Hello everyone..
Im attempting to install the crankshaft. I have the Service Manual and read through the section a few times. The small gear was not installed on the crankshaft. I have a notch in my crankshaft spline and I can’t find any markings on the crankshaft gear. If I’m reading it right the notched spline will need to match up to a specific area on one side or the other of the crankshaft gear.
I have more than one crankshaft gear and haven’t found a mark on any of them.
Thanks,
Steve Perry

Steve Perry

OK..
I think I figured it out. The small gear that I was trying to find a mark on drives the oil pump and distributor. The other gear that slides on after the spring does have a punch mark..
so, I’m good for now..
Thanks,
Steve

dale@servicemotors.net

Look on the outside of the gear or the face which faces the front of the engine.

On Mar 28, 2020, at 12:50 PM, Steve Perry <sperryfish@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hello everyone..
Im attempting to install the crankshaft. I have the Service Manual and read through the section a few times. The small gear was not installed on the crankshaft. I have a notch in my crankshaft spline and I can’t find any markings on the crankshaft gear. If I’m reading it right the notched spline will need to match up to a specific area on one side or the other of the crankshaft gear.
I have more than one crankshaft gear and haven’t found a mark on any of them.
Thanks,
Steve Perry

Steve Perry

OK,
I put the crankshaft in and followed the manual and installed the camshaft. When I rolled the engine over to get compression on cylinder 1 it never got compression. I watched and when the piston is coming up a valve is always open. I assume that I’ve used the wrong tooth on the crankshaft and the timing is off. Does someone have a photo showing a crank and the mark on the spline so I can see if the notch on my crank is the same?
 Thanks for any help..
Steve

nobadrivers

I'm actually installing my crankshaft tonight or tomorrow.  If I get it done before someone else sends you a picture I'll send you a picture of the crank & cam (valve timing) and the distributor position.

David

When I assemble a Crosley engine, I pay no attention to the timing marks.  If you put #1 cylinder on TDC, the cam is set so that the first cylinder’s cam lobes both point downward, and are equally arrayed around the cam follower; the rotor button should point forward (ignition timing has to be set anyway, and a general forward pointing is close enough to allow the engine to start).  This always works for me.

David

Sent from Mail for Windows 10