Topics

Crankshaft Identificatiom

Is  the crankshaft on the right steel or nodular? Trying to determine whether either of these is not just cast iron.

dale@servicemotors.net

The one on the left is cast and the one on the right is steel.

On Feb 5, 2019, at 12:51 PM, Jim Murphy <lftrn97@...> wrote:

Is  the crankshaft on the right steel or nodular? Trying to determine whether either of these is not just cast iron.

Saltsgaver, Mike

Hmmm….I would have guessed the opposite.  The numbers on the one on the right sure look cast in instead of forged (or were they cast steel?).

Hella Electronics Corporation, 43811 Plymouth Oaks Blvd., 48170, Plymouth Michigan
This document is to be treated confidentially. Its contents are not to be passed on, duplicated, exploited or disclosed without our express permission. All rights reserved, especially the right to apply for protective rights.

Does it matter  that the snout appears so much bigger and what is the purpose of the "tail"?

dale@servicemotors.net

The one with the tail is for a bearcat outboard boat engine.  The one on the left is for a car but its a cast crank.  I bet if you have it magna-fluxed it would be cracked.

On Feb 5, 2019, at 2:07 PM, Jim Murphy <lftrn97@...> wrote:

Does it matter  that the snout appears so much bigger and what is the purpose of the "tail"?

so does Bearcat need to be modified to fit a trans?

seb fontana

Need to have more info as to what other parts you want to use? What block, what crank case, what trans? As you can see the H'lite/B'cat has no provision for a flywheel or pilot bushing for trans, front splines won't accept a Crosley pulley...So short answer is no; long answer is yes with lots of planning and mix/match of parts and some machining..

Standard CIBA block and crankcase #103586 from about April 1949. MG Midget 1500 trans..

Jim Bollman

This is a drawing Barry Seel posted 15+ years ago on how he converts a Homelite/Bearcat crank. I have hears of other approaches but this seems like the strongest.

On Feb 6, 2019, at 6:56 PM, Jim Murphy <lftrn97@...> wrote:

Standard CIBA block and crankcase #103586 from about April 1949. MG Midget 1500 trans..

seb fontana

OK..The bearcat [the hammer test proved it is steel] crank has 1/4 more stroke than the Crosley crank, will give 53 cu. in. with a Crosley block bore.  Compression ratio will probably be astronomical at a guess over 12:1..If you are building a engine for racing then I would suggest a H'lite/B'cat crankcase [machine work required] and oil pump, way beefier and better oil pressure..

Jim Bollman

Barry Seel also recommends using the heavier military generator engine crankcase and an aluminum pan for more strength. One that he converted for me he cut down a military aluminum pan and ground down the edges and it looks pretty good if you can't find a Braje or other aluminum pan.

On Feb 7, 2019, at 2:34 PM, seb fontana via Groups.Io <speedoo51@...> wrote:

OK..The bearcat [the hammer test proved it is steel] crank has 1/4 more stroke than the Crosley crank, will give 53 cu. in. with a Crosley block bore.  Compression ratio will probably be astronomical at a guess over 12:1..If you are building a engine for racing then I would suggest a H'lite/B'cat crankcase [machine work required] and oil pump, way beefier and better oil pressure..

David

Edited

Braje sumps, cam covers, side plates, and exhaust manifolds are still available from Braje.  The HD crankcases are getting hard to find.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10