Topics

correcting a title

paul
 

good morning gang.  has anyone successfully found a way to correct the year designation on an automobile title,  especially in Ohio?  the 47 Crosley convertible I just bought carries a 47 VIN number on the firewall and has a matching title but the title claims the year to be a 49. I realize that it's no biggie but have grabbed the proverbial tiger's tail and embarked on a crusade to fix the information. in typical bureaucratic function, no one in the Ohio government wants to touch  it.  the system has no cut and dried path to follow, I have had several suggestions from within the BMV but each only amounts to "go bother someone else."  probably the year designation has been on the title since new because in the day sometimes cars were titled by the year sold rather than the manufacture year, but everybody in the BMV seems to assume that it was a mistake in typing sometime and the general consensus is to go find where the mistake was made. I have followed the car back to 1993 when Ohio automated their system and purged all older titles from the system without micro filming them. the pre 1993 title was registered to a new owner in 2004 with the bad information, stone wall.  just hang it up and enjoy the Crosley?  all this because I wanted to run Year Of Manufacture license plates, but trying to pass off a CC with a CC VIN as being a CD won't fool any of you folks....  any bright ideas?  thnx,  Paul Rinehart

Butch
 

Paul,

That is a "State" issue and as such, will vary from State to State.

If the Title and VIN, designate it as a 49, then finding a 47 Title and VIN, will probably be the only way around it.

If it's a corresponding Title and tag, to the Sate you live in, just a Title transfer and registration, as normal would be required. If an out of State Title and Tag, then it would just be like purchasing a vehicle from out of State.

Fortunately, Crosley Tags were and are, attached with just two screws.

Butch

On 4/26/2018 8:02 AM, paul wrote:

good morning gang.  has anyone successfully found a way to correct the year designation on an automobile title,  especially in Ohio? the 47 Crosley convertible I just bought carries a 47 VIN number on the firewall and has a matching title but the title claims the year to be a 49. I realize that it's no biggie but have grabbed the proverbial tiger's tail and embarked on a crusade to fix the information. in typical bureaucratic function, no one in the Ohio government wants to touch  it.  the system has no cut and dried path to follow, I have had several suggestions from within the BMV but each only amounts to "go bother someone else."  probably the year designation has been on the title since new because in the day sometimes cars were titled by the year sold rather than the manufacture year, but everybody in the BMV seems to assume that it was a mistake in typing sometime and the general consensus is to go find where the mistake was made. I have followed the car back to 1993 when Ohio automated their system and purged all older titles from the system without micro filming them. the pre 1993 title was registered to a new owner in 2004 with the bad information, stone wall.  just hang it up and enjoy the Crosley? all this because I wanted to run Year Of Manufacture license plates, but trying to pass off a CC with a CC VIN as being a CD won't fool any of you folks....  any bright ideas?  thnx,  Paul Rinehart


paul
 

Butch,
 this is definitely a CC car and carries the proper 1947 (CC47-xxxxxx) VIN.  the 47 VIN appears on the title but the year designation on the title says 1949. anybody got aspirin? I think the state of Ohio hires off the street corner without interviews. then again maybe I cause my own headaches.  Paul

On 4/26/2018 8:23 AM, Butch via Groups.Io wrote:
Paul,

That is a "State" issue and as such, will vary from State to State.

If the Title and VIN, designate it as a 49, then finding a 47 Title and VIN, will probably be the only way around it.

If it's a corresponding Title and tag, to the Sate you live in, just a Title transfer and registration, as normal would be required. If an out of State Title and Tag, then it would just be like purchasing a vehicle from out of State.

Fortunately, Crosley Tags were and are, attached with just two screws.

Butch

Bob Hickman
 

some states use the date of sale rather than date of manufacture. Some states did not evem issue titles back then, your title should be fine,

bob hickman

----- Original Message -----
From: "paul" <bikertrash@...>
To: <Crosley-Gang@groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2018 5:02 AM
Subject: [Crosley-Gang] correcting a title



good morning gang. has anyone successfully found a way to correct the year designation on an automobile title, especially in Ohio? the 47 Crosley convertible I just bought carries a 47 VIN number on the firewall and has a matching title but the title claims the year to be a 49. I realize that it's no biggie but have grabbed the proverbial tiger's tail and embarked on a crusade to fix the information. in typical bureaucratic function, no one in the Ohio government wants to touch it. the system has no cut and dried path to follow, I have had several suggestions from within the BMV but each only amounts to "go bother someone else." probably the year designation has been on the title since new because in the day sometimes cars were titled by the year sold rather than the manufacture year, but everybody in the BMV seems to assume that it was a mistake in typing sometime and the general consensus is to go find where the mistake was made. I have followed the car back to 1993 when Ohio automated their system and purged all older titles from the system without micro filming them. the pre 1993 title was registered to a new owner in 2004 with the bad information, stone wall. just hang it up and enjoy the Crosley? all this because I wanted to run Year Of Manufacture license plates, but trying to pass off a CC with a CC VIN as being a CD won't fool any of you folks.... any bright ideas? thnx, Paul Rinehart

Jeremy Rutherford
 

Paul,

I’m not sure if it would do you any good, but I always work with the dmv here that is in a small town of about 2000 people. The ladies that work there have been there a long time and are a little more willing to help me out. They’re not quite as busy and burnt out as the bigger locations. It might be worth the drive if you have a small town dmv not too far away and a box of donuts never hurts, haha

On Apr 26, 2018, at 9:44 AM, Bob Hickman <bobhofaz@...> wrote:

some states use the date of sale rather than date of manufacture. Some states did not evem issue titles back then, your title should be fine,

bob hickman
----- Original Message ----- From: "paul" <bikertrash@...>
To: <Crosley-Gang@groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2018 5:02 AM
Subject: [Crosley-Gang] correcting a title



good morning gang. has anyone successfully found a way to correct the year designation on an automobile title, especially in Ohio? the 47 Crosley convertible I just bought carries a 47 VIN number on the firewall and has a matching title but the title claims the year to be a 49. I realize that it's no biggie but have grabbed the proverbial tiger's tail and embarked on a crusade to fix the information. in typical bureaucratic function, no one in the Ohio government wants to touch it. the system has no cut and dried path to follow, I have had several suggestions from within the BMV but each only amounts to "go bother someone else." probably the year designation has been on the title since new because in the day sometimes cars were titled by the year sold rather than the manufacture year, but everybody in the BMV seems to assume that it was a mistake in typing sometime and the general consensus is to go find where the mistake was made. I have followed the car back to 1993 when Ohio automated their system and purged all older titles from the system without micro filming them. the pre 1993 title was registered to a new owner in 2004 with the bad information, stone wall. just hang it up and enjoy the Crosley? all this because I wanted to run Year Of Manufacture license plates, but trying to pass off a CC with a CC VIN as being a CD won't fool any of you folks.... any bright ideas? thnx, Paul Rinehart


paul
 

Jeremy,
I started with an easy going, smaller town DMV office. corrections like this are not to be done without the order of a much higher power. I'm just nutso I know, but with a need to cover my behind. every step says go higher in the food chain but no-one wants to take the responsibility of altering an official document, even if it is proven not to comply with the state's standard.  probably best is forget it and enjoy driving the Crosley convertible as is.  Paul Rinehart

On 4/26/2018 10:59 AM, Jeremy Rutherford wrote:
Paul,

I’m not sure if it would do you any good, but I always work with the dmv here that is in a small town of about 2000 people. The ladies that work there have been there a long time and are a little more willing to help me out. They’re not quite as busy and burnt out as the bigger locations. It might be worth the drive if you have a small town dmv not too far away and a box of donuts never hurts, haha
On Apr 26, 2018, at 9:44 AM, Bob Hickman <bobhofaz@...> wrote:

some states use the date of sale rather than date of manufacture. Some states did not evem issue titles back then, your title should be fine,

bob hickman
----- Original Message ----- From: "paul" <bikertrash@...>
To: <Crosley-Gang@groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2018 5:02 AM
Subject: [Crosley-Gang] correcting a title


good morning gang. has anyone successfully found a way to correct the year designation on an automobile title, especially in Ohio? the 47 Crosley convertible I just bought carries a 47 VIN number on the firewall and has a matching title but the title claims the year to be a 49. I realize that it's no biggie but have grabbed the proverbial tiger's tail and embarked on a crusade to fix the information. in typical bureaucratic function, no one in the Ohio government wants to touch it. the system has no cut and dried path to follow, I have had several suggestions from within the BMV but each only amounts to "go bother someone else." probably the year designation has been on the title since new because in the day sometimes cars were titled by the year sold rather than the manufacture year, but everybody in the BMV seems to assume that it was a mistake in typing sometime and the general consensus is to go find where the mistake was made. I have followed the car back to 1993 when Ohio automated their system and purged all older titles from the system without micro filming them. the pre 1993 title was registered to a new owner in 2004 with the bad information, stone wall. just hang it up and enjoy the Crosley? all this because I wanted to run Year Of Manufacture license plates, but trying to pass off a CC with a CC VIN as being a CD won't fool any of you folks.... any bright ideas? thnx, Paul Rinehart

paul
 

Bob,
I think you are right but I'm a paranoid old combat veteran and worry about the "what if."    were it a 55 Chevy with the proper matching 55 VIN on the car and title but the title claimed 1957, suppose I am driving along an an officer runs the plate for any reason, he's going to pull me over. most people know a 57 Chevy by those vertical tail fins and my car doesn't have them. he is probably going to impound the car and at least hand me a stack of tickets for improper registration. now even though I'm innocent I will be stuck with towing and impound fees plus a loss of time just getting the car back. worse yet say I am involved in an accident, not my fault but when the at fault driver's insurance figures it out they might cause a stink. Ohio is a stickler for "right" even if it's obviously wrong, they don't care how obvious the "wrong" is, believe the paper work is correct.  I appreciate the reminder. finally I don't want to run 1949 YOM plates on  a CC and take the gentle in fun ribbing, can't fool you guys. were the shoe on the other foot, I'd be ribbing the poor fellow......     Paul Rinehart

On 4/26/2018 10:44 AM, Bob Hickman wrote:
some states use the date of sale rather than date of manufacture. Some states did not evem issue titles back then, your title should be fine,

bob hickman

Butch
 

In that case, it MIGHT be relatively easy. A few photos or original ads, showing the two series, would possibly be all it might take, to correct a "typo".

Butch

On 4/26/2018 8:45 AM, paul wrote:
Butch,
 this is definitely a CC car and carries the proper 1947 (CC47-xxxxxx) VIN.  the 47 VIN appears on the title but the year designation on the title says 1949. anybody got aspirin? I think the state of Ohio hires off the street corner without interviews. then again maybe I cause my own headaches.  Paul

On 4/26/2018 8:23 AM, Butch via Groups.Io wrote:
Paul,

That is a "State" issue and as such, will vary from State to State.

If the Title and VIN, designate it as a 49, then finding a 47 Title and VIN, will probably be the only way around it.

If it's a corresponding Title and tag, to the Sate you live in, just a Title transfer and registration, as normal would be required. If an out of State Title and Tag, then it would just be like purchasing a vehicle from out of State.

Fortunately, Crosley Tags were and are, attached with just two screws.

Butch


Jeremy Rutherford
 

Haha, you’re probably right, before you know it they’ll want to impound it or something

On Apr 26, 2018, at 10:22 AM, paul <bikertrash@...> wrote:

Jeremy,
I started with an easy going, smaller town DMV office. corrections like this are not to be done without the order of a much higher power. I'm just nutso I know, but with a need to cover my behind. every step says go higher in the food chain but no-one wants to take the responsibility of altering an official document, even if it is proven not to comply with the state's standard. probably best is forget it and enjoy driving the Crosley convertible as is. Paul Rinehart

On 4/26/2018 10:59 AM, Jeremy Rutherford wrote:
Paul,

I’m not sure if it would do you any good, but I always work with the dmv here that is in a small town of about 2000 people. The ladies that work there have been there a long time and are a little more willing to help me out. They’re not quite as busy and burnt out as the bigger locations. It might be worth the drive if you have a small town dmv not too far away and a box of donuts never hurts, haha
On Apr 26, 2018, at 9:44 AM, Bob Hickman <bobhofaz@...> wrote:

some states use the date of sale rather than date of manufacture. Some states did not evem issue titles back then, your title should be fine,

bob hickman
----- Original Message ----- From: "paul" <bikertrash@...>
To: <Crosley-Gang@groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2018 5:02 AM
Subject: [Crosley-Gang] correcting a title


good morning gang. has anyone successfully found a way to correct the year designation on an automobile title, especially in Ohio? the 47 Crosley convertible I just bought carries a 47 VIN number on the firewall and has a matching title but the title claims the year to be a 49. I realize that it's no biggie but have grabbed the proverbial tiger's tail and embarked on a crusade to fix the information. in typical bureaucratic function, no one in the Ohio government wants to touch it. the system has no cut and dried path to follow, I have had several suggestions from within the BMV but each only amounts to "go bother someone else." probably the year designation has been on the title since new because in the day sometimes cars were titled by the year sold rather than the manufacture year, but everybody in the BMV seems to assume that it was a mistake in typing sometime and the general consensus is to go find where the mistake was made. I have followed the car back to 1993 when Ohio automated their system and purged all older titles from the system without micro filming them. the pre 1993 title was registered to a new owner in 2004 with the bad information, stone wall. just hang it up and enjoy the Crosley? all this because I wanted to run Year Of Manufacture license plates, but trying to pass off a CC with a CC VIN as being a CD won't fool any of you folks.... any bright ideas? thnx, Paul Rinehart




paul
 

that's where I started Butch. a "typo" can be corrected only in the county where it was made. if it was done on the date of first sale, it's fact.  I have even emailed pictures of this car and a 49 I once owned to the DMV in Columbus, along with the Crosley Club web page address, instructions to find the "Identifying Your Crosley" section, and an offer to have the car inspected by the Highway Patrol. no dice, they say "go find who made the typo." the 2004 title refers to a previous Ohio title but by flushing the system in 1993 there is no copy of an earlier title. titles were flushed in 1993 and all later titles on this Crosley say 1949 it cannot be blamed on a "source" and nobody wants to touch it. the latest thought is to do as you say with pictures, petition the Common Pleas court judges. bet they won't touch it either.    Paul Rinehart retired with time on my hands and being a jerk causing "problems" for state employees...BIG GRIN

On 4/26/2018 11:49 AM, Butch via Groups.Io wrote:
In that case, it MIGHT be relatively easy. A few photos or original ads, showing the two series, would possibly be all it might take, to correct a "typo".

Butch

Jim Bollman
 

Another approach that will require trust and a good friend. Sell it to someone in a state that has an easier DMV then when they get it corrected sell it back to you. Sales tax may make this approach to expensive but it should work.

Jim...

On Apr 26, 2018, at 12:22 PM, paul <bikertrash@...> wrote:

that's where I started Butch. a "typo" can be corrected only in the county where it was made. if it was done on the date of first sale, it's fact. I have even emailed pictures of this car and a 49 I once owned to the DMV in Columbus, along with the Crosley Club web page address, instructions to find the "Identifying Your Crosley" section, and an offer to have the car inspected by the Highway Patrol. no dice, they say "go find who made the typo." the 2004 title refers to a previous Ohio title but by flushing the system in 1993 there is no copy of an earlier title. titles were flushed in 1993 and all later titles on this Crosley say 1949 it cannot be blamed on a "source" and nobody wants to touch it. the latest thought is to do as you say with pictures, petition the Common Pleas court judges. bet they won't touch it either. Paul Rinehart retired with time on my hands and being a jerk causing "problems" for state employees...BIG GRIN

On 4/26/2018 11:49 AM, Butch via Groups.Io wrote:
In that case, it MIGHT be relatively easy. A few photos or original ads, showing the two series, would possibly be all it might take, to correct a "typo".

Butch


shawcolin26@...
 

It seems that it would be critical to get this corrected or else you are going to have a heck of a time getting them to do the warranty work on it or to rectify any recalls.

James Dlapa
 

You could also consider hiring a title service


On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 4:00 PM <shawcolin26@...> wrote:
It seems that it would be critical to get this corrected or else you are going to have a heck of a time getting them to do the warranty work on it or to rectify any recalls.

A50CROSLEYTRK@...
 

My concern would be insurance .
        bye    Robert

In a message dated 4/26/2018 8:03:00 AM Eastern Standard Time, bikertrash@... writes:


good morning gang.  has anyone successfully found a way to correct the
year designation on an automobile title,  especially in Ohio?  the 47
Crosley convertible I just bought carries a 47 VIN number on the
firewall and has a matching title but the title claims the year to be a
49. I realize that it's no biggie but have grabbed the proverbial
tiger's tail and embarked on a crusade to fix the information. in
typical bureaucratic function, no one in the Ohio government wants to
touch  it.  the system has no cut and dried path to follow, I have had
several suggestions from within the BMV but each only amounts to "go
bother someone else."  probably the year designation has been on the
title since new because in the day sometimes cars were titled by the
year sold rather than the manufacture year, but everybody in the BMV
seems to assume that it was a mistake in typing sometime and the general
consensus is to go find where the mistake was made. I have followed the
car back to 1993 when Ohio automated their system and purged all older
titles from the system without micro filming them. the pre 1993 title
was registered to a new owner in 2004 with the bad information, stone
wall.  just hang it up and enjoy the Crosley?  all this because I wanted
to run Year Of Manufacture license plates, but trying to pass off a CC
with a CC VIN as being a CD won't fool any of you folks....  any bright
ideas?  thnx,  Paul Rinehart



paul
 

Gang,
all great thoughts. insurance was one concern but I suspect the specialty companies have seen this before on cars left over and sold in a different model year. the friend idea hadn't crossed my mind. the title service had but having a title makes their fees seem awfully high. they might not be so high since there is an actual title. the big one, I NEVER CONSIDERED A RECALL OR WARRANTY WORK, OMG. oh wait if they accept it as a 49 then I sneak 2 extra years past them to get things done. mils id no worry, it only shows 03864 and the zero is so faded it's almost unreadable, it's been exposed a long time. either this is accurate or the odometer was reset when the amateur resto was done in the 80s or so. the battery box was done with galvanized and the paint didn't stick. one rocker panel doesn't fit well. the paint on the firewall probably is factory, a beautiful maroon. the rest of the paint is poorly done, rough and faded. easy resto though.  I think I can get both the 47 and the circus car on my 18 foot trailer in July.   Paul Rinehart

On 4/26/2018 3:13 PM, shawcolin26@... wrote:
It seems that it would be critical to get this corrected or else you are going to have a heck of a time getting them to do the warranty work on it or to rectify any recalls.

Randy C
 

    It is illogical why some states titled new cars as the year model in which they were first sold. Watching Hemmings Motor News online I recently discovered a 1958 Packard sedan that was sold new in early 1959 by a Studebaker Mercedes Benz dealer and a 1954 Packard Cavalier that was sold new by a Packard dealer in June of 1955. Luckily both were titled as the correct model year cars. But in a few states they would have been titled incorrectly. The state I live in goes by the manufacturers supplied serial numbers to determine the title designated year.

   Randy 

Robert Kirk
 

Elected State representatives, yours, should be able to cut through the red tape.  Do you due diligence with copies and pictures of VIN plate and this club has plenty of supporting evidence to prove your point.  Call or better drop into your State Reps office, explain, and let him to the magic. 

Jerriffic
 
Edited

Experienced a similar situation with a car title. My father inherited a horseless carriage from his uncles estate.  he had the local state rep help him obtain a title for the car.  At the time we didn't know the year of the car, only the name (Duer) and a couple of patent numbers.  My father wrote to the patent office in Washington D.C. with the info he had, this was1970.  They sent him a few patent drawings with a date of 1905 on the page.   He applied for the title and registered it as a 1905 Duer.  Fast forward 20 years, I rented  the car out to a movie set when a gentleman approached me with a book detailing every automobile every made.  In the book it described a 1907 Duer manufactured in1907 thru1910. To this day the title reads1905 Duer.  I don't have any plans on trying to change the date. 
 
Sorry for highjacking this thread. 
 Jerry B.

Jeremy Rutherford
 

So got any pics of the “1905”  duer, I’d love to see it,  where was this car made?


On Apr 27, 2018, at 3:32 PM, Jerriffic via Groups.Io <jer038@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Experienced a similar situation with a car title. My father inherited a horseless carriage from his uncles estate.  he had the local state rep help him obtain a title for the car.  At the time we didn't know the year of the car, only the name (Duer) and a couple of patent numbers.  My father wrote to the patent office in Washington D.C. with the info he had, this was1970.  They sent him a few patent drawings with a date of 1905 on the page.   He applied for the title and registered it as a 1905 Duer.  Fast forward 20 years, I rented  the car out to a movie set when a gentleman approached me with a book detailing every automobile every made.  In the book it described a 1907 Duer manufactured in1907 thru1910. To this day the title reads1905 Duer.  I don't have any plans on trying to change the date. 
 
Sorry for highjacking this thread. 
 Jerry B.

Jerriffic
 
Edited