Topics

Converting 6" mechanical brakes to hydraulic (not going to 9" but keeping the 6" drums)

Tim Hamblen

Looking thru an old Quarterly last night I saw a picture of a conversion that was sold years ago (Jim B put the picture in there) and Jim was asking if anyone had seen one. It used a small wheel cylinder. Well, it got me to thinking and researching and I found there are very small wheel cylinders on the market for the old Mini Coopers. 1//2 and 3/4 " bores.Jim's picture seems to show that the old adjusting system was reused and the cylinder up top replacing the round piece at top that the shoes went under. At first glance it appears doable .The wheel cylinders are fairly cheap, under 20 bucks, even under 15. I'm thinking of ordering one to use on some old backing plates to fab something up.The add says it uses some standard Lockheed / Wagner parts too. Has anyone ever seen one of these old systems or know of someone doing the retrofit ? With the scarcity of 9" brakes now it might be a viable fix.

Jim Bollman

Here is the picture Tim is referring too. I did some more digging and found some pictures Ron Marson sent me back a few years. They were on one of his cars. If Tim's project goes forward I have posted in the Crosley-Gang Restoration Photos an adapter to put the master Cylinder on a mechanical brake car, that the factory supplied that requires minimum modification. It would be easy to make for a fabricator.

Jim...

On Aug 29, 2018, at 11:09 AM, Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim@...> wrote:

[...]

Jeremy Rutherford

Very interesting project.  This seems like it would be a good offering from one of the suppliers if a kit could be put together.  Might have just been ahead of its time before.

On Aug 29, 2018, at 12:00 PM, Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:

[...]

Attachments:

Tim Hamblen

Looks pretty straight forward. I believe the Cooper cylinders are much smaller than this one. I've got a spare backing plate soaking. Gonna order a cylinder. I thought there might be some added retainers of some sort. Wonder if Ron could update this project ?

Tim Hamblen

I'd also want to explore using the other style of backing plate, the one that has the large "countersunk"  bolt for adjusting.

Tim Hamblen

Jim, do you know if Ron used one of the kits in the ad or he fabbed it up himself "

Jim Bollman

From the short note Ron sent me 9 years ago, it sounds like they were on the car when he bought it. Ron is a member of Crosley-Gang but I don't know if he looks at it often. I'll send him a note.

Jim...

On Aug 29, 2018, at 2:09 PM, Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim@...> wrote:

Jim, do you know if Ron used one of the kits in the ad or he fabbed it up himself "

Steve

I had a set of those conversions that I sold at Wauseon in 2010.  Required making a slight modification to the brake shoes as well.    In the 90’s Joey DeLorenzo did a neat conversion of 6 inch to disc.  He turned down the 6 inch drum to make it a hub for disc brake rotor.  I believe the disc brake was off a Vega or a Fiesta.  He wrote an article for the Quarterly at the time.

[...]

Also about 30 years ago, Bert Merema of Fulton, Illinois did fab his own set of wheel cylinders and converted a 48 to hydraulic.  Of course Bert was a master machinist and turned his own wheel cylinders.

[...]

Steve, it appears that the ends of the shoes , where they contact the cylinder is what has to be altered, does it sound about right ?

Kenn Cahill

I think that David Edwards showed me an example of one of the original ones. You might contact him to see if he can enlighten you.

Steve

As I remember, that is correct.  The ends of the shoes were trimmed off.

Steve, it appears that the ends of the shoes , where they contact the cylinder is what has to be altered, does it sound about right ?

Tim Hamblen

I have ordered a couple of the Mini Cooper cylinders. Kinda buying a pig in a poke since about all I know is what a picture shows. I stopped by local O'Reillys and looked at  what is on the shelf but nothing would work, too big. My 49 has both styles of mechanicals on it, the welded shoes and the cast steel ones. The welded shoes seem to be a good candidate as seen in the pictures. The cast shoes are a bit of a pain as they have nothing to hold them while you slip the drum on.They might be a candidate for the typical "Pin, spring and washer" system used.While cleaning up some backing plates I have I found yet another variant in mechanical brakes. One had an adjuster I had never seen before.

PATRICIA GRITTI

Hi
Have been guilty of "Improving" my VC so I guess this is the pot calling the kettle black. Had a Model A Ford a long time. The original Ford brakes were RESTORED. The Ford brakes were designed to stop the car efficiently. Those brakes never failed me in twenty three years of use. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Don

> On August 29, 2018 at 9:22 PM Kenn Cahill <drkenncahill@...> wrote:
>

> I think that David Edwards showed me an example of one of the original ones. You might contact him to see if he can enlighten you.

Tim Hamblen

LOL. Well, Aerojet engine with Schneider cam, header , Braje intake, aluminum radiator, converted to 12 v with alternator , electric fan and electric fuel pump. The "if it ain't broke , don't fix it " ship sailed a long time ago.

PATRICIA GRITTI

Yes, Fageol big block, 10/1 compression, Crane cam, Braje intake, header, Harley muffler & electronic ignition. Still stopping with stock 9" brakes!
Don

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone

From: Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io
Date: Thu, Aug 30, 2018 4:10 PM