Clutch chatter

Patrick Keller

The first nice day and I took my 52’ wagon for a drive. For awhile the clutch would chatter in reverse. I would just push the car back into the garage so not a big deal. During this drive the clutch would chatter in 3rd gear. Is this something that can be cleaned/adjusted or just replaced?

Jim Bollman

Several possibilities, the clutch being one of them but a lot of the time it is bad/weak motor and transmission mounts. Soft mounts let the engine rock more than it should changing the carburetor and clutch linkage to move and cause an oscillation effect with the clutch. There should be a few more ideas posted soon but that is a quick place to check that will cause other problems if left on repaired.

Jim...

On Apr 7, 2021, at 9:52 AM, Patrick Keller <pakeller@...> wrote:

The first nice day and I took my 52’ wagon for a drive. For awhile the clutch would chatter in reverse. I would just push the car back into the garage so not a big deal. During this drive the clutch would chatter in 3rd gear. Is this something that can be cleaned/adjusted or just replaced?

crosleyshortsport

Patrick, Usually a chatter is experienced in 1st gear or reverse. Typically 2nd and 3rd smooth out. You may need to adjust the throw-out bearing out or in a bit, also be sure your idle setting is not too high. Slowing the idle speed is best for easy clutching in and out. Be sure your accelerator spring is strong enough to fully disengage the accelerator. Tighten all bolts to engine and motor mounts and transmission mount. Let us know what you find. Jeffrey

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021, 10:00 AM Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
Several possibilities, the clutch being one of them but a lot of the time it is bad/weak motor and transmission mounts. Soft mounts let the engine rock more than it should changing the carburetor and clutch linkage to move and cause an oscillation effect with the clutch. There should be a few more ideas posted soon but that is a quick place to check that will cause other problems if left on repaired.

Jim...

On Apr 7, 2021, at 9:52 AM, Patrick Keller <pakeller@...> wrote:

The first nice day and I took my 52’ wagon for a drive. For awhile the clutch would chatter in reverse. I would just push the car back into the garage so not a big deal. During this drive the clutch would chatter in 3rd gear. Is this something that can be cleaned/adjusted or just replaced?

Ken Acheson

I had similar problem turned out great the bell at trans and drive shaft was stiff and needed to be lubed

Jim Liberty

Sounds like it could be a leaking rear crank seal. Oil on the clutch. I just replaced both front and rear seals. Same problem. Be sure though, the engine needs to come out, and the bottom end removed.   .....Jim.

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 6:52 AM Patrick Keller <pakeller@...> wrote:
The first nice day and I took my 52’ wagon for a drive. For awhile the clutch would chatter in reverse. I would just push the car back into the garage so not a big deal. During this drive the clutch would chatter in 3rd gear. Is this something that can be cleaned/adjusted or just replaced?

crosleyshortsport

Jim mentioned rear crank seal leaking enough to get the clutch disk oil soaked. I had one do that, I wanted to keep driving it until winter so I blocked the clutch pedal all the way down, put on some safety goggles and got underneath and sprayed brake cleaner up in the disk are and kept spinning the flywheel and spraying until it was clean of oil. I finished the summer driving with no issue. New rear seal in the off season fixed it right. Jeffrey

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021, 2:22 PM Jim Liberty <jimliberty356@...> wrote:
Sounds like it could be a leaking rear crank seal. Oil on the clutch. I just replaced both front and rear seals. Same problem. Be sure though, the engine needs to come out, and the bottom end removed.   .....Jim.

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 6:52 AM Patrick Keller <pakeller@...> wrote:
The first nice day and I took my 52’ wagon for a drive. For awhile the clutch would chatter in reverse. I would just push the car back into the garage so not a big deal. During this drive the clutch would chatter in 3rd gear. Is this something that can be cleaned/adjusted or just replaced?

Jim Liberty

Jeffery, great suggestion.    ..............Jim.

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 12:02 PM crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:
[...]

Only a quick look over today. But motor mounts are good.  No noticeable oil on clutch at first glance. I will do more investigation over the weekend. Thank you for the responses and help.

On Apr 7, 2021, at 2:05 PM, Jim Liberty <jimliberty356@...> wrote:

[...]

Patrick,
    How did you check your mounts? Mine was doing the same thing, and upon visual inspection the mounts looked ok. When I took them off to replace them, one literally fell apart in my hand. After replacing it solved the chatter problem.
-Tim King

On Apr 7, 2021, at 7:19 PM, Patrick Keller <pakeller@...> wrote:

[...]

The motor mounts are new and tight. I pulled the trans mount and it is good and tight. I did my best to clean the clutch plate. I also took the opportunity while underneath to check fluids. I jacked the back of the car up and discovered a wheel bearing had some play. I tightened the castle nut one notch and it seemed to take the play away. On the next nice weather weekend I will see if it has improved.