Clutch Alignment Tool

Just about to reinstall my Service Motors rebuilt engine into my 1952 Super SW. Any advise vis a vis a clutch alignment tool. Where would I source
one to fit a Crosley or can I reinstall the clutch without one....a work around?
Thanx SkipD

L.E. Hardee

Most of us just use an old input shaft from an old transmission.  But if you don't have one of those just lying around, they sell plastic ones at most automotive supply stores.

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 12:53 PM Tilden Drinkard <TILDENLD@...> wrote:
Just about to reinstall my Service Motors rebuilt engine into my 1952 Super SW. Any advise vis a vis a clutch alignment tool. Where would I source
one to fit a Crosley or can I reinstall the clutch without one....a work around?
Thanx SkipD

Jim Bollman

I didn’t know I needed to align the clutch for the first dozen or so times I put an engine in then some one told me I needed to align the clutch and the very next engine I put in wouldn’t go in. I also use an output shaft out of an old transmission.

On Sep 18, 2021, at 12:53 PM, Tilden Drinkard <TILDENLD@...> wrote:

Just about to reinstall my Service Motors rebuilt engine into my 1952 Super SW. Any advise vis a vis a clutch alignment tool. Where would I source
one to fit a Crosley or can I reinstall the clutch without one....a work around?
Thanx SkipD

Jim Liberty

Try calling Dale at Service Motors. I'm sure he can steer you in the right direction.    ......Jim.

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 9:53 AM Tilden Drinkard <TILDENLD@...> wrote:
Just about to reinstall my Service Motors rebuilt engine into my 1952 Super SW. Any advise vis a vis a clutch alignment tool. Where would I source
one to fit a Crosley or can I reinstall the clutch without one....a work around?
Thanx SkipD

Don Pitchford

Skip,
I have done several without an alignment tool. Each time I had the transmission out of the car so I used its shaft to get everything aligned, then carefully unbolted the transmission from the bell housing and slid it away without disturbing the clutch alignment. After putting the transmission in the car I was able to install the engine with very little trouble getting the transmission shaft to align with the clutch. I don't know the diameter of a Crosley transmission shaft, but if you can find a pipe that is close (with-in a 1/16th of an inch or so) it should serve you well as an alignment tool. Crosley engines and transmissions are so lightweight that wiggling things around a bit to get it aligned isn't much trouble.
Don Pitchford

On Saturday, September 18, 2021, 11:53:42 AM CDT, Tilden Drinkard <tildenld@...> wrote:

Just about to reinstall my Service Motors rebuilt engine into my 1952 Super SW. Any advise vis a vis a clutch alignment tool. Where would I source
one to fit a Crosley or can I reinstall the clutch without one....a work around?
Thanx SkipD

Jim Liberty

Thanks Skip.      .......jim.

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 1:02 PM Don Pitchford via groups.io <w9ebk=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thanx so much.

Tilden L Drinkard
P.O Box 807
Corrales, New Mexico

[...]

Ron D.

Here is a funny story about this subject. I was at the 2019 Nationals, and I see a guy walking with a very rusted up Crosley transmission. Curiosity got the best of me, so I asked him if he was going to use it as a boat anchor, since it was so rusted up. He told me he bought it to cut the shaft off, to use an an alignment tool. I then spent the next half hour scavenging through junk boxes at the flea market, until I found a broken off input shaft. I now too have the perfect alignment tool that I got for a buck.

Robert Kirk

In my youth with only a penny and nickle in my pocket, I found that an appropriate OD size socket on an extension worked well to align the plate and keep my 6 cents.

Jim Liberty

Simple is always the right way Robert. Great suggestion.     .......Jim.

On Sun, Sep 19, 2021 at 9:12 AM Robert Kirk via groups.io <kirkbrit=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
In my youth with only a penny and nickle in my pocket, I found that an appropriate OD size socket on an extension worked well to align the plate and keep my 6 cents.

Just called Dale & ordered a used trans' shaft as an alignment tool.