Topics

Clutch adjustments?

Mike S

The clutch on our "new to us" 48 seems to have a very soft return spring (compared to other cars) & the engagement is very close to the floor (not all the way down, but close).  Is this normal for a Crosley?  I haven't been underneath it yet, but plan to this weekend.  There's no slippage.
thanks,
Mike S

crosleyshortsport

Mike,  Sounds like it probably has a return spring that is too lightweight. You should have some fairly stiff resistance. On a Crosley,You should need to put the clutch pedal all the way to the floor to shift in AND out of gear. Also known as double clutching. You can adjust the throughout bearing closer to the clutch forks, should be a 1/4 inch or so of space between them. Too far back, you will grind gears, too close, you will be chugging.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019, 7:17 AM Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:
The clutch on our "new to us" 48 seems to have a very soft return spring (compared to other cars) & the engagement is very close to the floor (not all the way down, but close).  Is this normal for a Crosley?  I haven't been underneath it yet, but plan to this weekend.  There's no slippage.
thanks,
Mike S

Mike S

Ya, my first impression was they maybe used a spring which was too light.  I'm familiar with double clutching from spending a lot of time in early Studebaker farm trucks.  I did notice there is no dust shield covering the lower part of the flywheel.  Shouldn't there be one?

crosleyshortsport

The dust cover should be in place. Though much easier to adjust without. If you come to Wauseon, and IF you see a dust cover, grab it. They are a bit tough to find.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019, 8:02 AM Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:
Ya, my first impression was they maybe used a spring which was too light.  I'm familiar with double clutching from spending a lot of time in early Studebaker farm trucks.  I did notice there is no dust shield covering the lower part of the flywheel.  Shouldn't there be one?

Jim Bollman

If you add a lower flywheel shield be sure to keep the weep hole open at the bottom. Rear oil seals can leak enough to build up to the point that the flywheel flings oil around and onto the clutch. I don't use them myself.

On Jun 21, 2019, at 8:05 AM, crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:

The dust cover should be in place. Though much easier to adjust without. If you come to Wauseon, and IF you see a dust cover, grab it. They are a bit tough to find.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019, 8:02 AM Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:
Ya, my first impression was they maybe used a spring which was too light.  I'm familiar with double clutching from spending a lot of time in early Studebaker farm trucks.  I did notice there is no dust shield covering the lower part of the flywheel.  Shouldn't there be one?

Mike S

We live out in the country & our roads are falling apart (no sign of making America great around here....).  I think adding one might be a caution to keep rocks & such away from the flywheel if I can find one.

fred@...

I will bring some flywheel shields to Wauseon

Mike S

Fred, mark me down for one!

Plandersen

I would like one but will not be going. I live in Washington State. I’ll obviously pay for shipping plus handling. I have an extra radio if some one needs one. I doesn’t work but the tubes light up. Also I don’t have the knobs. Looks pretty good however. Motorola type. 509-760-5881. Kent Andersen

On Jun 23, 2019, at 18:18, Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:

Fred, mark me down for one!

Mike S

Jacked the car up so I could take a look underneath (gosh you've got to raise them a bunch to get under them....) Lots of slack in the clutch set up it appears.  Took 3 turns off the cable adjustment that seems to have helped.  I'll have to spend some more quality time under it to see if there are other opportunities.