Topics

Chrome Plating Parts?

Mike S

Anyone had any plating done lately?  Curious as to what re-plating a hood ornament for the '48 would cost a guy these days.  The former owner had painted it body color.  When I stripped it off, I find no rust or damage, but the chrome has freckles where it's been coming off.

Gary Cochrane

That piece should be stainless.  You can find these in very good shape and quite buffable for a lot less than the cost of plating.

On Friday, August 2, 2019, 10:29:34 AM PDT, Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:

Anyone had any plating done lately?  Curious as to what re-plating a hood ornament for the '48 would cost a guy these days.  The former owner had painted it body color.  When I stripped it off, I find no rust or damage, but the chrome has freckles where it's been coming off.

Mike S

I'll put a magnet to it when I get home, but I sure thought it was steel.....but maybe that's why there's no rust pits.....

Butch

The originals were a brass alloy, with a VERY thin back. Be very careful with the buffing job, it's quite easy to "buff" all of the way thru them.

Butch

On 8/2/2019 1:44 PM, Gary Cochrane via Groups.Io wrote:
That piece should be stainless.?? You can find these in very good shape and quite buffable for a lot less than the cost of plating.

On Friday, August 2, 2019, 10:29:34 AM PDT, Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:

Anyone had any plating done lately??? Curious as to what re-plating a hood ornament for the '48 would cost a guy these days.?? The former owner had painted it body color.?? When I stripped it off, I find no rust or damage, but the chrome has freckles where it's been coming off.
_._,_._,

Perhaps I am wrong because I am beginning to believe that nothing is absolute in Crosleyland, but I don't think your ornament is Crosley.  I was thinking, like Gary, that the original Crosley ornaments were stainless and not exactly the shape of the one in your picture.  A lot of Crosley owners put other brand car hood ornaments on their Crosley.  Additionally there were a slew of aftermarket ornaments for sale back then.  My mother's 52 Crosley which she bought in early 1953 as a dealer repo had a 51 Ford ornament.

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 1:44 PM Gary Cochrane via Groups.Io <g2cochrane=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
That piece should be stainless.  You can find these in very good shape and quite buffable for a lot less than the cost of plating.

On Friday, August 2, 2019, 10:29:34 AM PDT, Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:

Anyone had any plating done lately?  Curious as to what re-plating a hood ornament for the '48 would cost a guy these days.  The former owner had painted it body color.  When I stripped it off, I find no rust or damage, but the chrome has freckles where it's been coming off.

Spock Arnold

My guess would be in the area of 200

On Aug 2, 2019 1:29 PM, Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:
Anyone had any plating done lately?  Curious as to what re-plating a hood ornament for the '48 would cost a guy these days.  The former owner had painted it body color.  When I stripped it off, I find no rust or damage, but the chrome has freckles where it's been coming off.

nadno1

Mike,  I had mine done by a shop that does motorcycle items  in the Black Hills S.D.  by far the cheapest of all I contacted, they are potmetal most places wont do them because of that. I was very happy with the results.

Anyone had any plating done lately?  Curious as to what re-plating a hood ornament for the '48 would cost a guy these days.  The former owner had painted it body color.  When I stripped it off, I find no rust or damage, but the chrome has freckles where it's been coming off.

Mike S

From the "speckled" appearance of how the plating has come off of this part, my guess is the supplier didn't have their voltage tuned correctly for the mass of the load of parts being plated.  That can cause bubbles to form on parts which prevents the plating material (nickle, chrome, etc) from attaching to the metal substrate.   I've seen this type of defect before in my line of work.

Mike S

This is the part on the hood.  I looks a lot like the ones I saw at Wauseon & it fits the curve of the hood perfectly.

Spock Arnold

The hood ornament for a 48 is not pot metal.  You are thinking of a bird.