Topics

CHANGING BRAKES TO DUAL ADVISE REQUEST

jane altman

I would like to change my single brakes to dual.  Sweetpea and I climb the mountains A LOT!
Does anyone have replacement advise?
THANKS!
Jane
PS- I know I asked this last year, but can't find the responses... sorry!

Tim Hamblen

If you check out Speedway .Com they have several dual reservoir cylinders for the street rod guys. Well priced and I saw one that should almost be a bolt on for Crosley. Has the holes like a Crosley cylinder. Might have to drill a new hole but should work fine. Some even have remote fill capabilities which would be nice on a Crosley.

Jim Bollman

Speedway is a gas station chain. Can you post a link to the master cylinder you think will fit. Links can be just pasted in, eMail address is what we are having problems with getting munged up

Jim...

On Jun 3, 2017, at 5:12 PM, Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim@...> wrote:

If you check out Speedway .Com they have several dual reservoir cylinders for the street rod guys. Well priced and I saw one that should almost be a bolt on for Crosley. Has the holes like a Crosley cylinder. Might have to drill a new hole but should work fine. Some even have remote fill capabilities which would be nice on a Crosley.

Tim Hamblen

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/

Tim Hamblen

They literally have dozens.If you want to make a simple bracket most all would fit. I saw some down in the $30 area.A simple angle steel bracket with a hole for the rod to go thru and a couple holes for mounting and you are in business. Been think about a dual for the Guppy and the Youth car. I'd kinda like the boy to have some backup too.

Tim Hamblen

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Dual-Feed-Master-Cylinder,1985.html                      This one with a simple bracket would be a good one I think.

Jim Bollman

One of our members is having trouble with posting on the message board. but wanted to give his advise after many master cylinder conversions on different cars.

"I just can't seem to use this new Crosley site. I click on reply or anything else and it just brings me back to my main page.
Anyway what every body is missing is the mast cylinder HAS to be for manual four wheel DRUM brakes!
I've done these conversions on most of my cars and dozens of other people's. The disc drum master cylinder
in speedway is for disc drum and has NO residual valve on the disc end. ALSO you have to match the bore size!!!! If to small no pedal if too big too much pedal pressure and VERY hard to stop. For 1" bore master cylinder-Crosley is what 15/16" or 1'- I use 1968 Mustang 4 wheel drum brakes, Available at ant NAPA store and remember! you have to hook it up correctly too! Also you don't need a per portioning vale with drum drum either.
Just my $.02 of experience from being a Mechanic for 45 years.
Bill Hossfield"

Jim...

On Jun 3, 2017, at 6:40 PM, Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim@...> wrote:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Dual-Feed-Master-Cylinder,1985.html                      This one with a simple bracket would be a good one I think.
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#34432) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Mary Lynn Crosson-Stewart

I would like advice on changing out all 4 of the cable brakes on my 1949 Crosley sedan. I live in a rural area. I'm going to pay a mechanic to put it up on a lift and help me. I need to anticipate any possible problems and pre-order parts/ tools as the mechanic charges $85.00/hr. Can members please share tips/advice/past mistakes I can avoid. Thank you. Mary Lynn at mcrossonstewart@... or 603-662-0006. I live in NH at the Eastern Slope of the White Mountains. I don't know any Crosley members near me.

Jim Bollman

Are you changing out the mechanical for hydraulic or just new mechanical parts?

You posted under the dual master cylinder thread but if you are changing from mechanical you have a lot of other things to consider. I wrote up a short article with pictures that will be in the Summer Crosley Quarterly that answer most of the questions of going from mechanical to hydraulics but does not cover dual master cylinder questions.

Jim...

On Jun 4, 2017, at 7:39 AM, Mary Lynn Crosson-Stewart via Groups.Io <mcrossonstewart@...> wrote:

I would like advice on changing out all 4 of the cable brakes on my 1949 Crosley sedan. I live in a rural area. I'm going to pay a mechanic to put it up on a lift and help me. I need to anticipate any possible problems and pre-order parts/ tools as the mechanic charges $85.00/hr. Can members please share tips/advice/past mistakes I can avoid. Thank you. Mary Lynn at mcrossonstewart@... or 603-662-0006. I live in NH at the Eastern Slope of the White Mountains. I don't know any Crosley members near me.

jane altman

Thank you for the very direct help!  It will be used!
Jane

jane altman

Again, thank you the the advise.  My brake guy likes the mustang idea and is asking more questions:
1. Is it a just a hydraulic upgrade or do you do a total brake upgrade?
Shoes, drums, wheel bearings?
Thanks,
Jake

Jim Bollman