Topics

CC weight distribution

parkhunter@...

Anyone know the weight distribution on a CC Wagon? Is it 60% on the front wheels, or ??

I’m thinking about the best way to load my car on a small trailer without putting too much weight on the hitch. I have some forward/back range to play with as I balance it.

Thanks!

Park

L.E. Hardee

I would put the front of the car forward for sure.  Then as I loaded the car on the trailer, you should be able to sense the approximate balance point due to the tilt of the trailer.  I would suggest you go as far forward as you can to put as much tongue weight as possible without overloading your tow vehicle.  You don't want your truck or car to drag bottom in the rear but other than that, tongue weight keeps the trailer from getting "squirrelly".

One of the scariest events I have had on the road was towing a Crosley back to NC from Georgia.  I had stuffed a bunch of parts in the back of the station wagon that I didn't realize messed up my usual load distribution.  The 1969 El Camino was also full of Crosley parts so it was sagging down and I didn't realize that the trailer was tail heavy.  On the interstate a semi passed me and set up a sway.  That Crosley and the trailer pulled me all over both lanes for about a mile before I could get stopped.  The trailer was up on one wheel and and then the other as it whipped me back and forth.  It is a real wonder that I didn't flip both the El Camino and the Crosley trailer that day.

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 7:37 AM <parkhunter@...> wrote:
Anyone know the weight distribution on a CC Wagon? Is it 60% on the front wheels, or ??

I’m thinking about the best way to load my car on a small trailer without putting too much weight on the hitch. I have some forward/back range to play with as I balance it.

Thanks!

Park

Mike S

I have an 18 ft open car hauler trailer (2ft is dovetail) and I put a paint mark on the floor to know where to stop when hauling my Kubelwagen.  I used the same mark when I brought the Crosley wagon home from Chicago & it worked pretty good.  The mark is 6 foot, 3 inches back from the center of the ball hitch.  This puts the rear axle of the Crosley almost in between the 2 axles of the trailer.
Mike S

Plandersen

My nephew makes Kubelwagens in New Mexico.  Kent

Kent Andersen, YVIAA District Director
PO Box 364
Royal City, WA  99357

Phone 509-346-1500
Fax 509-346-1540
Cell 509-760-5881
Email pkandersen@...

On Jul 2, 2019, at 7:58 PM, Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:

I have an 18 ft open car hauler trailer (2ft is dovetail) and I put a paint mark on the floor to know where to stop when hauling my Kubelwagen.  I used the same mark when I brought the Crosley wagon home from Chicago & it worked pretty good.  The mark is 6 foot, 3 inches back from the center of the ball hitch.  This puts the rear axle of the Crosley almost in between the 2 axles of the trailer.
Mike S

Mike S

Interesting to know.  My Kubelwagen was built by them in 2007 before the management change.  Is your nephew the current guy or the former guy?  I bought mine used from another ww2 reenactor and I spent a year making making modifications to make it more authentic (ex. the kooble kars used trailer fenders instead of deep formed ones).

In my earlier post, I forgot to mention that that mark on the trailer floor is where I put the center of the front tire.
Mike S

Plandersen

He is the current guy but is fighting cancer.  He can’t work the week after chemo and then get tired real quick when he does work.  Hopefully in a few months he will be back.  The other guy left things in quite a mess, took money from people and didn’t deliver.  My nephew has been working hard to build back a good reputation.  He has done all the work for many years and I am sure he build yours.  Kent

On Jul 3, 2019, at 3:00 PM, Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:

Interesting to know.  My Kubelwagen was built by them in 2007 before the management change.  Is your nephew the current guy or the former guy?  I bought mine used from another ww2 reenactor and I spent a year making making modifications to make it more authentic (ex. the kooble kars used trailer fenders instead of deep formed ones).

In my earlier post, I forgot to mention that that mark on the trailer floor is where I put the center of the front tire.
Mike S

Mike S

Glad to hear he is the good one (I've heard good things about his work) and not the bad guy (heard lots & lots of bad things about him....he also ripped off the previous owner of mine on some parts), but sad to hear he is having health issues.  I wish him well.