Topics

CC Crosley Hood Latch

Dennis Terdy

I recently purchased a 1947 CC coupe. The hood safety latch is in place and functions. I also have most of the components minus a few small springs underneath. However, The primary latch system is missing something. I have a CD wagon and the hood latch is NOT the same. Please help with a photo or clear sketch of some kind. Thanks

Dennis
Glen Ellyn, IL

Steve <nutsbolts_9502@...>

Jim...

Sent from my I-thing

On Feb 11, 2017, at 11:40 AM, Dennis Terdy <dennis.terdy@...> wrote:

I recently purchased a 1947 CC coupe. The hood safety latch is in place and functions. I also have most of the components minus a few small springs underneath. However, The primary latch system is missing something. I have a CD wagon and the hood latch is NOT the same. Please help with a photo or clear sketch of some kind. Thanks

Dennis
Glen Ellyn, IL

Bruce Redford <bdredford@...>

If you need a cable I have one I can sell . bdredford@...

On Saturday, February 11, 2017 1:23 PM, Steve via Groups.Io <nutsbolts_9502@...> wrote:

Jim...

Sent from my I-thing

Dennis
Glen Ellyn, IL

Roy McLaurin

I Have always  wondered why  Crosley  saw the need for  a interior hood latch.    

To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2017 12:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] CC Crosley Hood Latch

On Saturday, February 11, 2017 1:23 PM, Steve via Groups.Io <nutsbolts_9502@...> wrote:

Jim...

Sent from my I-thing

Dennis
Glen Ellyn, IL

L.E. Hardee

Probably to keep some kid from popping the hood, reaching in and stealing your engine.  It was so much secure with the hood latched on the inside behind those sliding glass window locks.

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Roy McLaurin via Groups.Io <oroyme@...> wrote:

From: Bruce Redford via Groups.Io <bdredford=yahoo.com@groups.io>

On Saturday, February 11, 2017 1:23 PM, Steve via Groups.Io <nutsbolts_9502=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Jim...

Sent from my I-thing

Dennis
Glen Ellyn, IL

Yeah, with the money they could have saved illuminating that, they could have put TWO tail lights on the car!
Hahaha.

Sent from my I-thing

On Feb 11, 2017, at 6:50 PM, Roy McLaurin via Groups.Io <oroyme@...> wrote:

Jim...

Sent from my I-thing

Dennis
Glen Ellyn, IL

Joseph Urban

It’s called “Security Theater”.  The illusion of security. 

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io [mailto:Crosley-Gang@groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2017 8:07 PM

Yeah, with the money they could have saved illuminating that, they could have put TWO tail lights on the car!

Hahaha.

Sent from my I-thing

Jim...

Sent from my I-thing

Dennis

Glen Ellyn, IL

"Eliminate"
Not illuminate.
Why would I light up a hood release.

Sent from my I-thing

On Feb 11, 2017, at 7:14 PM, Joseph Urban <josephlurban@...> wrote:

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io [mailto:Crosley-Gang@groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve via Groups.Io

Hahaha.

Sent from my I-thing

Jim...

Sent from my I-thing

Dennis

Glen Ellyn, IL

L.E. Hardee

That illuminated hood latch was probably one of the luxury features that Powel Crosley appreciated on his Duesenburg and had his engineers install on the Crosleys.

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 9:00 PM, Steve via Groups.Io <nutsbolts_9502@...> wrote:
"Eliminate"
Not illuminate.
Why would I light up a hood release.

Sent from my I-thing

On Feb 11, 2017, at 7:14 PM, Joseph Urban <josephlurban@...> wrote:

Hahaha.

Sent from my I-thing

On Saturday, February 11, 2017 1:23 PM, Steve via Groups.Io <nutsbolts_9502=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Jim...

Sent from my I-thing

Dennis

Glen Ellyn, IL

ROBERT L GREGG

An interior hood latch was a feature of many automobiles of the era, and this made the engine bay relatively secure.  I have a 1947 and 1948 Chevrolet, both of which have interior hood latches.  These latches provided better security for the engine bay, making it necessary to break into the car to release the hood latch and access the engine bay.  Some of the early cars (both my 1938 Chev and 1948 Chev) had "armored" wires from the ignition switch to the ignition coil, in an attempt to thwart those ruffians who would hot wire a car by accessing the engine bay.  Most modern automobiles have a secure engine bay like the Crosley and many others. 

On Saturday, February 11, 2017 7:50 PM, Roy McLaurin via Groups.Io <oroyme@...> wrote:

Jim...

Sent from my I-thing

Dennis
Glen Ellyn, IL

I find it amazing how someone could find something positive to say about an inside hood release...... on a Crosley.
I have owned three Crosleys,
Right off hand I can't think of anything positive about anything. And they are ugly!
They are a piece of crap!
Well maybe one thing, the OHV engine. The thing is absolutely bullet proof!
I love these little cars.
Go to about any car show and yours is the only Crosley.
And they certainly draw a crowd and plenty of smiles.

Sent from my I-thing

On Feb 11, 2017, at 10:36 PM, ROBERT L GREGG <capngrog@...> wrote:

An interior hood latch was a feature of many automobiles of the era, and this made the engine bay relatively secure.  I have a 1947 and 1948 Chevrolet, both of which have interior hood latches.  These latches provided better security for the engine bay, making it necessary to break into the car to release the hood latch and access the engine bay.  Some of the early cars (both my 1938 Chev and 1948 Chev) had "armored" wires from the ignition switch to the ignition coil, in an attempt to thwart those ruffians who would hot wire a car by accessing the engine bay.  Most modern automobiles have a secure engine bay like the Crosley and many others. 

On Saturday, February 11, 2017 7:50 PM, Roy McLaurin via Groups.Io <oroyme@...> wrote:

Jim...

Sent from my I-thing

Dennis
Glen Ellyn, IL

Terrance Robinson

It's true--you have to smile when you see one-   it's infectious -especially those with grill propellers--Terry

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 7:32 PM, Steve via Groups.Io <nutsbolts_9502@...> wrote:
I find it amazing how someone could find something positive to say about an inside hood release...... on a Crosley.
I have owned three Crosleys,
Right off hand I can't think of anything positive about anything. And they are ugly!
They are a piece of crap!
Well maybe one thing, the OHV engine. The thing is absolutely bullet proof!
I love these little cars.
Go to about any car show and yours is the only Crosley.
And they certainly draw a crowd and plenty of smiles.

Sent from my I-thing

On Feb 11, 2017, at 10:36 PM, ROBERT L GREGG <capngrog@...> wrote:

Jim...

Sent from my I-thing

Dennis
Glen Ellyn, IL

--
Hurt not the Earth neither the Sea. Nor the Trees.                         Revelation 7:3  
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."   
                                                                            President Dwight D. Eisenhower 
"The only thing to buy on credit is your casket."                       James A Michener
Debt is "anything that you pay today for yesterday's living"              Ruth Hayden
A model of Christian Charity: "We are all responsible (institutions and individuals)    to each other and to serve the common good"              Gov. John Winthrop 1630

seb fontana

My CC looks nothing like the pic..Maybe pic is of CD?

Jim Bollman

Still looking for help for my 1947 CC coupe hood latch. Secondary/safety works. I have all but one small spring found on top/inside of front grill. Something is missing related to the primary hood lock. Any pictures? (It is not the same as the CD found in Crosley archives.) 

Any help, again pictures???, would be great!

Dennis

I'm reposting this for Dennis in the right thread, he replied to the new Crosley of the Month posting ad I was afraid it would get lost. Someone out there must have a CC that they can take a couple of pictures of the hood latch assembly and post.

OLDMACK50@...

Does  anyone have a picture of a cc hood latch not sure how the big spring hooks up

Jim S

Tom McDowell <bugger5913@...>

I have a nose piece that was cut out of a car that I can take a pic of tomorrow and send it. in the mean time, I wanted to say that there is no "secondary" per say, it is all do in the hood itself (where the latch hook engages) by way of a two step catch. When the hood is locked and you pull the release handle, the hood should "pop" up as the coil spring, button assembly located up in (round hole) the hood. Then when you open the hood it is now being held by the secondary latch, you need to pull the hook towards you with your finger while lifting the hood.

Springs; There are three springs that are used, (1) the coil spring I mentioned earlier is a "pusher" type. (2) A "pull" spring that is attached to a hole in the hook that hooks to the plate in the radiator support in the center. (3) A "U" shaped flat spring with a hook clip that mounts in front of the hook in the plate of the radiator support, this spring was added later as an upgrade to supplement the pull spring (2) A band is used to hold the flat spring to the hook.

In setting up the release cable, I would adjust the release lever that the cable attaches to with plenty of play as to not prematurely release the hood, i.e. you should be able to pull the release handle under the dash about 1/4 in.

Hope this helps until the pic arrives...
Tom

On Monday, March 6, 2017 7:40 PM, "OLDMACK50@..." <OLDMACK50@...> wrote:

Does  anyone have a picture of a cc hood latch not sure how the big spring hooks up
Jim S

Previous Topic Next Topic