Topics

CC Crosley Hood Latch

Dennis Terdy

I recently purchased a 1947 CC coupe. The hood safety latch is in place and functions. I also have most of the components minus a few small springs underneath. However, The primary latch system is missing something. I have a CD wagon and the hood latch is NOT the same. Please help with a photo or clear sketch of some kind. Thanks

Dennis
Glen Ellyn, IL

Steve <nutsbolts_9502@...>

Jim...

Sent from my I-thing

Bruce Redford <bdredford@...>

If you need a cable I have one I can sell . bdredford@...

On Saturday, February 11, 2017 1:23 PM, Steve via Groups.Io <nutsbolts_9502@...> wrote:

Jim...

Sent from my I-thing

On Feb 11, 2017, at 11:40 AM, Dennis Terdy <dennis.terdy@...> wrote:

I recently purchased a 1947 CC coupe. The hood safety latch is in place and functions. I also have most of the components minus a few small springs underneath. However, The primary latch system is missing something. I have a CD wagon and the hood latch is NOT the same. Please help with a photo or clear sketch of some kind. Thanks

Dennis
Glen Ellyn, IL

Roy McLaurin

I Have always  wondered why  Crosley  saw the need for  a interior hood latch.

I recently purchased a 1947 CC coupe. The hood safety latch is in place and functions. I also have most of the components minus a few small springs underneath. However, The primary latch system is missing something. I have a CD wagon and the hood latch is NOT the same. Please help with a photo or clear sketch of some kind. Thanks

Dennis
Glen Ellyn, IL

L.E. Hardee

Probably to keep some kid from popping the hood, reaching in and stealing your engine.  It was so much secure with the hood latched on the inside behind those sliding glass window locks.

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Roy McLaurin via Groups.Io <oroyme@...> wrote:
I Have always  wondered why  Crosley  saw the need for  a interior hood latch.

I recently purchased a 1947 CC coupe. The hood safety latch is in place and functions. I also have most of the components minus a few small springs underneath. However, The primary latch system is missing something. I have a CD wagon and the hood latch is NOT the same. Please help with a photo or clear sketch of some kind. Thanks

Dennis
Glen Ellyn, IL

Steve <nutsbolts_9502@...>

Yeah, with the money they could have saved illuminating that, they could have put TWO tail lights on the car!
Hahaha.

Sent from my I-thing

On Feb 11, 2017, at 6:50 PM, Roy McLaurin via Groups.Io <oroyme@...> wrote:

I Have always  wondered why  Crosley  saw the need for  a interior hood latch.

I recently purchased a 1947 CC coupe. The hood safety latch is in place and functions. I also have most of the components minus a few small springs underneath. However, The primary latch system is missing something. I have a CD wagon and the hood latch is NOT the same. Please help with a photo or clear sketch of some kind. Thanks

Dennis
Glen Ellyn, IL

Joseph Urban

It’s called “Security Theater”.  The illusion of security.

I recently purchased a 1947 CC coupe. The hood safety latch is in place and functions. I also have most of the components minus a few small springs underneath. However, The primary latch system is missing something. I have a CD wagon and the hood latch is NOT the same. Please help with a photo or clear sketch of some kind. Thanks

Dennis

Glen Ellyn, IL

Steve <nutsbolts_9502@...>

"Eliminate"
Not illuminate.
Why would I light up a hood release.

Sent from my I-thing

On Feb 11, 2017, at 7:14 PM, Joseph Urban <josephlurban@...> wrote:

It’s called “Security Theater”.  The illusion of security.

I recently purchased a 1947 CC coupe. The hood safety latch is in place and functions. I also have most of the components minus a few small springs underneath. However, The primary latch system is missing something. I have a CD wagon and the hood latch is NOT the same. Please help with a photo or clear sketch of some kind. Thanks

Dennis

Glen Ellyn, IL

L.E. Hardee

That illuminated hood latch was probably one of the luxury features that Powel Crosley appreciated on his Duesenburg and had his engineers install on the Crosleys.

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 9:00 PM, Steve via Groups.Io <nutsbolts_9502@...> wrote:
"Eliminate"
Not illuminate.
Why would I light up a hood release.

Sent from my I-thing

On Feb 11, 2017, at 7:14 PM, Joseph Urban <josephlurban@...> wrote:

It’s called “Security Theater”.  The illusion of security.

I recently purchased a 1947 CC coupe. The hood safety latch is in place and functions. I also have most of the components minus a few small springs underneath. However, The primary latch system is missing something. I have a CD wagon and the hood latch is NOT the same. Please help with a photo or clear sketch of some kind. Thanks

Dennis

Glen Ellyn, IL

ROBERT L GREGG

An interior hood latch was a feature of many automobiles of the era, and this made the engine bay relatively secure.  I have a 1947 and 1948 Chevrolet, both of which have interior hood latches.  These latches provided better security for the engine bay, making it necessary to break into the car to release the hood latch and access the engine bay.  Some of the early cars (both my 1938 Chev and 1948 Chev) had "armored" wires from the ignition switch to the ignition coil, in an attempt to thwart those ruffians who would hot wire a car by accessing the engine bay.  Most modern automobiles have a secure engine bay like the Crosley and many others.