Topics

CC Clutch

Michael Braun

I'm working on a 48 Pick Up.  .Although the engine was a good runner, I replaced it with a fresh rebuild.  I also replaced the working clutch & Pressure plate with new ones but left in place the old throw out bearing.  Now the clutch will not disengage and no amount of adjustment will make it work. I'm getting normal pedal travel and I can see the throw out bearing engaging the pressure plate.  I'm wondering if I put the clutch disc in backwards?  Is that possible? Any other thoughts as to what could be wrong?
Mike Braun

crosleyshortsport

I would think that if you put the clutch plate in backwards, there would be a screetching sound. When the dust cover is removed, you can see the plate and the distance between the fingers and the through-out bearing. It sounds like the yoke needs to come back a bit more. I also rebuilt my 48, and finished it recently. I was positive I had it set up perfectly when I started it the first time. I went to put it in first gear and it was obvious something was wrong. I ended up adjusting the yoke back another 1/4 inch, and presto, it was just right. Do you have the adjustable fingers ? Are they all adjusted evenly ?

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019, 7:25 PM Michael Braun <mwbraun@... wrote:
I'm working on a 48 Pick Up.  .Although the engine was a good runner, I replaced it with a fresh rebuild.  I also replaced the working clutch & Pressure plate with new ones but left in place the old throw out bearing.  Now the clutch will not disengage and no amount of adjustment will make it work. I'm getting normal pedal travel and I can see the throw out bearing engaging the pressure plate.  I'm wondering if I put the clutch disc in backwards?  Is that possible? Any other thoughts as to what could be wrong?
Mike Braun

Butch

Mike,

It's virtually impossible to install the disc backwards, the hub will hit the flywheel.

Most likely, the new disc lining, is slightly thicker tan it should be. Very common occurrence.

Simple fix; put a flat washer, under the pressure plated mounting feet at each bolt (6 total). Then readjust your cable/linkage.

You want to have about 3/4 to 1 inch of free-play. When the clutch wears and you run out of adjustment, remove the washers and start over.

Unless there is another malfunction in your setup, this should do it. I've never seen or heard of a situation, that required more than one washer thickness to resolve the problem.

Butch

On 2/9/2019 7:25 PM, Michael Braun wrote:
I'm working on a 48 Pick Up.  .Although the engine was a good runner, I replaced it with a fresh rebuild.  I also replaced the working clutch & Pressure plate with new ones but left in place the old throw out bearing.  Now the clutch will not disengage and no amount of adjustment will make it work. I'm getting normal pedal travel and I can see the throw out bearing engaging the pressure plate.  I'm wondering if I put the clutch disc in backwards?  Is that possible? Any other thoughts as to what could be wrong?
Mike Braun

Steve Perry

Good idea.....

On Feb 10, 2019, at 10:58 AM, Butch via Groups.Io <butch46988@...> wrote:

[...]

Tim Hamblen

On my current build I had a similar issue. In my case I found out the new throwout bearing was much thicker than an OEM one and would not let the pressure plate fingers move back far enough. I had adjustable fingers on the pressure plate and had to turn them all the way in to get it to work. Now this was a 6&1/2 inch clutch. Butch's idea of the washers might be the fix but I would add to go to a good hardware store and get machinists washers. Much more uniform in thickness than generic washers.

Michael Braun

The washers did the fix.

Actually after I did my post I found a post Butch did from three years ago with the same advice.  So I learned how to fix the problem and search old posts, a bonus.

Thanks

Mike