Topics

car won't run over 35 mph

paul

Folks,

been out in the garage piddling, thinking.  early in the thread someone mentioned good tune up.  please shoot me down as overthinking but,  is there a chance the valves have been adjusted cold?  would that create enough expansion of the shim pack etc when hot to hold the valves open just a bit?  tight enough to bleed off a bit of compression before the plug fires?  grasping at straws trying to help,  Paul Rinehart

Butch

Paul,

Not to shoot you down, but Crosley valves are supposed to be adjusted COLD.

The first thing to check, is the ignition timing, while you're doing that, also check the distributor advance mechanism. Not super rare to find them stuck.

On 6/12/2018 4:41 PM, paul wrote:

Folks,

been out in the garage piddling, thinking.  early in the thread someone mentioned good tune up.  please shoot me down as overthinking but,  is there a chance the valves have been adjusted cold?  would that create enough expansion of the shim pack etc when hot to hold the valves open just a bit?  tight enough to bleed off a bit of compression before the plug fires?  grasping at straws trying to help,  Paul Rinehart

paul

Butch,
you did exactly as I wanted.  I wasn't sure, stuck my foot out and got corrected. this is how I learn.  I'd pull the book out b4 I started but from slant 6 MoPar experience when I was younger I was just taking a stab trying to help. thinking while I piddled in the garage.  happy you were watching.  Paul

On 6/12/2018 4:41 PM, paul wrote:

Folks,

been out in the garage piddling, thinking.  early in the thread someone mentioned good tune up.  please shoot me down as overthinking but,  is there a chance the valves have been adjusted cold?  would that create enough expansion of the shim pack etc when hot to hold the valves open just a bit?  tight enough to bleed off a bit of compression before the plug fires? grasping at straws trying to help,  Paul Rinehart

Milford Brown

Butch and Paul,

I haven't been a Crosley owner for ages, but still remember being startled to find the distributor advance mechanism immovable in a station wagon only about 6 years old; who knows what might have happened in there after so many more years?

Milford

you did exactly as I wanted.  I wasn't sure, stuck my foot out and got
corrected. this is how I learn.  I'd pull the book out b4 I started but
from slant 6 MoPar experience when I was younger I was just taking a
stab trying to help. thinking while I piddled in the garage.  happy you
were watching.  Paul

On 6/12/2018 6:17 PM, Butch via Groups.Io wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Not to shoot you down, but Crosley valves are supposed to be adjusted
> COLD.
>
> The first thing to check, is the ignition timing, while you're doing
> that, also check the distributor advance mechanism. Not super rare to
> find them stuck.
>
> Butch
>
> Butch
>
> On 6/12/2018 4:41 PM, paul wrote:
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>> been out in the garage piddling, thinking.  early in the thread
>> someone mentioned good tune up.  please shoot me down as overthinking
>> but,  is there a chance the valves have been adjusted cold?  would
>> that create enough expansion of the shim pack etc when hot to hold
>> the valves open just a bit?  tight enough to bleed off a bit of
>> compression before the plug fires? grasping at straws trying to
>> help,  Paul Rinehart

Tim Hamblen

With someone holding the gas pedal down, look into the carb throat. is the butterfly opening all the way ? Just went thru this on the Guppy. You won't notice it lifting the linkage under the hood . Lots of things can go wrong between the foot and the carb. Also did you put a new condenser on the distributor. ? The new condser mounts are thinner than OEM and the screw will jam the advance.

Terrance Robinson

appreciate all your pointers to us "in trouble"--Terry

--
Hurt not the Earth neither the Sea. Nor the Trees.                         Revelation 7:3
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."