Topics

Car jack

Ron D.

My 49 CD came with a scissor jack, which I doubt was the factory jack. Any one have some up close pics of a factory jack? I go to a lot of flea markets, full of rusty old car parts, and would like to find this treasure, if I knew what I was looking for.

Jim Bollman

Here is a standard Crosley jack, it also came with a round base, not sure when round versus rectangular bases fall  in production.

Jim...

On Sep 15, 2019, at 9:03 AM, Ron D. <rdole417@...> wrote:

My 49 CD came with a scissor jack, which I doubt was the factory jack. Any one have some up close pics of a factory jack? I go to a lot of flea markets, full of rusty old car parts, and would like to find this treasure, if I knew what I was looking for.

Richard Helm

My 49 Hot Shot came with a round base. The screw jack looks the same.

Rich

Mike S

Here's the jack I got from Fred Sydral for my '48.  Not sure what year it would have originally came from.  Notice how it is not "threaded" as far on the rod as in Jim's photo above.
Mike Sal

Kenn Cahill

Mike, your jack is what I am used to seeing. If you use the handle as a unit of measure, it looks like Jim’s had part of the unthreaded part cut off, or it was just never as long to begin with.

Paula W

This is the jack that is in our Dad's car, a 1947 sedan.  It is the same color as the car and requires a bit of room to work it. I don't know if it came with the car, but it is interesting to me it is the same color.

fred@...

Mike's is a factory original, including the cardboard cover (case) from about 49 or 50. I have some round bases that I believe were from earlier cars.

Richard Williams

I use a scissor jack as the bumper jack is less safe. It can slide over. Rich

On Sunday, September 15, 2019, 05:52:07 PM PDT, <fred@...> wrote:

Mike's is a factory original, including the cardboard cover (case) from about 49 or 50. I have some round bases that I believe were from earlier cars.

Mike S

The mast on mine is 26 inches long and the un-threaded part is 3 1/2" long.
Mike S

Jim Bollman

Never noticed the different length of the non threaded part. Mine has a new home now so I can't measure it.

I don't have show cars to display a jack and would never jack a Crosley up with an original jack. I don't even carry a jack in the FOR which will probably bite me now that I admit it. When my wagon was on the road I carried a scissor jack. For just a good jack to use that doesn't take up m much room I would probably consider a Ford pickup truck jack, not sure what they use now but they used the same style from the late 40s to at least 2000, I have several around for general use.

On Sep 15, 2019, at 7:55 PM, Kenn Cahill <drkenncahill@...> wrote:

Mike, your jack is what I am used to seeing. If you use the handle as a unit of measure, it looks like Jim’s had part of the unthreaded part cut off, or it was just never as long to begin with.

Mike S

Also note that Jim's base plate has 4 gussets to add strength that mine does not have.  Wonder if that means his is a later model, or if there was more than one supplier?
Mike S

Paula W

Agreed. I don't know what my dad would have done, but we don't use the scissor jack on the bumper.

Kenn Cahill

I used the original jack on my 1948 wagon many times. I would hesitate to use it on a car with good pebble shields, as they can sometimes be bent by using this factory bumper jack. The car can definitely lean. I forget all of the tricks I used, but I figured out which way I needed to lean the jack to make sure that the car did not tip over when I got it lifted high enough to remove the wheel. I frequently had to put the jack on something higher than only its own base to get the car high enough to remove the wheel. It seems to me I put the base on a piece of wood at least 2 inches thick.
Now I use the original jack for show and use a hydraulic jack, scissors jack or a floor jack to do the work.

Kenn Cahill

There was also another style of “lip” to hook under the bumper. Some of the jacks had a cast-iron lip instead of the folded metal with rivets.
My 1941 had the rectangular base, the bumper lip made of folded metal, and a black plastic ball on the end of the jack handle. I assume it was original, but I cannot say for sure.

L.E. Hardee

The Crosley screw jack is not practical or in any way safe to use.  The bumper arms aren't strong enough to support the weight and they flex into the gravel shields.  More likely than not, the minute you get the tire off the ground so you can change it, the tire on the other side will start to slide and the car will go sideways off the jack.  You better hope you left a lug bolt on or you will have a time.  Use another kind of jack to change your tires and save the original jack for show only!!!!!

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 9:44 PM Kenn Cahill <drkenncahill@...> wrote:
There was also another style of “lip” to hook under the bumper. Some of the jacks had a cast-iron lip instead of the folded metal with rivets.
My 1941 had the rectangular base, the bumper lip made of folded metal, and a black plastic ball on the end of the jack handle. I assume it was original, but I cannot say for sure.

Ron D.

Thanks for all the responses and pics. As I said, mine came with a scissor jack, so I would use that if needed on the side of the road. A floor jack in the garage is what will be used at home. I just didn't know what the factory one looked like, as sooner or later, I hope to find one for a couple of bucks at a flea market, from someone cleaning out their dads old "junk".

Jim Bollman

Good luck finding one. Never found one that the owner didn't know what it was.

Would like to see more pictures of the different variations, might make a good Crosley Garage article.

I'm sure that Crosley never left the factory with a scissor jack, would have cost at least a dollar more than the screw jack and Powel wouldn't have allowed that :-)

Jim...

On Sep 15, 2019, at 10:30 PM, Ron D. <rdole417@...> wrote:

Thanks for all the responses and pics. As I said, mine came with a scissor jack, so I would use that if needed on the side of the road. A floor jack in the garage is what will be used at home. I just didn't know what the factory one looked like, as sooner or later, I hope to find one for a couple of bucks at a flea market, from someone cleaning out their dads old "junk".

Paula W

Jim,
My grandfather was a mechanic and chauffeur. I can well believe he didn't want my dad using those screw jacks, hence the scissor jack in Dad's car. Only a theory. My dad was no mechanic. How it turns out the color of the car remains a mystery.
Paula

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 7:51 PM, Jim Bollman
<Jim@...> wrote:
Good luck finding one. Never found one that the owner didn't know what it was.

Would like to see more pictures of the different variations, might make a good Crosley Garage article.

I'm sure that Crosley never left the factory with a scissor jack, would have cost at least a dollar more than the screw jack and Powel wouldn't have allowed that :-)

Jim...

On Sep 15, 2019, at 10:30 PM, Ron D. <rdole417@...> wrote:

Thanks for all the responses and pics. As I said, mine came with a scissor jack, so I would use that if needed on the side of the road. A floor jack in the garage is what will be used at home. I just didn't know what the factory one looked like, as sooner or later, I hope to find one for a couple of bucks at a flea market, from someone cleaning out their dads old "junk".

Jerry and Kathy

Edited

After reading this thread I went out and looked, I knew I had 2 jacks but I never looked at them closely.  Attached are a couple of pictures I took and you can see the differences. Threaded length is a little different, Jack handles are different diameters, one is riveted and one is cast.  The  thread pitch and diameter are a little different between the two also.
I only have the one square base.

Steve

My ’50 wagon had the round base for the screw jack.  My ’52 wagon has the rectangular base like Jim B.’s.

-Steve M.