Topics

Calling all water pump afficianados

crosleyshortsport

Paula,   There are two types of pumps. Within the club, they are known as 4 bolt or 6 bolt pumps. The 4 bolt is the one with the ability to tighten a brass nut against the packing. The 6 bolt does not have the brass nut to tighten and is less desirable. I am thinking either your Dad or someone else used a similar pump and mated it to the correct bracket. I can send a photo of both types of pumps when I return home.
    Jeffrey

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019, 11:48 AM Paula W <paula_whitney@...> wrote:
Hi Jeffrey,

Do you have a diagram or photo of a correct Crosley 3-bolt water pump? I'm surprised at the news that this is not Crosley. Dad bought the car originally with a tin block engine. It cracked with only a few miles and they replaced it with the cast iron. I add this in case that helps in any way to cipher out anything about this pump. The only other work Dad had done on the car was some minor cosmetics after a fender bender. Of course I'm going by what he told me and his pencil notes he kept inside the manual.

The pump and small generator are both green to match the car.

Any chance they used more than one type of pump?

Paula

Jim Bollman

As I said in an earlier message, it is a Crosley pump, intended for small generator on early CC models.

There are 3 styles of pump.

Jim...

On Apr 15, 2019, at 11:58 AM, crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:

[...]

I learned something new today. I did not know there was an early pump that was a 3 bolt. Here is a photo of two pump styles, and the only ones I have ever seen.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019, 12:07 PM Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
[...]

Andy Drake

I've rebuilt about 6-8 of the various pump styles. All styles are relatively plentiful and to be honest, pretty much every one leaks at least a little bit. As Jeff and Seb have both mentioned,  the four bolt style does pretty decent between the nut, packing itself, and the sticky waterproof grease. I crank mine down every so often.

I have seen some amazingly worn impeller shafts -- wobbly and deeply grooved. Even with packing, it seems like it would be practically impossible to keep water in the system and I'm wondering if premature wear wasn't a cause of overheating for at least a small number of tinblocks.

Gary

I have both pumps. They can be had.....!!

Gary McFarlane

On Apr 15, 2019, at 10:58 AM, crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard Williams

I rebuilt a water pump several years age and it has worked very well. I used a kit from Butch and followed his instructions. It does not leak at all. In fact it is so good that I put antifreeze in it and it still holds it today. It has been driven several times and the coolant is still good. I added an overflow bottle to it which works well also. Rich

Sent from Mail for Windows 10