Topics

Brakes

David Stubenvoll

All of a sudden my CD wagon decided to only roll frontwards, the mechanical brakes lock up when I try to push it backwards. I read the brake section in the manual but have not tried to adjust anything yet. Is this unusual or a common problem? Thoughts or ideas where I should start?
Thank you!!!

crosleyshortsport

Jack it up and spin each wheel backwards and you should see which one is causing the problem. I have not ever had that happen. It sounds more like a bolt may have fallen out of the ring gear in the rear-end. That will stop you from rolling backwards.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021, 3:48 PM David Stubenvoll <David.Stubenvoll@...> wrote:
All of a sudden my CD wagon decided to only roll frontwards, the mechanical brakes lock up when I try to push it backwards. I read the brake section in the manual but have not tried to adjust anything yet. Is this unusual or a common problem? Thoughts or ideas where I should start?
Thank you!!!

Don Pitchford

David,
It's common enough that I had the same thing happen a few months ago. I hope some mechanical brake experts will offer up a better solution. I jacked up all 4 corners and found the offending brake was the passenger rear. Since the brakes were fully gone through and adjusted to perfection about 50 miles ago, or 3 years ago, I didn't think the problem could be wear. The wheel would turn forward without any drag. If I turned it backward it turned smoothly about 1/3rd of a turn then locked up. If I loosened the crown nut a couple of turns it would rotate freely, but of course I couldn't run it that way because it would damage the wheel bearing, hub, etc. I cleaned everything really well- cam, pivots, brake drum, etc. and found that by carefully adjusting the crown nut I could get it to turn smoothly with just the slightest drag. I drove it about 3 miles after that and it seems to work OK. Since it was time to put the 48 wagon away to make room to work on the Hot Shot over the winter, that's as far as I've gotten on the brakes.
Good Luck,
Don Pitchford