Topics

Bell Housing Bolt Sizes

wpaxt@...

I am slowly making progress on my 1947 Round Side and in getting ready to remove the motor I noticed that the previous owner had a bunch of mis-matched bolts on the bell housing.  Can anyone tell me what the proper size bolts are (there are 5) to attach the motor to the bell housing?

Many thanks.

Bill

Tim Hamblen

Mine are all 3/8". Just bolted one up this week. I don't believe I have ever taken an original apart so not sure if they were Nationa Fine or National Coarse. I would guess coarse.Also not sure if the factory used lock washers but I am not keen on lock washers on aluminum so it's flat and LocTite for me.

wpaxt@...

Thanks, Tim.  I was more concerned about the length of the bolts since the guy who had the truck before me used a variety of lengths   Any chance that you know the length of your bolts?

Bill

Tim Hamblen

3&1/2 " at the two starter bolts and 2 " everywhere else.. Not real critical as long as you have full thread engagement at the nuts.Remember too, you have a ground cable clamped under one of the starter bolts.

wpaxt@...

Thanks, Tim, and also for the tip about the ground cable.

Bill