Topics

Bear driven circus Crosley near Dayton

paul

Folks,
the other day someone mentioned that it looked like a former owner had tried to make a Farm O Road copy.  staring at the car, I decided to go do some measuring.  how hard is it to shorten a torque tube drive?   this Crosley has been cut down to a 57 inch wheelbase.  it measures 100 inches from the outside of the pipe front bumper to the back of the body. the arched frame cross member that I suspect belongs over the differential is just inside the back of the body, saying that it started out as an 80 inch wheel base Crosley.  the wide cowl in front of the original windshield has been cut away at the back, placing the home made dashboard just a few inches behind the top of the firewall. everything seems to give more credence to the bear story. it'd take a man on stilts to  reach the pedals while sitting in the seat.
now, do I get it running and stopping, clear coat the raggedy paint to "as found"  or beat a few panels, sand and paint, take it to former glory days?
thank goodness Crosley people have a great sense of humor when others make jokes about circus connections to these cars. I have a friend who can't take a joke on him but insists he wants to see me in a orange/red wig, loose clothing, suspenders, pancaked face, and 2 foot long shoes every time we speak of Crosleys. he thinks he is the only one who can make a joke, gets mad if I jerk his leash. :-)
I will be getting the name of the second owner back and hope he has more history.  beyond restoration is a phrase that well describes this one though it seems pretty solid except the floor pan between the
rear wheel houses.  at the asking price, even if I do nothing but keep it in dry storage, I just could not allow it to become a parts donor or scrap.     Paul Rinehart

Jim Bollman

I was the one that said it looked like a homemade FOR. The FOR wheelbase is 63" and the pickup box version measures very close to 96" so the dimensions are close. I sometimes haul my FOR in the back of my pickup which also matches.

I didn't pay any attention to the seat placement in the pictures till I just looked back. Some kind of a seat extension will need to be fabricated or leg/arm augmentation if you're going to actually drive it. With the short wheelbase it should be a fun to drive but a little squirrelly.

You will fit right in at the Crosley Nationals, we usually have at least one clown car running around some times more. Some of us are clowns with out the car.

Jim...

On Mar 28, 2018, at 3:26 PM, paul <bikertrash@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim,
RE: "Some of us are clowns with out the car."   that's what I meant about Crosley folks, if someone is laughing at you, join them. beats the heck out of fighting or blowing up blood pressure.
I thought it was you who commented but didn't want to accuse wrongly. that is why I went out to measure, at first I thought maybe it was a FOR chassis but the bodywork makes the 12" wheels appear in
proportion as 15s do on a jeep. the bodywork is pretty well done, not a backyard hack job, the sides match. it wouldn't take much work to turn it into a passable 5/8 sized jeep, but then the charm goes away.   Paul