From: Ron Frost via Groups.Io <rd.frost@...>
To: Crosley-Gang <Crosley-Gang@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Apr 22, 2019 3:24 pm
Subject: [Crosley-Gang] batterys

Good morning. Wondering if a motorcycle battery will work , enough crank
 amperage to start a Crosley 4 cyl. engine. I have installed an engine in a small
 tractor and really don't have room for a 6 volt car battery.

Ron Frost

OK , Thanks.
Going to try one and see. Seems like it should work.

 Ron Perma Frost

On Monday, April 22, 2019, 5:01:15 PM PDT, Jaks via Groups.Io <papajaks@...> wrote:

I use a $25 Walmart l2 volt 230 cca lawn tractor battery on my 12v converted engine (with a 6v Crosley starter) without a problem, but then the generator and voltage regulator are 12v so I haven't had to charge it.  I also know of other members using a Honda Gold Wing
battery to turn the Crosley

Good morning. Wondering if a motorcycle battery will work , enough crank
 amperage to start a Crosley 4 cyl. engine. I have installed an engine in a small
 tractor and really don't have room for a 6 volt car battery.

Steve Olinger

Those batteries may start it and certainly wont hurt the starter,  but you will pop the 6 volt  regulator and 6volt coil will need to be swapped to a 12 volt coil. If the field windings in the generator are swapped for the (late 50s Chrysler products) 12 volt windings and a 12 volt regulator to charge the 12 volt battery. Other ways to get 12 volt is run a 12 volt alternator and regulator with a rv (motor home) 12 volt water pump or  I have used a mid 50s chevy generator (& regulator) that ran a power steering pump and drilled a hole in the shaft to drive the water pump. These type delco generators are a little larger than the Crosley autolites so the bracket has to be ground out a little. Just a couple options to run 12 volt. Note all these 12 volt conversions are for negative grounds.

crosleyshortsport

I have always used these quality batteries from Napa