Topics

battery question

Ron Frost

Would a 6 volt motor cycle battery have enough zip to start a Crosley 4 cyl engine?

 Ron Perma Frost

Don Pitchford

Ron,
It would need to be a pretty big motorcycle battery to work. I use farm tractor 6 volt batteries (Farm and Fleet part number 0000000235146) in my Crosleys. These batteries are about 9 inches by 9 inches by 6 3/4 inches. They weigh 33 pounds. They are rated at 660 CCA. While they provide plenty of cracking power in the summer, they are about the smallest battery I would want when the temperature gets cool, or if I have to crank on one for awhile to get it going. One of the big limitations I have found over the decades is while cranking over the engine the voltage to the ignition can be pulled low enough that the ignition fire is marginal. I've never measured how much current a 4 cylinder Crosley draws when it's cranking over, but it's enough to tax a battery that isn't top notch.

On the other hand, if you have the spark plugs out and just want to spin the motor over to check stuff, a motorcycle battery or a car battery connected through jumper cables will spin it over.

Don Pitchford

On Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 09:50:52 AM CST, Ron Frost via groups.io <rd.frost@...> wrote:

Would a 6 volt motor cycle battery have enough zip to start a Crosley 4 cyl engine?

 Ron Perma Frost

Jim Bollman

Are you doing this for cost or size?

Had a hard time even finding a 6v motorcycle battery online then most don’t give specs. I did find a Lithium 6v MC battery and they are known to be able to draw a lot of current for a short time but very expensive. I have actually driven a Crosley short distances using the starter motor, so you probably don’t need all the cranking current for normal use. A lot of motorcycles have bigger engines than the Crosley so it might work. No first hand experience.

On Nov 25, 2020, at 10:50 AM, Ron Frost via groups.io <rd.frost=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Would a 6 volt motor cycle battery have enough zip to start a Crosley 4 cyl engine?

Ron Perma Frost

Tim Hamblen

Having bought many batteries for mowers, ATVs etc, you'll find that a good M/C battery costs more than a 6 volt car battery. I just scored one from Rural King for 50 bucks. half of what everyone else wanted.

Ron Frost

OK thanks. Sure worth a look see.

 Ron Perma Frost