Topics

Anyone know the original Crosly 4.5-12 tire dimensions ?

Todd Swangstu

I am looking at buying new tires for my Crosley Wagon and read someplace the original 4.50-12 bias plys were larger then even the 4.80-12s available today.  The tire numbering is usually a direct measurement of the tire so not sure if this is true.  Thus I am looking for someone with a low mileage Crosley or even an unused spare with a known original 4.50-12 still on it they could measure to figure out proper tire specifications.  As we all know a slight change in tire dimension greatly alters the effective MPH of any vehicle and this is quite important to good drive ability and speed.  Thanks for any help offered! Todd

crosleyshortsport

Smith Enterprises,  Tony Smith,  is a Crosley club member and advertises in the quarterly. He has the proper size tires. 260-665-2168    He will ship them to you.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018, 2:30 PM Todd Swangstu <bastardbus@...> wrote:
I am looking at buying new tires for my Crosley Wagon and read someplace the original 4.50-12 bias plys were larger then even the 4.80-12s available today.  The tire numbering is usually a direct measurement of the tire so not sure if this is true.  Thus I am looking for someone with a low mileage Crosley or even an unused spare with a known original 4.50-12 still on it they could measure to figure out proper tire specifications.  As we all know a slight change in tire dimension greatly alters the effective MPH of any vehicle and this is quite important to good drive ability and speed.  Thanks for any help offered! Todd

Jim Bollman

I measured a like new original 4:50X12 and it was 21.5" in diameter.
I measured a Coker BFG 4:50X12 when they first came out 30 years or so ago and they were 19.4" in diameter.
I run Carlisle USA trailer tires that look pretty good (Tony Smith cares them) 4:80X12 and they were 20.5" in diameter.

Tony has several lines of 12" tire both bias ply and radials.

Good luck.

Jim...

On Jul 25, 2018, at 1:26 PM, Todd Swangstu <bastardbus@...> wrote:

I am looking at buying new tires for my Crosley Wagon and read someplace the original 4.50-12 bias plys were larger then even the 4.80-12s available today.  The tire numbering is usually a direct measurement of the tire so not sure if this is true.  Thus I am looking for someone with a low mileage Crosley or even an unused spare with a known original 4.50-12 still on it they could measure to figure out proper tire specifications.  As we all know a slight change in tire dimension greatly alters the effective MPH of any vehicle and this is quite important to good drive ability and speed.  Thanks for any help offered! Todd

Todd Swangstu

Just picked up my car today and took a look and what a strange thing I found they are all marked ARCO 530/450-12 tires.  Interesting they have two sizes marked on em.  I did some research online and indeed the 480/12 are 20.5 inch and the 530/12 are 21.5.  Since Jim said his original spare 450 measure 21.5 and I see no issues with rubbing with the 21.5 ARCO 530/450s on mine I am going to go with the new 530-12s too.  I think the last thing a Crosley needs is a shorter tire to drop maximum speed even more.

Steve

Be creful with 530 x 12.  Put those on my 48.  Okay in the rear.  Rubbed the fender on the front when turning.

Just picked up my car today and took a look and what a strange thing I found they are all marked ARCO 530/450-12 tires.  Interesting they have two sizes marked on em.  I did some research online and indeed the 480/12 are 20.5 inch and the 530/12 are 21.5.  Since Jim said his original spare 450 measure 21.5 and I see no issues with rubbing with the 21.5 ARCO 530/450s on mine I am going to go with the new 530-12s too.  I think the last thing a Crosley needs is a shorter tire to drop maximum speed even more.

Todd Swangstu

Steve, were those the bias ply or radial 530-12s.  I have seen both but the radial has much wider tread/foot print which might cause that.  I will check mine tomorrow and see if it rubs too.

L.E. Hardee

Just a note:  While the smaller tire diameter could indeed cut your speed at a given rpm, it will also increase your torque.  This will allow for faster acceleration and could actually increase the top speed if you don't mind your engine rpm being higher.  BUT, how many of us want to go over 70 mph in a Crosley anyway.  Once was enough for me.  I was 16 and crazy to do it then.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 7:30 PM, Steve <brawnybug@...> wrote:

Be creful with 530 x 12.  Put those on my 48.  Okay in the rear.  Rubbed the fender on the front when turning.

Just picked up my car today and took a look and what a strange thing I found they are all marked ARCO 530/450-12 tires.  Interesting they have two sizes marked on em.  I did some research online and indeed the 480/12 are 20.5 inch and the 530/12 are 21.5.  Since Jim said his original spare 450 measure 21.5 and I see no issues with rubbing with the 21.5 ARCO 530/450s on mine I am going to go with the new 530-12s too.  I think the last thing a Crosley needs is a shorter tire to drop maximum speed even more.

Todd Swangstu

Edited

I have driven VWs for 30 years and they have a similar issue as Crosleys, being somewhat underpowered.  With tires and final drive ratios, I found the smartest move was to always stick with the factory tire (dimension) used with the drive train it was designed for.  I have seen people go smaller to improve torque and larger tire to improve top end speed but both creates nothing but problems at the other end of the spectrum.  I feel the engineers that designed these vehicles took all factors into consideration and came up with the over all best set up for the car.  I want to drive my Crosley as much as possible in modern day traffic and I think that would give me the best over all results.

Steve

Those were bias.