Air Cleaner for Carter Carb

jeff

Looking for an air cleaner to fit the Carter carb in my Hotshot.   Any suggestions on what will fit and where to buy?  Thanks,  Jeff

crosleyshortsport

Jeff,  Check with our fine suppliers, the air cleaners are the same, just different size base for carter carb. You can also advertise for one, on the facebook group site, crosleyautomobiles...fun little cars. If you find one without a top, I have an extra top. Also, I recommend using the napa paper filter.    Jeffrey

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020, 12:52 PM jeff <jeffalyon@...> wrote:
Looking for an air cleaner to fit the Carter carb in my Hotshot.   Any suggestions on what will fit and where to buy?  Thanks,  Jeff

L.E. Hardee

The later CD and VC Crosleys used a Fram disposable air filter.  It looks like a orange colored tin can sitting on top the carb. It attached using a short section of rubber hose and clamps.  They are hard to find now.  I have seen a nos one a year or so back on ebay.  But your HotShot probably had an oil bath air cleaner if it is a 1949 or 1950.

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 1:02 PM crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:
Jeff,  Check with our fine suppliers, the air cleaners are the same, just different size base for carter carb. You can also advertise for one, on the facebook group site, crosleyautomobiles...fun little cars. If you find one without a top, I have an extra top. Also, I recommend using the napa paper filter.    Jeffrey

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020, 12:52 PM jeff <jeffalyon@...> wrote:
Looking for an air cleaner to fit the Carter carb in my Hotshot.   Any suggestions on what will fit and where to buy?  Thanks,  Jeff

jeff

Thanks for the good info.  I am looking to buy an oil bath air cleaner if anyone has one.  I can purchase through PayPal,  or I can trade for it.  My Crosley trade items include;  two original oil bath air cleaners for the Tillotson carb, one original FOR rear brake drum, Bearcat engines, etc.

Jeff

Steve

If you're not worried about a stock look, K&N makes a variety of universal air filters. I am using one on my Crofton Bug with a Carter carb. I found one that had an inside diameter closest to the throat size of the Carter and hold it in place with a hose clamp. Hasn't fallen off in 25 years. And yes for you skeptics I have driven the Bug a lot in that time.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

[...]

Butch

Jeff,

You will probably have a very hard time, finding a VC oil bath air cleaner, for a Carter carb.
The ones for Tillotsons are rare enough. There are SHORTER that the ones used on the CDs.
I all of our years of ownership of Service Motors, we only had a handful of them.

Butch

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020, 12:52 PM jeff <jeffalyon@...> wrote:

Looking for an air cleaner to fit the Carter carb in my Hotshot.
Any suggestions on what will fit and where to buy?
Thanks,
Jeff

jeff

Thanks Butch, that is why I  am offering to trade some nice Crosley goodies for a VC Carter air cleaner.

Jeff

Butch

Jeff,

To be honest, I've never seen one for a VC with a Carter.

I think that I have one or two of the "can type" filters here, but I know, no Carters of any kind. If I did, I'd be all over the FOR rear drum, to use as a pattern!

Butch

On 11/2/2020 8:30 PM, jeff wrote:
Thanks Butch, that is why I  am offering to trade some nice Crosley goodies for a VC Carter air cleaner.

Jeff

jeff

Let's keep working on it.  I may get a nice air cleaner,  and you may end up with a very nice FOR rear brake drum.  Anyone else want to jump in?

Jeff

Sent from my jphone