Tin block motor

Ron D.

A friend of mine has a family business, that's been around over 60 years. Crosley's came up in conversation, and my friends mother said that they have had a Crosley engine setting up on a shelf for many many years. She said it was rebuilt, but they never used it. I took a look at it yesterday, but it's up high on some pallet racking. From the ground, I can see it's a tin block engine. I really was hoping for a cast iron block, as it would be going in my car. They are thinking it's time to sell it. I don't know what kind of price to tell them to ask for it.

Sam Perley

I paid $250 for a tin block that was missing components but essentially all together. You could probably get around $300 I'd assume for a complete. It may be higher, but that's what I would pay for a tin. There's no real use unless you coat the waterlines on the block which isn't easy but is possible.

Sam

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021, 07:00 Ron D. <rdole417@...> wrote:
A friend of mine has a family business, that's been around over 60 years. Crosley's came up in conversation, and my friends mother said that they have had a Crosley engine setting up on a shelf for many many years. She said it was rebuilt, but they never used it. I took a look at it yesterday, but it's up high on some pallet racking. From the ground, I can see it's a tin block engine. I really was hoping for a cast iron block, as it would be going in my car. They are thinking it's time to sell it. I don't know what kind of price to tell them to ask for it.

Jim Bollman

Price is going to depend a lot on the engines actual condition. Many engines are handed down as rebuilt and a few really are rebuilt beyond cleaning up and paint. Also depends on how complete, as far accessories. Probably doesn’t make a lot of difference in a tin block but the engine number that is on the crankcase behind the distributor will give us an idea of the vintage. A few members do run them in their cars but most these days are display engines. Running display engines are worth more than a static display. If very complete, turns over and can be verified rebuilt I could see $700-$1000, value goes to near zero if stuck and incomplete. If you can get up to where it is sitting take some pictures that will help on condition.

Jim...

On Aug 5, 2021, at 7:00 AM, Ron D. <rdole417@...> wrote:

A friend of mine has a family business, that's been around over 60 years. Crosley's came up in conversation, and my friends mother said that they have had a Crosley engine setting up on a shelf for many many years. She said it was rebuilt, but they never used it. I took a look at it yesterday, but it's up high on some pallet racking. From the ground, I can see it's a tin block engine. I really was hoping for a cast iron block, as it would be going in my car. They are thinking it's time to sell it. I don't know what kind of price to tell them to ask for it.

fred@...

Edited

remember that many tin blocks were put on the shelf because of a leaking bl