New to me Crosley questions.

Jim Liberty

I have just rebuilt my disc brakes with Service Motors parts. The car stops fine, but the pedal is soft. I'll continue to "Monkey" with them.    ......Jim.

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 2:39 PM mr.chips k <olds61f85@...> wrote:
I stumbled upon a 48 Crosley 2dr locally.  It had been parked under a barn since the late 70's.  Its a 4 wheel disc brake car.  Has the cast iron engine.

Already had it running, sounded great!  Just had to clean the points, and change the oil.  Looked like maybe varasol was used as oil to store it.

Also inside there was a odd flathead engine in pieces.  Apparently it fits a 33 American Bantam(Austin 7). So thats kinda neat.

  Once I rebuild the brakes. Is the disc system still good to use?   I know they had a lot of issues when new.  I would think they fall out of adjustment often.

Jim Bollman

Is is definitely a 1948. Crosley didn’t adopt seal beam headlights till April 1948. They moved the parking lights into the fenders at that time, before that the front parking lights were built into bottom of thee headlights.

Jim...

On Jun 11, 2021, at 7:02 PM, Kenneth Cahill <kcahill@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

Good observation about the gas filler tube. It looks to be approximately the size of the air vent door in the front fender.

Kenneth Cahill

Good observation about the gas filler tube. It looks to be approximately the size of the air vent door in the front fender.

L.E. Hardee

Edited

Interesting modification to the left rear fender to recess the gas filler.  Looks like there may have been a door covering the opening at one time.

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 6:23 PM mr.chips k <olds61f85@...> wrote:
Its hard telling whats been done to it.  I know he had another one.  I got the doors, and extra stuff to it.  Also it may not be a 48, no Vin tag on the firewall.  Did come with a Iowa title that says 48.  Close enough for me!   Has no rust.  But was welded up in the past.

mr.chips k

Its hard telling whats been done to it.  I know he had another one.  I got the doors, and extra stuff to it.  Also it may not be a 48, no Vin tag on the firewall.  Did come with a Iowa title that says 48.  Close enough for me!   Has no rust.  But was welded up in the past.

Jim Bollman

From the photo you just posted it looks like you found a good project. It would have come with 6” mechanical brakes from the factory so someone must have converted it to disc brakes sometime in the past, pretty much a bolt on conversion. Service Motors has all the parts you need to rebuild the brakes including some improvements to the design to make them more reliable.

Jim...