48 CC Pick Up with crappy brakes

Jim Liberty

+1 Tim.    ....Jim.

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 5:31 PM Tim Hamblen via groups.io <flinttim=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
You need to get the drums and shoes to a brake shop and have the drums turned and the shoes arc ground to match.

Tim Hamblen

You need to get the drums and shoes to a brake shop and have the drums turned and the shoes arc ground to match.

Jim Liberty

I have a brake re-lining shop "Turn" my drums, and match the linings to them. I don't have my '47 PU on the road yet, so no comment on performance. Mine are mechanical UG !!!     .....Jim.

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 3:11 PM Michael Braun <mwbraun@...> wrote:

My 48 Pick Up’s brakes were done by a prior owner.  The car has the hydraulic brakes.  Braking on this vehicle sucks and I can’t drive this thing in traffic.  I believe I have identified the problem as the brake shoe’s surface is uneven and does not match the drum  As a result very little of the brake shoe surface actually engages the drum.  I read an article that said to use “stick-on” sand paper inside the drum.  As you rotate the drum the sandpaper cuts down the high spots on the shoe.  I am in the process of doing this now and it appears to be working.  My question for the group is the size of the shoes.  The shoes on my pick up are 1” wide while the drum surface is almost 2”.  Do I have the correct shoes on the vehicle??

Jim Bollman

The stock 9” Bendix brakes are 1 inch wide.

On Apr 25, 2021, at 6:11 PM, Michael Braun <mwbraun@...> wrote:

My 48 Pick Up’s brakes were done by a prior owner.  The car has the hydraulic brakes.  Braking on this vehicle sucks and I can’t drive this thing in traffic.  I believe I have identified the problem as the brake shoe’s surface is uneven and does not match the drum  As a result very little of the brake shoe surface actually engages the drum.  I read an article that said to use “stick-on” sand paper inside the drum.  As you rotate the drum the sandpaper cuts down the high spots on the shoe.  I am in the process of doing this now and it appears to be working.  My question for the group is the size of the shoes.  The shoes on my pick up are 1” wide while the drum surface is almost 2”.  Do I have the correct shoes on the vehicle??

Michael Braun