From: Jim Liberty <jimliberty356@...>
Date: 1/24/21 4:12 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Gasporter Linkage

Thanks Jim. I have a picture from Paula that gives me the layout. .........Jim.

PS. Here is my shop. I restore 356 Porsches, but the '47 PU will be my shop truck. The body is off and in the body/paint shop. The frame has been dry ice stripped, and painted.  .....................................................Jim                   libertymotorsports356.net

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 3:42 PM Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
There are on bunch of pictures in the Photo Album section under Restoration Tips. Search for brakes if this link doesn’t work. Not sure if they will tell you both what you need to know.

If these pictures don’t help I will see what I can dig out of my photo files. The club has a display of brake systems at the Nationals every year and I have some pictures of those displays.

I assume when you said sliding clutch bar you mean sliding brake bar? I think during the vintage of the Gasporter they had a cable clutch in the cars.

Jim...

On Jan 24, 2021, at 3:49 PM, jeff <jeffalyon@...> wrote:

Hello everyone.   I am now restoring a Gasporter and the mechanical brake and clutch cable linkages have been modified/changed over the years.   Anyone have a photo or drawing of the correct original setup?  I am not sure how the sliding clutch bar is supposed to work.

Thanks,

Jeff

jeff

Thanks for all the responses.  I found my Gasporter in Big Bear Lake airport in California about 15 years ago.   The mechanical brakes are standard 6 inch Crosley (with cast shoes, not the later steel shoes).
However, the clutch is actuated by a cable attached to an elaborate mix of linkages with an angle iron linkage which rolls on a small roll wheel.  Please note that when you step on the brake pedal it also depresses the clutch.  There is not a separate pedal for the clutch.  Each time you step on the brakes the clutch is depressed as well.
The Gasporter Crosley transmission was modified to only allow first or reverse to be engaged.   You could not shift into second or third gear in the Gasporter as the shift rail was rotated 180 degrees inside the transmission cover so the shift indent was not accessible by the shift lever.
What does the standard Crosley mechanical linkage setup look like?
And how is the standard Crosley linkage modified for the Gasporter?
Anyone have a Gasporter with the correct original linkage?
Thanks again
Jeff

Sent from my jphone

[...]

Jim Liberty

[...]

Jim Bollman

[...]

I am new to Crosley. I am doing a body-off restoration of a '47 PU. I'd live to see pictures of this set up also.    .....Jim.