VC brake issues

Dennis Wilkinson

I replaced my whole brake system, virtually everything new, The problem I am having is everywhere there is a copper washer it is leaking, I used all new washers and have tightened the bolts as tight as I dare without breaking them, Also have same problem with master cylinder, Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks: Dennis

Don Pitchford

Dennis,
I had a similar problem with one hydraulic brake wheel cylinder/hose, but didn't have new copper washers available so as a quick fix I cut a "washer" from some thin fiber gasket material and used it along with the copper washer. I don't know if it's a proper repair but so far, so good.
Don Pitchford

Jim Bollman

This is a long shot but I picked up some “copper” washers some years back just to have not for an immediate project and when I needed one they didn’t look right and they turned out to be steel washers with a copper coating. You need the soft copper to seal.

What is your master cylinder doing?

Jim...

On Dec 15, 2020, at 1:16 PM, Dennis Wilkinson <denkath@...> wrote:

I replaced my whole brake system, virtually everything new, The problem I am having is everywhere there is a copper washer it is leaking, I used all new washers and have tightened the bolts as tight as I dare without breaking them, Also have same problem with master cylinder, Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks: Dennis

Ken Ballein

I just did a complete brake job on my 52 wagon. I bought a copper washer assortment from Harbor Freight for 5 bucks. It had the right sizes for wheel cylinders. I had already assembled the master cylinder using the old copper washers. I also replaced all the lines and hoses, no leaks.

You might try the HF washers.

Ken

Dennis Wilkinson

Master is leaking at ate copper washer at the junction of brake switch and “ T ” for brake lines.

This is a long shot but I picked up some “copper” washers some years back just to have not for an immediate project and when I needed one they didn’t look right and they turned out to be steel washers with a copper coating. You need the soft copper to seal.

What is your master cylinder doing?

Jim...

On Dec 15, 2020, at 1:16 PM, Dennis Wilkinson <denkath@...> wrote:

I replaced my whole brake system, virtually everything new, The problem I am having is everywhere there is a copper washer it is leaking, I used all new washers and have tightened the bolts as tight as I dare without breaking them, Also have same problem with master cylinder, Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks: Dennis

David Reina

Hi Dennis,

Do you have an extra unused washer that you can do a plated steel vs true copper test with a magnet? If it is true copper you could anneal them. I always do that when I have to reuse a copper washer. I hang the washer on a piece of bailing wire and heat it over the flame of a gas stove or gently in a propane torch until its cherry red then I quench it in water. That softens them up really well and they seal much better. .

Dave

Brooklyn, NY

Dennis Wilkinson

Great idea! Will give it a try!