Topics

rebuilding a six bolt water pump

James Hudson

Hello everyone,  I was wondering if there is a special way to remove the steel cap on a six bolt water pump without damaging the cap (or the body of the pump, for that matter). I've searched this forum and couldn't find a discussion that answered it. There's a really detailed (almost an hour) total video on youtube  but the cap was off already and the gentleman made a nice bronze replacement cap (I'm not that skilled). Any information, as always, will be greatly appreciated. Jim Hudson

nadno1

James, I just recently did a 6 bolt water pump, I just used a piece
Of hardwood tapered at the end to a flat end I then just caught the edge, if you look there maybe a small indent that catches the cap, I started there giving it sharp raps out the way the cap needed to go, it took a little time to break it loose but it did come off ok. James if by chance you buy a rebuild kit from service motor the drawing they sent with mine was not correct so you may need to check on that.
Neal in Iowa

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 5/28/20 2:02 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: [Crosley-Gang] rebuilding a six bolt water pump

Hello everyone,  I was wondering if there is a special way to remove the steel cap on a six bolt water pump without damaging the cap (or the body of the pump, for that matter). I've searched this forum and couldn't find a discussion that answered it. There's a really detailed (almost an hour) total video on youtube  but the cap was off already and the gentleman made a nice bronze replacement cap (I'm not that skilled). Any information, as always, will be greatly appreciated. Jim Hudson

James Hudson

Thanks Neal! I'll give that a try. Thank you also for the heads up about the drawing-Jim