Topics

Flywheel for Sprite clutch

Steve Olinger

Thanks Seb & Jim. Stay Safe!

Jim Bollman

Here is the pointer to the files Seb is referring.

Jim...

On Apr 22, 2020, at 10:34 PM, seb fontana via groups.io <speedoo51@...> wrote:

Go to Crosley Gang group files. Seventh one down. Crosley Clutch Conversion.

seb fontana

Go to Crosley Gang group files. Seventh one down. Crosley Clutch Conversion.

Couldn't open file.

Jim Bollman

That is listed in the parts manual as the bare flywheel part number (no ring gear). They don't list a different flywheel for the two sizes of clutch that I could find, so I assume you had to specify or they just discontinued the 6" flywheel when the new one came out figuring if you needed to replace the flywheel you might as well put in the improved clutch at the same time.

Jim...

On Apr 21, 2020, at 4:16 PM, Jim Murphy <lftrn97@...> wrote:

Is the number C205218 cast on a Crosley flyweel indicative of the produc/tion year or whether it is for a 6" or 6 1/2"clutch? Or is it just a generic part number?

Steve Olinger

Hi,
       I can't get the attachment to open. Thanks

Is the number C205218 cast on a Crosley flyweel indicative of the produc/tion year or whether it is for a 6" or 6 1/2"clutch? Or is it just a generic part number?

seb fontana

The Crosley release bearing will work as per attachment and the sprite discs fit the Crosley trans splines [Yes!]  .file:///C:/Users/sebastian/Downloads/Crosley%20Clutch%20Conversion.pdf

BOB ROSS

As a sprite owner I have never been thrilled with the sprite std clutch... And I am not sure, but I have heard that the spitfire clutch is stronger and has been used in place of the Sprite clutches..  Just a bit of input. I am not sure it is worth using, but I think it to be smaller and I am told stronger.
Antiqbob

David

I’ve never used a Sprite clutch with a Crosley transmission.  I have used Fiat 1200 and Sprite trannys.

David

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: "David via groups.io" <drlamber@...>

Date: 4/20/20 4:01 PM (GMT-05:00)

To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io

I use a Sprite 6 ¼” racing clutch with a solid disk.  It might be too harsh for the street, but it does not slip.  A Crosley bellhousing requires a small amount of work with a rotary file or grinder to clear.

From: "David via groups.io" <drlamber@...>
Date: 4/20/20 4:01 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io

I use a Sprite 6 ¼” racing clutch with a solid disk.  It might be too harsh for the street, but it does not slip.  A Crosley bellhousing requires a small amount of work with a rotary file or grinder to clear.

David

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I am wondering if anyone has found some stiffer springs for the Crosley 6" clutch? I think thats all thats really needed to make a little more positive; the one that was in the car I had when I was young memory says had stiffer springs, I beat the daylights out of that car and never had a clutch issue.. Is there is a marked difference in using the 6.5 clutch. I see that Moss has a 7" diaphragm Spriget clutch but don't know if it will fit in the Crosley bell..They have several 6&6.25 clutches at varying costs.  Seb.

Thank you, Jim

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

A50CROSLEYTRK@...

If I remember right I used the short valve springs made for valve rotors. Were used so I checked with scales in a drill press to find strongest 3 for pressure plate.  Still feels like stepping on a wet noodle but with 6 1/2 " does not slip.
           bye           Robert

In a message dated 4/20/2020 1:23:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, speedoo51@... writes:

[...]

Spock Arnold

Thanks Jim, I would have guessed earlier.  Nice to have facts.

On Apr 20, 2020 8:25 AM, Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
There were probably running changes to the flywheel over the years but I don't know what they are other than the location of the mounting holes for the pressure plate. If you are redrilling for a completely different clutch assembly I don't think it makes much difference.

6 1/2" Clutch switch over
              CD-205500
              VC-20783

This switch would have been late in the 1950 production late August with 1951 production starting in Nov 1950.

Jim...

On Apr 20, 2020, at 8:07 AM, Jim Murphy <lftrn97@...> wrote:

Need to know the differences between 6" and 6.5" clutch flywheel if there are any. Also, what years or models had the 6.5"?

Jim Bollman