From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io [mailto:Crosley-Gang@groups.io] On Behalf Of Paula W
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2020 5:37 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: [Crosley-Gang] Brake Spring mystery

There is a spring that I found resting on the frame under the car by the brake pedal area. Attached is a photo of the spring (broken) as well as a photo of page 36, figure 28 in the Crosley Manual which I believe has a clue.
My guess is that this spring is in fact what looks like a spring in figure 28 that hooks from where the brake pedal pull rod ("D") attaches to the arm of the brake pedal. The other end seems to go off somewhere non-specific.
Our mechanic was under our car today trying to figure out what the spring is supposed to do and where it hooked in, but could not locate two points of attachment.

Can anyone shed any light?  Does anyone have a picture of it correctly installed?

Steve

The brake light switch hooks on the frame cross-member.  The spring should have a hook on both ends.  There is limited slide action on the switch, so it needs to spring to avoid over extending the pull on the switch.

There is a spring that I found resting on the frame under the car by the brake pedal area. Attached is a photo of the spring (broken) as well as a photo of page 36, figure 28 in the Crosley Manual which I believe has a clue.
My guess is that this spring is in fact what looks like a spring in figure 28 that hooks from where the brake pedal pull rod ("D") attaches to the arm of the brake pedal. The other end seems to go off somewhere non-specific.
Our mechanic was under our car today trying to figure out what the spring is supposed to do and where it hooked in, but could not locate two points of attachment.

Can anyone shed any light?  Does anyone have a picture of it correctly installed?

Spock Arnold

I think that one attaches to your brake light sensor . Either that or it is the pedal return spring and the other is for the sensor.  Sorry no CC s here just VC s, a FOR, and a Pre War.

On Feb 14, 2020 6:36 PM, Paula W <paula_whitney@...> wrote:

There is a spring that I found resting on the frame under the car by the brake pedal area. Attached is a photo of the spring (broken) as well as a photo of page 36, figure 28 in the Crosley Manual which I believe has a clue.
My guess is that this spring is in fact what looks like a spring in figure 28 that hooks from where the brake pedal pull rod ("D") attaches to the arm of the brake pedal. The other end seems to go off somewhere non-specific.
Our mechanic was under our car today trying to figure out what the spring is supposed to do and where it hooked in, but could not locate two points of attachment.

Can anyone shed any light?  Does anyone have a picture of it correctly installed?

That is the brake light switch spring. Mine is broken the same way, but was still attached to the switch on the frame.

On Feb 14, 2020, at 6:36 PM, Paula W <paula_whitney@...> wrote:

There is a spring that I found resting on the frame under the car by the brake pedal area. Attached is a photo of the spring (broken) as well as a photo of page 36, figure 28 in the Crosley Manual which I believe has a clue.
My guess is that this spring is in fact what looks like a spring in figure 28 that hooks from where the brake pedal pull rod ("D") attaches to the arm of the brake pedal. The other end seems to go off somewhere non-specific.
Our mechanic was under our car today trying to figure out what the spring is supposed to do and where it hooked in, but could not locate two points of attachment.

Can anyone shed any light?  Does anyone have a picture of it correctly installed?

Attachments:

Paula W

Wow - I should have noticed the brake light stopped working.
However -
1 - Is it odd that when the car lights are "on", the tail light brightens when the brake pedal is pushed, but doesn't light at all when the lights are "off"? If the circuit diagram has an answer (figure 33 page 48, plus a magnifying glass) I'm not seeing it. Is that all related to the broken spring?

2 - Is a replacement spring a Crosley part or should I scout hardware stores?

L.E. Hardee

Question 1 sounds like a bulb ground problem.  When lights are on, the brake light ground through the light circuit but no ground without the tail lights on.  Kinda weird but I have seen it before especially on trailers.

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 9:05 PM Paula W <paula_whitney@...> wrote:
Wow - I should have noticed the brake light stopped working.
However -
1 - Is it odd that when the car lights are "on", the tail light brightens when the brake pedal is pushed, but doesn't light at all when the lights are "off"? If the circuit diagram has an answer (figure 33 page 48, plus a magnifying glass) I'm not seeing it. Is that all related to the broken spring?

2 - Is a replacement spring a Crosley part or should I scout hardware stores?

Paula W

In case it matters - this car has only the one tail light and in there is only one bulb.
I appreciate all the comments. I have to (learn to) check for grounds and also get under that part of the car myself to see how that bake light switch operates and where that spring should go.

I did find one old post which may not be relevant to my situation (no answer jumps out), but it suggests the switch itself may benefit from maintenance.
http://crosleyautoclub.com/CrosleyGarage/Chassis/brake_light_switch.htm

Randy C

The genuine Crosley optional right side tail light had only a single filament bulb so no stop light in it. At least that is the way it was on the 1948 station wagon and 1947 sedan I owned back in the 1960's.

   Randy

crosleyshortsport

Paula,  You can certainly find a similar spring at a hardware store. That brake light switch is one of the toughest parts to see and get at. The grounding issue is typically going to be at the housing as it attaches to the body. Pull the tail light housing off and be sure you have clean bare metal on the body and the housing. Many times a restoration gets done beatifully and then all the parts get put back together and the grounding points get forgotten. Or the restoration gets old and corrosion starts at the grounding points.