Topics

Strange OIl Filter?? - Any Ideas

Jim Bollman

Edited

I assume this is aftermarket but I have never ran across one.

A fellow sent me the following pictures asking for info. We are assuming it is some kind of oil filter. It came off the side of the pan in a 48 Crosley.  The pan pictures show how it was mounted, not sure what the 12 bolt steel reinforced mod was for.

Anyone seen one?

Gabriel Haddad

Very interesting. I would like to see better pictures of the "filter". How does it break down? It kind of looks like the re-enforced part of the pan was used as a pass through for tubing.

David Reina

Does the shaft spin and is it a centrifugal type of oil filter?  I think some really fancy cars had centrifugal oil filters.

Dave

On Jan 4, 2020, at 8:59 PM, Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:

I assume this is aftermarket but I have never ran across one.

A fellow sent me the following pictures asking for info. We are assuming it is some kind of oil filter. It came off the side of the pan in a 48 Crosley.  The pan pictures show how it was mounted, not sure what the 12 bolt steel reinforced mod was for.

Anyone seen one?

<OilFilter-mod.jpeg><Pan-Outside-mod.jpeg><Pan-Inside-mod.jpeg> <Pan-Outside-mod.jpeg><Pan-Inside-mod.jpeg><OilFilter-mod.jpeg><Pan-Outside-mod.jpeg><Pan-Inside-mod.jpeg><OilFilter-mod.jpeg>

Jim Bollman

I asked for more pictures and information. He said he would take some detail pictures of the filter and "The inside of the filter has very fine vane that intertwines with rotating vanes that seem to clean the filter."

Is that a centrifugal filter? I never heard of that type of filter.

Jim...

On Jan 5, 2020, at 7:57 PM, David Reina via Groups.Io <reinadesigns@...> wrote:

Does the shaft spin and is it a centrifugal type of oil filter?  I think some really fancy cars had centrifugal oil filters.

Dave

On Jan 4, 2020, at 8:59 PM, Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:

I assume this is aftermarket but I have never ran across one.

A fellow sent me the following pictures asking for info. We are assuming it is some kind of oil filter. It came off the side of the pan in a 48 Crosley.  The pan pictures show how it was mounted, not sure what the 12 bolt steel reinforced mod was for.

Anyone seen one?

<OilFilter-mod.jpeg><Pan-Outside-mod.jpeg><Pan-Inside-mod.jpeg> <Pan-Outside-mod.jpeg><Pan-Inside-mod.jpeg><OilFilter-mod.jpeg><Pan-Outside-mod.jpeg><Pan-Inside-mod.jpeg><OilFilter-mod.jpeg>

Jim Bollman

More photos

Doug Daniel

From the photos this looks like an electromagnetic device to filter any metal particles out of the oil?

On Jan 6, 2020, at 10:44 AM, Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:

More photos
<OilFilter-2-mod.jpeg><OilFilter-3-mod.jpeg><OilFilter-4-mod.jpeg>

Gabriel Haddad

Cuno Engineering Corporation. I found some info related to it. Something similar is called the Cuno Auto-Klean Filter. Interesting, Cuno is still around!

https://books.google.com/books?id=tCcDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA114&dq=Cuno+eng+corp+oil+filter&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwieprS15e_mAhXTW80KHWU8CAgQ6AEwAHoECAUQAg#v=onepage&q=Cuno%20eng%20corp%20oil%20filter&f=false

Ron D.

Hey Gabriel, thanks for the magazine clip on the filter. I just found myself paging up to the top, and spending an hour scanning through a 91 year Popular Science magazine.

Gabriel Haddad

It's pretty cool to see the devices of the Era. I have kept looking and I really have not found that exact product. I bet there is a part number on the top. I see more text stamped on the top but, it is obscured by the bushing nut.