Topics

4-speed gearbox

Vespa Roberto

Hello my name is Roberto Vespa I am Italian and I own two Crosley and I am looking for a complete 4-speed gearbox in working order to put on my engine. Can you indicate the brand and model mounted or someone who can sell it. thanks Roberto
sorry for my english

Spock Arnold

Roberto; 
        The Crosley came with a 3 speed gearbox.  Some people have adapted various 4 speeds to it and I am sure some of them will comment. 

On Apr 22, 2020 12:47 PM, Vespa Roberto <info@...> wrote:
Hello my name is Roberto Vespa I am Italian and I own two Crosley and I am looking for a complete 4-speed gearbox in working order to put on my engine. Can you indicate the brand and model mounted or someone who can sell it. thanks Roberto
sorry for my english

dale@servicemotors.net

Some people put a fiat topolino trans behing them or a datsun transmission.

On Apr 22, 2020, at 9:48 AM, Vespa Roberto <info@...> wrote:

sorry for my english

Robert Connearney

Roberto --

Do you know what Siata, Nardi, Giaur, Stanguellini and Bandini used in their Crosley powered cars?

The problem is, if it's for a Crosley automobile, how to convert any transmission to closed driveshaft. I would guess that most, if not all, of the above little Italian cars had open drive shafts. As did most American "specials".

Dale mentioned the Topolino; I don't recall the specifics, but I was told there are a couple of versions, and the most common is not suitable, due to ratios or strength or something (?). They also have an integral bell housing, which seems to me awfully small compared to a Crosley, but I know they've been adapted somehow.

Also people have used the Midget/Sprite transmission, but again, I don't know if these can readily be converted to closed driveshaft. The Midget/Sprite open drive rear end can be used. It has a track of 42", as I recall, as opposed to Crosley's 40", same 4" bolt circle diameter, but would probably be about right for a Crosley Super Sport or Hot Shot. I have 1" wheel spacers on mine; looks funny without.  

One transmission I know can be converted to closed drive is the Volvo, because I have one, w/overdrive. I'm not sure which Volvo model it's from. I was told this is an easily done conversion, requiring very little machine work. The Volvo bell housing and an aluminum plate adapter connects the engine. The transmission is really an overkill for strength, and consequently weight.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 4/22/20 3:32 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] 4-speed gearbox

Some people put a fiat topolino trans behing them or a datsun transmission.

On Apr 22, 2020, at 9:48 AM, Vespa Roberto <info@...> wrote:

sorry for my english

Hi Robert, for an unfunushed 50s special project I am attempting to complete I have acquired two 4-speeds,an MG Midget 15 00 and an Austin Healey Sprite Rib Cage. I actually like the Midget tranny more but will  be using the Sprite because the Midget isn't age qualified for most vintage racing organizations. Also some  folks here advised me that the Sprite was an easier install. The Midget has a separate bellhousing and appears to be more compact.  I would gladly sell it to you to recoup part of my investment. 'Email me at lftrn97@... if you are interested. I can send pictures and discuss price and how to get it to you.

Robert Connearney

Jim -- Early (most) Midgets had the same transmission as Sprites. The Midget 1500 has a Spitfire transmission (and engine). I think these all (?) had an iron case. I'd guess they date back to the Herald, maybe even to its predecessor, the TR-10. I'd be surprised if any Club cared, or would even notice, that you're using a later transmission.

Do you have any idea how either of these boxes are converted to  Crosley torque tube, closed drive? What are you using for a rear in your "special"? Crosley? Sprite? I wonder if anyone has converted a Crosley rear to open drive. There were many applications for this differential (golf carts, lawn tractors), I'd guess there are standard pieces available for this conversion.

Would love to see some pictures of your car!

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 4/23/20 12:31 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] 4-speed gearbox

Hi Robert, for an unfunushed 50s special project I am attempting to complete I have acquired two 4-speeds,an MG Midget 15 00 and an Austin Healey Sprite Rib Cage. I actually like the Midget tranny more but will  be using the Sprite because the Midget isn't age qualified for most vintage racing organizations. Also some  folks here advised me that the Sprite was an easier install. The Midget has a separate bellhousing and appears to be more compact.  I would gladly sell it to you to recoup part of my investment. 'Email me at lftrn97@... if you are interested. I can send pictures and discuss price and how to get it to you.