Topics

48 CC heater

Andy Farley

My 48 CC had a heater in it when I bought it. The heater was not hooked up to the plumbing or electrical systems. I understand that one hose goes to the water pump and the other one goes to a fitting between number 3 and 4 spark plugs. Here's the catch. There's a plug in the block between 3 and 4. Does anyone know what the correct size fitting goes in the block ? Does anyone have one that I can buy?
The electrical is no big deal I can figure that part out.

Richard Williams

Standard pipe fitting threads.

On Thursday, November 5, 2020, 03:21:53 PM PST, Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:

My 48 CC had a heater in it when I bought it. The heater was not hooked up to the plumbing or electrical systems. I understand that one hose goes to the water pump and the other one goes to a fitting between number 3 and 4 spark plugs. Here's the catch. There's a plug in the block between 3 and 4. Does anyone know what the correct size fitting goes in the block ? Does anyone have one that I can buy?
The electrical is no big deal I can figure that part out.

Richard Williams

Go to a hardware store with plumbing and get a "L" shaped fitting and install it with the "L" turned up. Then just connect your out let hose. You may want to put a shut off in between so the hot water can be shut off when you don't want it on.

On Thursday, November 5, 2020, 05:19:10 PM PST, Richard Williams via groups.io <rwms_2002@...> wrote:

Standard pipe fitting threads.

On Thursday, November 5, 2020, 03:21:53 PM PST, Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:

My 48 CC had a heater in it when I bought it. The heater was not hooked up to the plumbing or electrical systems. I understand that one hose goes to the water pump and the other one goes to a fitting between number 3 and 4 spark plugs. Here's the catch. There's a plug in the block between 3 and 4. Does anyone know what the correct size fitting goes in the block ? Does anyone have one that I can buy?
The electrical is no big deal I can figure that part out.

Mike S

I'm also getting ready to hook up the heater in our '48 wagon.  Anyone have any good ideas on shut off valves that look period (for the water)?  I've seen people using ball valves but they don't look very attractive.

Gabriel Haddad

This a subject I spent a considerable amount of time researching earlier this year.  Speaking specifically of the 4 bolt pump and cast blocks, the pump is 3/8 ntp threads and the blocks are either 3/8 or 1/2 ntp. I think that is based on the earlier vs later blocks. I found some 45 degree shutoff valves after long search on ebay. I installed those in the pump. On the block I used 90 degree heater fittings threaded on one side and hose nipple on the other. I also found very nice reproduction hose clamps. Here are some pics of valves and a black pipe fitting I replaced. The one new valve is the on found on ebay. Ill try to get out to the shop this weekend and get you more details.  Good luck.

On Thu, Nov 5, 2020, 10:08 PM Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:
I'm also getting ready to hook up the heater in our '48 wagon.  Anyone have any good ideas on shut off valves that look period (for the water)?  I've seen people using ball valves but they don't look very attractive.

Mike S

I just ordered this valve which fits a '71 Ford pick up for 10 bucks on ebay.  I have a rubber hose with a 90 bend which will go onto the heater core nipple then onto this valve.  Hopefully it will look somewhat like it belongs there.  Looks like it will work even if I don't run a control cable to it.
Mike S

Andy Farley

I have a valve from a 56 Packard that I was going to use but I like the Ford valve better. I may order one to use instead.

Mike S

Ya, I have some of those climatizer heater controls from Studebakers, but thought it would be too much plumbing to make one one work right.