Topics

Starter questions

David Reina

I recently bought back my 47 Sedan from a friend who has had it the past two years.  One issue with the car I’d like to resolve is that the Bendix drive really grinds when trying to start and often gets thrown out before turning the motor enough for a start.  Is that worn flywheel teeth or a bad Bendix?

I would like to put a gear reduction starter on which I know engages the flywheel from the opposite side.  Is there aa 6 volt gear reduction starter available?

Regards to all,
Dave

David Reina
79 Guernsey Street
Brooklyn, NY 11222
347-482-4657

Richard Williams

I had one doing that. I pulled the starter and removed the Bind-x cleaned off everything including rust and oiled it lightly. It works find ever since.
Rich w

On ‎Wednesday‎, ‎April‎ ‎12‎, ‎2017‎ ‎09‎:‎41‎:‎33‎ ‎AM, David Reina via Groups.Io <reinadesigns@...> wrote:
I recently bought back my 47 Sedan from a friend who has had it the past two years.  One issue with the car I’d like to resolve is that the Bendix drive really grinds when trying to start and often gets thrown out before turning the motor enough for a start.  Is that worn flywheel teeth or a bad Bendix?

I would like to put a gear reduction starter on which I know engages the flywheel from the opposite side.  Is there aa 6 volt gear reduction starter available?

Regards to all,
Dave

David Reina
79 Guernsey Street
Brooklyn, NY 11222
347-482-4657

David Reina

Thanks Richard.  I’ll give that a try.

Dave

On Apr 12, 2017, at 8:34 PM, Richard Williams via Groups.Io <rwms_2002@...> wrote:

[...]

L.E. Hardee

Since the thread is on the subject of starter Bendix, I just wanted to mention something that I had observed.  The Crosley bendix may interchange with International Farmall tractor.  While I haven't used a Farmall bendix on a Crosley, but I have used a Crosley bendix I had on hand on my Farmall Super A.  It worked fine and appears to be the same to me.  In rural areas, new and used Farmall parts are usually available.  It may also give you another listing to use when at your parts counter if they look at you like you are stupid when you ask for a Crosley bendix.

On ‎Wednesday‎, ‎April‎ ‎12‎, ‎2017‎ ‎09‎:‎41‎:‎33‎ ‎AM, David Reina via Groups.Io <reinadesigns=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I recently bought back my 47 Sedan from a friend who has had it the past two years.  One issue with the car I’d like to resolve is that the Bendix drive really grinds when trying to start and often gets thrown out before turning the motor enough for a start.  Is that worn flywheel teeth or a bad Bendix?

I would like to put a gear reduction starter on which I know engages the flywheel from the opposite side.  Is there aa 6 volt gear reduction starter available?

Regards to all,
Dave

David Reina
79 Guernsey Street
Brooklyn, NY 11222

Jerriffic

I had a starter Bendix that didn't disengage, knocked the ring gear off the flywheel.

Jerry B.

David Reina

Jerry,

That must have been a pain.  You have to pull the motor to fix that.  It must have happened to others as well.  Over the years I’ve seen lots of Crosley flywheels with ring gears weld stitched in a few spots.

I spoke with Dale the other night and asked about a 6 volt gear reduction starter but he had never heard of one.  I know in the vintage sports car world they are the cats meow.  I recently put one on my 67 Land Rover and it cranks the motor much faster than the old Lucas starter.  I hunted on the internet for a 6 volt model that I could adapt for the Crosley but they all were 12 volt.  I seem to remember small starters being offered to folks who had converted their Crosley  to 12 volts.  Perhaps these came from the boat motors.

Even if a 6 volt gearstarter were available for the Crosley it might also push off some ring gears since they engage the flywheel from the front side.

Dale suggested that my starter problem could be fixed by changing the Bendix spring or the whole unit.  I’ve ordered one and will let everyone know how it works out.

Dave

David Reina
79 Guernsey Street
Brooklyn, NY 11222
347-482-4657

On Apr 15, 2017, at 8:25 AM, jer038 via Groups.Io <jer038@...> wrote:

I had a starter Bendix that didn't disengage, knocked the ring gear off the flywheel.

Jerry B.

Steve

The Crofton uses a smaller starter and it spins the motor much faster.  Adapters are available to fit the Crofton starter to the Crosley bellhousing.  I have one on my Super Sport.  And it is still a 6 volt positive ground starter.

[...]

Hi Dave,

 Yep, pulled the engine and swaped the flywheel out with a welded gear flywheel.  It could have been avoided with a little TLC on the starter.

 Jerry B.

Andy Farley

I was curious about the Farmall starter drive. I ordered one to see if it will work for my 48 station wagon. I needed to replace the Bendix anyway. I'll let you know in about a week.

L.E. Hardee

I have used a Crosley bendix on my Farmall before.

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 11:53 PM Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:
I was curious about the Farmall starter drive. I ordered one to see if it will work for my 48 station wagon. I needed to replace the Bendix anyway. I'll let you know in about a week.

Andy Farley

I got Farmall Bendix and put it in. Works perfectly. No more grinding when I start my 48 wagon

Jim Bollman

Do you have a part number or model/year of Farmall?

On Jun 30, 2019, at 3:33 PM, Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:

I got Farmall Bendix and put it in. Works perfectly. No more grinding when I start my 48 wagon

Andy Farley

This is the information that they provided for the Farmall Bendix that I bought.

Delco Starter Drive Farmall A B C H M & Super s MTA W4 W6 100 140 300 340 400

Jim Bollman

Thanks

On Jun 30, 2019, at 6:31 PM, Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:

This is the information that they provided for the Farmall Bendix that I bought.

Delco Starter Drive Farmall A B C H M & Super s MTA W4 W6 100 140 300 340 400

Andy Farley

The box that the Bendix was in had the following information on it.

Atlantic Quality Parts For Farm And Construction
Starter Drive
P/N 1700-0307
I looked them up. They are in Jacksonville Florida and provide parts for farm and construction equipment.

dale@servicemotors.net

You can also reach out to your crosley parts suppliers for the bendix.

On Jul 3, 2019, at 1:30 PM, Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:

The box that the Bendix was in had the following information on it.

Atlantic Quality Parts For Farm And Construction
Starter Drive
P/N 1700-0307
I looked them up. They are in Jacksonville Florida and provide parts for farm and construction equipment.

Spock Arnold

You know I have always found our suppliers reasonable in price.  In addition, they are always free with information when we need it.  All these "other" suppliers work from one catalogue or computer screen or another and know NOTHING about Crosleys.  If we lose them, where do we go for information on our cars?

On Jul 3, 2019 7:20 PM, "dale@..." <Dale@...> wrote:
You can also reach out to your crosley parts suppliers for the bendix.

On Jul 3, 2019, at 1:30 PM, Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:

The box that the Bendix was in had the following information on it.

Atlantic Quality Parts For Farm And Construction
Starter Drive
P/N 1700-0307
I looked them up. They are in Jacksonville Florida and provide parts for farm and construction equipment.

Andy Farley

It wasn't about the supplier, I was just curious about whether a Farmall Bendix would work. I buy from Service Motors and will continue to do so.

dale@servicemotors.net

Thank you Spock well said