Topics

'47 roundside pu

"threeneely" <3neely@...>

I'm the proud owner of a 47 roundside pu. i've owned this puppy for
33 years. it is merely a shell, no interior, engine or trans. its
straight and rust free. what do i have? how rare is it? at one
time, when i was younger, i remeber seeing an article saying that
there were less than 400 or so left in existence. is this true? i
have always pictured this little truck as a mini pro-street. small
block chev, 700r4, ford 9inch (no axle tubes) etc... please dont
cringe! i've had this since i was 7 and havent started yet! any and
all information would be most appreciated. thanks!
mark

Doug E Arthur <drphartz@...>

Hey Mark, Art here. I also have a '47 Round Side Pickup, It has been
messed with a bit, Top cut off, and bed covered. Really too bad as these
are scarce. I've only been in the club for a year or so, but the guys
that know say..."Try to keep this thing as Stock as possible". I know a
guy that has a stock '47 Pickup, and at Nationals I think there was only
3 examples, You should try to stay stock, within reason, Money I mean
heheh. Good Luck, Art

p.s. - I'll buy the doors off of it?? heheh
On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 04:31:28 -0000 "threeneely" <3neely@...> writes:

I'm the proud owner of a 47 roundside pu. i've owned this puppy for
33 years. it is merely a shell, no interior, engine or trans. its

straight and rust free. what do i have? how rare is it? at one
time, when i was younger, i remeber seeing an article saying that
there were less than 400 or so left in existence. is this true? i

have always pictured this little truck as a mini pro-street. small

block chev, 700r4, ford 9inch (no axle tubes) etc... please dont
cringe! i've had this since i was 7 and havent started yet! any
and
all information would be most appreciated. thanks!
mark

Papajaks@...

hi mark, a little input phrom another point of view than the ones i've seen
posted. This is a sensitive area and I want to be as diplomatic and
respectful of those who have different opinions. Just remember that the
truck belongs to you and your dreams, not to the club or anybody elses ideals
of what it should be. As phar as i'm concerned, the crosley is the coolest
car ever built and is appreciated as such in what ever configuration the
owner desires.
I own two roundsides: one on a six cylinder jeep chassis, and the other done
with a hot rod phlame job. Neither are what they were out of the showroom,
but both are vehicles I always wanted, and I defend my right to do what I
wish with what is mine.
With my regards, Jak

"stevie_22847" <olinger@...>

--- In Crosley_Gang@y..., "threeneely" <3neely@m...> wrote:
I'm the proud owner of a 47 roundside pu. i've owned this puppy for
33 years. it is merely a shell, no interior, engine or trans. its
straight and rust free. what do i have? how rare is it? at one
time, when i was younger, i remeber seeing an article saying that
there were less than 400 or so left in existence. is this true? i
have always pictured this little truck as a mini pro-street. small
block chev, 700r4, ford 9inch (no axle tubes) etc... please dont
cringe! i've had this since i was 7 and havent started yet! any
and
all information would be most appreciated. thanks!
mark
Well I'll add my 2 cents also. When I arrived at Weauson at the
National meet in 1984 with my 48 Crosley Panel (TINKER TOY) powered
by a 2000cc pinto engine c-4 trans and pinto rear I was looked upon
by most as an out cast. At the same time many people also looked!
When I returned in 1991 I was met with more respect than before. This
truck has been finished for 18 years, enjoyed by many people and
driven for thousands and thousands of miles. Now comes the
question???? Build it this way or original? I see it build it your
way. I enjoy driving the truck 55-60 mph all day. Some people enjoy
having a 100 point original show car and only driving in and out of a
trailer. Bottom line we all buld them to enjoy and save! So Enjoy!
Thanks! Steve

"Jim_Bollman" <Jim@...>

Mark,

I can't be much help on what to do with it, I like all Crosley stock,
street rod and in between. I can tell you a few facts to help you
make up your mind. Lots more than 400 made. I list over 3100 trucks
in 46 and 47. Some of that number is early slab side and probably a
few Sedan Delivers but neither of those started production till
November. I can not get you an exact number but 2000+ would be a
closer guess.

If you want to go stock or near stock most any of the standard models
can act as a donor vehicle. If you pick a late model you get
hydraulic brakes. You have to add some supports for the bed on the
frame if it is a sedan or wagon frame. A poor condition parts car
would be fairly cheap to get.

If you really have the need for speed, but can't bring yourself to
start cutting or the ability (highly modified cars take some talent
and money) you might go for hopped up near stock. Stock engines can
be built up to nearly double stock HP without getting to radical.
Homelite and Bearcat boat engines that were based on the Crosley
design can be converted to car use and look stock to many people and
get you 55hp without any extra hopping. I drove a 49 wagon with a
Homelite, it is amazing what double the HP does. The soup up approach
requires only bolt on mods and if you later want to convert to stock
it is pretty easy. Some even change to a 4 speed and a narrowed
Austin or other rear end. The next step up is put a larger 4cyl of
another make. How much you have to modify depends on the engine you pick.

Since you have just the body you could just drop it on a different
chassis. The earlier Jeep CJs have around a 81" wheel base pretty
close match but you will either have to cut a lot on the fenders or
jack the body up. All kinds of engine swap articles on the CJ.

To go more radical is beyond my abilities but several members in the
club can probably advise.

Jim...

--- In Crosley_Gang@y..., "threeneely" <3neely@m...> wrote:
what do i have? how rare is it? i remeber seeing an article
saying that there were less than 400 or so left in existence.
is this true? any and all information would be most appreciated.
thanks!
mark