Topics

42 Crosley

Bob Johnson Johnson <gforcecuda@...>

I just got a 42 Crosley from a friend who is dying…it has the 4 cylinder later engine…my mechanic said it had 2 carbs…did anyone besides Braje make a two carb intake for them?  I want to sell it..don’t know how this site works.

James Dlapa

Hi Bob , how much are you looking for? Where is it located? Do you have any pics?

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 4:30 PM Bob Johnson Johnson <gforcecuda@...> wrote:
I just got a 42 Crosley from a friend who is dying…it has the 4 cylinder later engine…my mechanic said it had 2 carbs…did anyone besides Braje make a two carb intake for them?  I want to sell it..don’t know how this site works.

Spock Arnold

Bob, I think a picture or 2 is a good start .  One of the car overall, engine compartment, and interior including the dash would be a good start. Location is important and anything you know about running condition.  Quite often parts, titles, etc were swapped on these cars.  To your question, yes there were several makers of dual intakes.

On Dec 15, 2018 6:14 PM, Bob Johnson Johnson <gforcecuda@...> wrote:
I just got a 42 Crosley from a friend who is dying…it has the 4 cylinder later engine…my mechanic said it had 2 carbs…did anyone besides Braje make a two carb intake for them?  I want to sell it..don’t know how this site works.

fred@...

pictures would be good, a 4 cyl swap into a pre-war is interesting.  BTW, is that your famous orange '71?

crosleyshortsport

Bob,  You are on our Crosley Automobile Club site. Anyone that is connected to the site is able to see your comments. I would also like to know your location. As club president, Dave Anspach stated above, a few photos would be good. As chairman of the 2019 national meet, and our big 50th year celebration, I would ask you to consider donating the car, in your friends name, to the national club. It would be a great addition to the very popular silent auction and help make this very special year even greater.
  Respectfully,    Jeffrey Ackerman
Crosley Automobile Club
Vice President, Chairman of the meet

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018, 8:23 PM <fred@... wrote:
pictures would be good, a 4 cyl swap into a pre-war is interesting.  BTW, is that your famous orange '71?

paul

Bob,
as has been said, posted pictures are a good idea as well as a location.  first though unless you are fairly familiar with the Crosley line of cars, I would go to the Crosley Club website, hunt down the page for "Identifying Your Crosley" and verify that you do in fact have a 1942 automobile. it's in the white section of the page, below the yellow background section, listed under "Information."  there are sketches and VIN numbers listed to help you. cars back in the day had all kinds of title mistakes due to mis-typing, folks memories, sometimes even if the car was a left over and sold new in a later year.  the reason I mention this, a few months back there was a post war car on Craigs List for sale purporting to be a '42,  if this is the same car, the title is incorrect and the 4 cylinder engine would be an original or replacement engine of the correct setup. post pictures here, the good folks will be helpful and won't take away your birthday if you have said something wrong, they are understanding. I too would love to see a picture if it is a true prewar Crosley with a 4 cyl transplant, sounds intriguing.     Paul Rinehart

http://crosleyautoclub.com/

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 4:30 PM Bob Johnson Johnson <gforcecuda@...> wrote:
I just got a 42 Crosley from a friend who is dying…it has the 4 cylinder later engine…my mechanic said it had 2 carbs…did anyone besides Braje make a two carb intake for them?  I want to sell it..don’t know how this site works.

Bob Johnson Johnson <gforcecuda@...>

thanks for the kind welcome..I have owned a lot of Crosleys in the past..this is a convertible..I will get pictures of it on here..it sold like 4 years ago at Barrett Jackson is where he bought it..the carbs are needing to be rebuilt…we ordered kits for them..car is in excellent shape..you could just google 1942 Crosley at Barrett jackson…it should pop up…I think there were a whole collection of micro cars and this was one of them that sold at BJ…I live in Gainesville Ga.  I have about 100 cars…used to be into small cars…I still have an Isetta and a Mischerschmdt.. only body style Crosley I didn’t own was the Farm or Road…never had one of them…I had several with the marvel Mystery system and several with the Nick Braje stuff on them,,,he was a nice old man…met him in California  very kind person..I am good friends with Bruce Weiner..he is the micro car king..never had too many Crosleys though..

On Dec 15, 2018, at 8:52 PM, crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:

Bob,  You are on our Crosley Automobile Club site. Anyone that is connected to the site is able to see your comments. I would also like to know your location. As club president, Dave Anspach stated above, a few photos would be good. As chairman of the 2019 national meet, and our big 50th year celebration, I would ask you to consider donating the car, in your friends name, to the national club. It would be a great addition to the very popular silent auction and help make this very special year even greater.
  Respectfully,    Jeffrey Ackerman
Crosley Automobile Club
Vice President, Chairman of the meet

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018, 8:23 PM <fred@... wrote:
pictures would be good, a 4 cyl swap into a pre-war is interesting.  BTW, is that your famous orange '71?

Bob Johnson Johnson <gforcecuda@...>

71 Cuda?  yes it is…or was   it belongs to Doug Cooper in New York now…it just won the trendsetter award for all time with Good guys…I was more than pleased..you can look on Barrett Jackson…just google 42 Crosley at Barrett Jackson..my friend bought it there…he is dying..his business has failed..he was doing over 10 million a year with a Title Loan guy…Texas, Fla and Califoria outlawed them…he had to shut down over 200 operations in those 3 states,..won’t pay his bills..bad deal…bankrupted my friend…it has virtually killed him..lost everythig and he was ridiing high…sad…he is sellling his 18K sq ft house…it is unbelievable..this is a neat little convertible..great shape for one of those tin cans..i am trying to think of the guy over here in Ga. that has Crosleys…Alton something if I remember…I had a little convertible Crosley with Marvel Mystery system on it…Braje stuff…also had a 51 I think it was Super Sport with a 4 banger out of a Mini Cooper..had a few Hot Shots..they were fun…I am into 32, 34, 36, 40 Fords and some muscle cars..lots of Station Wagons too..thanks for the warm welcome..

On Dec 15, 2018, at 8:23 PM, fred@... wrote:

pictures would be good, a 4 cyl swap into a pre-war is interesting.  BTW, is that your famous orange '71?

Bob Johnson Johnson <gforcecuda@...>

he paid right at $18K for it..it is in my shop waiting for carb kits..good looking little car  very original except for the engine..you can go to Barrett Jackson  put in 42 Crosley…it should pop up..bought it about 4 or 5 years ago..ran great before he parked it with methanol gas  in it…screwed up the carbs…we are waiting for the kits which should be here momentarily…I will try to get some pix but you can see it on Barrett Jackson…neat piece..

On Dec 15, 2018, at 8:01 PM, James Dlapa <crosley1980@...> wrote:

Hi Bob , how much are you looking for? Where is it located? Do you have any pics?

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 4:30 PM Bob Johnson Johnson <gforcecuda@...> wrote:
I just got a 42 Crosley from a friend who is dying…it has the 4 cylinder later engine…my mechanic said it had 2 carbs…did anyone besides Braje make a two carb intake for them?  I want to sell it..don’t know how this site works.

Spock Arnold

Well maybe I'm just stupid , but I found a 42 sold at Barrett Jackson in 2013 and 2015. (Appears to be the same car) but it is a 2 cylinder.  Can't find a 4 cyl .

On Dec 16, 2018 6:55 AM, Bob Johnson Johnson <gforcecuda@...> wrote:
[...]

I haven’t looked at the engine…But it has two carbs and my mechanic said it was a four banger…I need to go look..he is pretty smart..can’t believe he doesnt now the difference in a two and 4 cylinder motor...

On Dec 16, 2018, at 8:27 AM, Spock Arnold via Groups.Io <tmkldwwj@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob,   Wherever the Crosley ends up,  We would love to see it at the 2019 national meet. The pre-war is the spotlight class this year as it is 80 years since the first Crosley was built. Ultimately, we just want to see the Crosley find a home with someone who will enjoy driving and showing it.    On the subject of your friend and his business, I am so very sorry for the outcome in that situation. When you build a business from the ground up, it becomes a large part of who you are. My hope is, that he may find peace within, before he passes on.
 Respectfully,   Jeffrey

On Dec 16, 2018 8:35 AM, "Bob Johnson Johnson" <gforcecuda@...> wrote:
[...]

it is beyond sad…his house is so far over the top it is unreal…never saw a home with so many furnishings..he had several cars…all gone now..I bought him a Ariel Atom a few years ago…he really enjoyed racing it…fast as hell…on the short road course up in Dawsonville, he could outrun anything…it was brutal..I am going to check out the engine myself…but my mechanic is one sharp cookie…just not a Crosley guy...

On Dec 16, 2018, at 9:17 AM, crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:

[...]

whistler@...

iF IT'S THIS ONE, IT'S A 2 CYLINDER.
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1942-CROSLEY-CONVERTIBLE-139507

Bob Johnson Johnson <gforcecuda@...>

that’s it…got to get to my shop and look…my mechanic said it had 2 carbs…and was a 4 banger..I know it came with an air cooled 2 cyl...

On Dec 16, 2018, at 12:23 PM, whistler@... wrote:

Bob Johnson Johnson <gforcecuda@...>

well my mechanic finally got back to me…it is a 2 cylinder  a carb for each cylinder…he got mixed up when I was speaking to him and was talking about a 32 Ford I have with a Donovan all aluminum 4 banger motor with a Miller ylinder head…two carbs..I have two 32 Fords with the Donovan engine…they called them a D motor…first was the A model 4 banger…then the B in a 32 Ford…then a C…they called the Donovan a D motor..I have a 32 pick up with one in it…and a 32 5 window coupe with one in it…bad ass little engine…sorry for the confusion..still like to sell it..got to get the carbs built and running...

[...]

I looked closely at the picture from Barrett Jackson and it does appear to have 2 carbs.  I'd love to look at some pictures of that hookup.  I've never seen a twin carb 2 cylinder!

On Dec 16, 2018 4:26 PM, Bob Johnson Johnson <gforcecuda@...> wrote:
[...]

I will try to get you one..he said it had one for each cylinder..I think it had 12 hp before…maybe 15 now…lol..

On Dec 16, 2018, at 8:19 PM, Spock Arnold via Groups.Io <tmkldwwj@...> wrote:

[...]

ray tooley

location price pics

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 7:01 PM, James Dlapa
<crosley1980@...> wrote:
Hi Bob , how much are you looking for? Where is it located? Do you have any pics?

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 4:30 PM Bob Johnson Johnson <gforcecuda@...> wrote:
I just got a 42 Crosley from a friend who is dying…it has the 4 cylinder later engine…my mechanic said it had 2 carbs…did anyone besides Braje make a two carb intake for them?  I want to sell it..don’t know how this site works.

Bob Johnson Johnson <gforcecuda@...>

look at Barrett Jackson..google 42 Crosley..pictures on there…it has 2 carbs on the little 2 cylinder motor…it is in Gaiinesville, Ga.  he paid right at 18K for it…we are going to have to rebuild the carbs…sitting with alcohol gas screwed them up…kits should be here momentarily…care is in good shape..we are willing to lose on it..my mechanic got mixed up taling to me and thopught we weere talking about a Donovan D 4 banger in one of my 32’s…it is a 2 cylinder air cooled engine with two carbs   one for each cylinder..been stored inside…probably didn’t put 10 miles on it..thanks..