Topics

No crankcase breather tube on the Youth Project car

Tim Hamblen

We are detailing the engine and early I noticed the crankcase has no breather tube.Can enough pressure be vented up thru the tower shaft tube and out the cam cover breather ? There is no blow by provision on the block either.

fred@...

What is the serial number on the crankcase?

Steve <nutsbolts_9502@...>

I believe the oil filler tube/cap is also a breather.

Sent from my I-thing

On Feb 1, 2017, at 6:40 PM, Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim@...> wrote:

We are detailing the engine and early I noticed the crankcase has no breather tube.Can enough pressure be vented up thru the tower shaft tube and out the cam cover breather ? There is no blow by provision on the block either.

Tim Hamblen

Fred, is that on the driver side on the small flat milled out spot ? I'm guessing the motor has been changed out and the lower end is from a Cobra.

fred@...

The number will be below the distributor on a flat, and yes I think you hit the snake on the head...

Tim Hamblen

I'm not real keen on the only crankcase vent being on the very top of the motor which will gather a lot of grease and dirt. I wish there was a way to add a blow by tube somewhere.

Jim Bollman

This topic comes up every year or so. Here is a thread that had some suggestions on adding a pan breather if you don't want to swap crankcases.

https://groups.io/g/Crosley-Gang/topic/oil_filler/4096566?p=Created,,,20,1,0,0

Jim...

BARRY SEEL <CROSLEY19@AOL.COM>

Tim, I would replace the lower end! With a late model crankcase, and crank. That crankcase will have rope seals, and a cast Iiron crank. Garanteed to leak oil like an old Detroit diesel.

Barry

Steve <nutsbolts_9502@...>

Surely, a piece of Neoprene gasket material with a similar cross section as the rope gasket can be found to substitute the leak prone rope?

Sent from my I-thing

On Feb 3, 2017, at 11:39 AM, CROSLEY19 via Groups.Io <CROSLEY19@...> wrote:

Tim, I would replace the lower end! With a late model crankcase, and crank. That crankcase will have rope seals, and a cast Iiron crank. Garanteed to leak oil like an old Detroit diesel.

Barry

Gary

Barry, are you still building motors? I found a 1955 army generator/aerojet/fageol and it needs your TLC!

Gary McFarlane
Sent from my iPad