Topics

Crosley Manufacturing Plant in Marion Indiana

I believe that Crosley operated two automobile manufacturing plants in Indiana--Richmond and Marion. The Club site has a "Now and Then" page with Richmond but no reference or pictures of Marion. If the Company did operate in Marion as anyone seen a historical  picture of the plant?  And if so where?

Bob H.

I haven't seen photos, but there are plenty of references to be found online that there was a Marion plant.

I found reference to this being the location:
Atlas Foundry Company Inc
601 N Henderson Ave, Marion, IN 46952

From here:

Here's a 1945 newspaper clipping announcing the plant:

That was just from the first couple of pages of Google results. Alas, no photos.

-Bob

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019, 5:25 PM Jim Murphy <lftrn97@...> wrote:
I believe that Crosley operated two automobile manufacturing plants in Indiana--Richmond and Marion. The Club site has a "Now and Then" page with Richmond but no reference or pictures of Marion. If the Company did operate in Marion as anyone seen a historical  picture of the plant?  And if so where?

Jim Bollman

PreWars were built in Richmond Indian in the same complex where the appliances were built and the complex went with the sale of that division to Avco in 1945. Postwar were built in Marion IN and the factory was in auto related manufacturing before and after Crosley. The main building was tore down a few years ago. I don't have any good late photos even though we had a gathering there back in the 90s, I didn't think to take a picture accept the main office building.

Here is an old photo of Marion plant not sure of the year.

On Jul 2, 2019, at 5:25 PM, Jim Murphy <lftrn97@...> wrote:

I believe that Crosley operated two automobile manufacturing plants in Indiana--Richmond and Marion. The Club site has a "Now and Then" page with Richmond but no reference or pictures of Marion. If the Company did operate in Marion as anyone seen a historical  picture of the plant?  And if so where?

Thanks Jim. Hope to meet you at the National.

Jim Aschliman

The Marion Public Library has an area with a historical information and artifacts relating to Crosley and the manufacturing of post WW ll Crosleys in Marion, Indiana  I also has a pristine '52 VC on display.  Well worth a stop if you are close by.  They are also members of CAC.