Ty Totally Clueless 🤗

paul

Without trying to be a smart mouth, this question is too subjective and broad to get a real answer. The 47 Crosley is worth exactly what one is willing to pay, what one wants with it, and how much work one can do or have to farm out. Be honest with yourself, do you like it and want it or are you thinking about a flip and making a few bucks? Remember, it's not a 57 Chevy or big engine muscle Mustang, but it is the beginning of a fun little car that will draw crowds away from chrome laden Corvettes at a gathering. Where do you live? Is there a chance you can make it to Wauseon, Ohio (northwest corner of the state) next weekend, sometime July 11-13th? If so, go see the cars and talk with folks. Crosley people are very friendly and approachable. See what the vendors have, get an idea of what you might need and the cost. Evaluate the car you have spotted first. You might discover that even free isn't a great deal if it is but a parts car, incomplete, floors rusted away, gas tank shot, engine stuck, glass broken, rubber gaskets a mess, rodent infested with upholstery and wiring chewed away.  Then again, you may have found a jewel, a preserved piece that can become a wonderful toy without too much work or money, a survivor. Be educated. Parts are around, a Crosley can be built starting with just one good lug bolt but it will never be a six digit or even mid five digit valued car, what are you willing to invest? Does it have transferable paperwork that matches the VIN tag middle of the firewall? If being a Crosley owner is your dream, study, learn, ask, you might find that a finished or nearly done car is a much better investment. Then again if you are handy and prefer the "I did it myself" smile, sit down with the present owner and a pot of coffee, talk honestly. If making money is what you have in mind, I guarantee you won't get rich with this flip.  Paul Rinehart

On 7/2/2019 9:25 AM, Donna Bomia wrote:
I'm trying to get a ball park figure on a '47 light blue Crosley with radio. It's a 2 door and is in fair condition. I'll be pulling it out the barn within the next few weeks so, pictures will be coming but in the meantime anyone have a ballpark figure?

Ty Totally Clueless 🤗

Saltsgaver, Mike

The veterans here will correct me where I’ve screwed up, but here’s my take on it:  (BTW, you didn’t mention if you’re buying or selling this car)

#5)  Missing some or all glass, bad floors, bad upholstery, stuck or missing engine, missing title…..$250 to 500.

#4)  Good glass, workable (meaning they’re not totally trash) floors, workable upholstery, motor not stuck, with title……$500 to 1500.

#3)  It will run & stop (but maybe not in a while), useable tires, with title……$1500 to 2500.

#2)  Someone has already spent some time & money on it (decent paint, decent interior, runs & stops now)…….$2500 to 6400

#1)  A show car ready to enjoy right now……$6500 on up.

Again, the veterans here know the prices better than me.  I had been shopping since January & studying prices.  As mentioned, a lot depends on  what you are really looking for.

Lots-o-luck,

Mike S

Hella Electronics Corporation, 43811 Plymouth Oaks Blvd., 48170, Plymouth Michigan
This document is to be treated confidentially. Its contents are not to be passed on, duplicated, exploited or disclosed without our express permission. All rights reserved, especially the right to apply for protective rights.

Dennis Terdy

Paul,

Spot on advice! (I own a '47 coupe!)
Dennis

--
Dennis Terdy

paul

Appreciate it Dennis, been through several myself and it's really easy to get caught up in the moment and see finished and fun that's really miles and dollars away.  Mike's answer was what was asked for, he's probably real close since he has been shopping nearly six months. Also to the OP, the CC series (46-48s) originally had CoBra engines and six inch mechanical drum brakes unless the car has been altered. Neither is a problem if one understands these going in. Also the OP may not know that finding a surprisingly low mile Crosley is the norm rather than an exception. People parked 10 to 20 thousand mile cars that needed something fixed intending to get around to fixing the Crosley later. Life got in the way, new cars and trade ins were becoming more plentiful. Baby boomer kids were growing long legs, families needed larger cars. Used car buyers could find vehicles that were on blocks during WW II. Jobs were everywhere, money was looser, gas was cheap, financing was available. Except for Korea times were good in the fifties. Why wrench for several days when one could ride today?   Paul

On 7/2/2019 2:13 PM, Dennis Terdy wrote:
[...]

Donna Bomia

Ty so much for your advice. I would love to keep the Crosley but have no where to store it or the means to making it top notch again. I live in LaSalle Michigan, a stones throw from Wauseon. I haven't a way of getting it there but maybe I could come down with pictures. My brother has the other Crosley our Dad left us.
I love my Dad even though it's been 2 years this July 9th that he went home. He was 93, a WWll hero and .... Sorry.
"Anyways, the car has never been in wreck. If that was true someone would have mistaken it for a tin can alongside a ditch!" LoL
My Dad had a great sense of humor!
Ty again!
Just maybe I might come and see Y'all, with pics.
Donna

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019, 11:50 AM paul <bikertrash@... wrote:
[...]

Bob H.

I plan to attend with my recently departed Dad's 1951 Super Sports. I'm going to put together a flyer with photos of his two '51 CDs that I expect will be for sale in the near future with my phone number and email. I figure it's at least a way of getting in touch with prospective buyers.

Like you, I can't get them to Wauseon.

Good luck!

-Bob

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019, 3:22 PM Donna Bomia <bomiadonna9@...> wrote:
[...]

Donna, don't be discouraged. Don't you dare apologize, your father was a hero, next time you visit the cemetery, salute and thank him from me please, another veteran, different war. Two Crosleys? Say no more about his sense of humor, you have said it all already. Kudos to you for trying to find a home for the car, many wouldn't bother. Pictures here might be your best bet along with a good description of the floors, interior etc. With Wauseon coming up in a week, you might find someone wanting to drive the hour to see. You are just an hour and a few minutes from Wauseon. Having pictures, description, and a price in mind now, posted for Crosley folks to see probably will get you the best audience of people with an interest. Is your brother close? Would he or someone else have the knowledge to try to turn the engine just a nudge by hand to see if it is stuck? Remember to put the transmission into neutral before trying. Maybe there is a CAC member in the Toledo or just north area who can drop by before the National meet and help you get an assessment of condition and identify the engine block whether original CoBra or replacement Cast Iron.  Paul Rinehart

On 7/3/2019 3:22 PM, Donna Bomia wrote:
Ty so much for your advice. I would love to keep the Crosley but have no where to store it or the means to making it top notch again. I live in LaSalle Michigan, a stones throw from Wauseon. I haven't a way of getting it there but maybe I could come down with pictures. My brother has the other Crosley our Dad left us.
I love my Dad even though it's been 2 years this July 9th that he went home. He was 93, a WWll hero and .... Sorry.
"Anyways, the car has never been in wreck. If that was true someone would have mistaken it for a tin can alongside a ditch!" LoL
My Dad had a great sense of humor!
Ty again!
Just maybe I might come and see Y'all, with pics.
Donna

Jim Bollman

We will have a bulletin board at the Nationals for ads and pictures.

Bob H.

Good info to know. Thanks, Jim.

-Bob

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019, 5:15 PM Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
We will have a bulletin board at the Nationals for ads and pictures.

Gabriel Haddad

Donna, if you're not that far away, come visit and take in the experience. Great people and great fun. Maybe you'll change your mind about selling it.😉

[...]

I think I Love Y'all,already. 🤗

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019, 5:45 PM Gabriel Haddad <super51.g100@... wrote:
[...]

Donna,  this will sound silly at first but if you have not yet wiped the Crosley off DON'T at least until you get a couple of pictures, preferably don't at all. whether you keep or sell it, a "dirty as found" picture is like an album of a child growing up. layers of dust are the provenance and add to the stories one loves to tell when being questioned about their little gem. in fact, you mentioned a barn, snap a picture of the barn, garage, shed, whatever to show where the blue Crosley has been resting and waiting. if you get to Wauseon and are not shy about talking to folks I'd bet you can find a ride or two in a Crosley. the experience will tie you even closer to your father's memory, you will be reminded of his sense of humor and individuality several times over.  thin skinned and uppity people are banned from owning a Crosley. a Crosley truly is  "A FUN CAR,"  oops, I mean "A FINE CAR" it says so right on the fancy trim.   Paul Rinehart

On 7/4/2019 12:49 AM, Donna Bomia wrote:
I think I Love Y'all,already. 🤗

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019, 5:45 PM Gabriel Haddad <super51.g100@... wrote:
Donna, if you're not that far away, come visit and take in the experience. Great people and great fun. Maybe you'll change your mind about selling it.😉

Donna Bomia

That's a great idea. Ty so much. I'll be rounding family and friends up to possibly come to the show next week.
Ty again & Happy 4th of July.