From: Dave Shipman
Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2019 12:35 AM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: [Crosley-Gang] 12” MQQN Trimrings: the results are in!!

so I received the 12” MQQN trimrings from Japan and thanks to a close Crosley member, Paula Whitney and her son Scott, I was able to borrow a crosley wheel to put these trimrings to the test. The results are this:
1) super fast shipping out of Japan
2) excellent customer service
3) i felt the quality was great
Now for the bad news:
1) they went on fine, but didn’t quite fit
2) it sat about 1/4” above the rim-maybe slightly less
3) from the side view- they look fantastic!
it appears the inner lip of the trimring is bottoming out on the lower lip of the wheel. a person could trim the inner lip of the trimring about 1/8” to bring the trimring in closer to the wheel- but it would take a steady hand with a grinder.
All in all, it was disappointing that they came within a 1/4” to being a complete winner in my book, but the slight gap was a setback in the search for replacement crosley trimrings.
Like i said, they look fantastic from the side but you can see the gap looking down at the wheel from above or to the side. i feel they are acceptable for a daily driver but for show, i’m not so sure. I personally, will probably grind down the inner lip of the trimring to help the appearance but I have OCD and i tend to be too discriminating on something when others feel what i see is just fine.
I purchased 5 and therefore, have an extra to ship around to other crosley members who want to see for themselves- so if your that kind of person, send me a private email. all i ask is you pay for the shipping-which is a lot cheaper than from Japan!
Doesn’t anyone out there have a NOS set of crosley trimrings that need to go to a desperate man-me!?!?

Dennis Terdy

Dave
Thank you for the trim ring review! I’ve been looking for these for almost 3 years.
Dennis

Why not let the supplier know of this . Even offer to ship a wheel for test. Then the collect ones would be viable.Be a good R&D project for service/Yankee.
Vern
[...]

Attachments:

--
Dennis Terdy

christopher cochrane

Thanks so much for this review. I would love to see a side view pic with the rim with tire on.

On May 12, 2019, at 8:07 AM, Dennis Terdy <dennis.terdy@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve Perry

I would be happy to pay for a Trim Ring and shipping. I have a friend (ex engineer with quite a home machine shop) who said he would be willing to help me try to figure out a way to fit these.
Let me know..
Steve Perry

On May 12, 2019, at 11:23 AM, christopher cochrane via Groups.Io <Pisarunner@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave Shipman

there ya go....

Dave Shipman

pic’s of inner trimring

Dave Shipman

Forgot to mention- they are Stainless Steel

Steve Perry

What is the diameter of the innermost portion of the ring (the part that needs trimmed off)..
Steve

On May 12, 2019, at 5:51 PM, Dave Shipman <officershipman@...> wrote:

Forgot to mention- they are Stainless Steel

Steve Perry

Steve Perry
24252 N. County Road 3190
Elmore City, OK 73433

On May 12, 2019, at 6:13 PM, Steve Perry <sperryfish@...> wrote:

What is the diameter of the innermost portion of the ring (the part that needs trimmed off)..
Steve

On May 12, 2019, at 5:51 PM, Dave Shipman <officershipman@...> wrote:

Forgot to mention- they are Stainless Steel

Dave Shipman

Steve, it is 10 5/8” in diameter

christopher cochrane

Thanks for all the work and the great pics.

On May 12, 2019, at 5:19 PM, Dave Shipman <officershipman@...> wrote:

Steve, it is 10 5/8” in diameter

Dave Shipman

hope it saves other people the time and money hunting for these darn things!
Steve, i’ll get it sent out tomorrow or wednesday!

Dave Shipman

i guess if you put a set on- you can officially display your “MQQN EQUIPPED” sticker proudly on your Crosley and mean it!.... lolol

Tim Hamblen

Why not forego the outer clips to hold them and do like the original ones, held to the wheel by the hubcap ? Much simpler.

Dave Shipman

I don’t know how that works because i’ve never seen or owned an original set of Crosley trimrings.
Do you have pictures? Thanks

Gary Cochrane

It doesn’t look like the ring is wide enough to get under the cap. The original was wider. I have original on my SS.

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019, 10:56 PM, Dave Shipman <officershipman@...> wrote:

I don’t know how that works because i’ve never seen or owned an original set of Crosley trimrings.
Do you have pictures? Thanks

L.E. Hardee

The original "trim ring" was not so much a trim ring as we commonly know them but more of a hub cap extender to make the regular Crosley baby moon style cap look like a full wheel cover. I think they called them beauty rings.  It did not go way down into the rim but just dipped a bit before rising up to go under the hubcap. I am attaching a picture I found on the internet of something similar but not Crosley.

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 10:52 AM Gary Cochrane via Groups.Io <g2cochrane=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
It doesn’t look like the ring is wide enough to get under the cap. The original was wider. I have original on my SS.

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019, 10:56 PM, Dave Shipman <officershipman@...> wrote:

I don’t know how that works because i’ve never seen or owned an original set of Crosley trimrings.
Do you have pictures? Thanks

Steve Perry

So, it was actually held on by the hubcap and not by some spring steel teeth?
SP

On May 15, 2019, at 2:03 PM, L.E. Hardee <hftsales@...> wrote:

The original "trim ring" was not so much a trim ring as we commonly know them but more of a hub cap extender to make the regular Crosley baby moon style cap look like a full wheel cover. I think they called them beauty rings.  It did not go way down into the rim but just dipped a bit before rising up to go under the hubcap. I am attaching a picture I found on the internet of something similar but not Crosley.

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 10:52 AM Gary Cochrane via Groups.Io <g2cochrane=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
It doesn’t look like the ring is wide enough to get under the cap. The original was wider. I have original on my SS.

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019, 10:56 PM, Dave Shipman <officershipman@...> wrote:

I don’t know how that works because i’ve never seen or owned an original set of Crosley trimrings.
Do you have pictures? Thanks

<beauty ring.jpg>

Kenn Cahill

Correct