Topics

Temp sensor help needed

Richard Helm

I'm looking for a little help and advice on the engine temp sensor. I accidently bumped the capillary tube while replacing the battery on my Hot Shot and now the gauge doesn't work. The end that goes into the block appears to be undamaged but there must be a bad spot on the tube. If I could locate the damage on the tube is there any hope in straightening it enough to make the gauge work again? If not, I have a couple other questions to clarify things:
  • Does anyone know the correct thread size where the bulb goes into the block? I bought a brass plug with 3/8" pipe thread but it appears to be a hair too big. I'd like to plug the hole so I can drive the car a little while waiting to get the gauge repaired.
  • Does the backing plate that holds the gauge into the gauge cluster on the dash have to be removed along with the gauge? I took one out about 20 years ago to get it fixed but don't remember this issue.
  • Does anyone have a recommended place to get the gauge repaired now that Bob Potts is no longer doing it?
Thanks for your help.
Rich

dale@servicemotors.net

Hi Rich
Service Motors has the ability to fix them.  Just send the gauge to us and we will take care of it.  Or give us a call  866-449-0029.

On Apr 1, 2019, at 3:33 PM, Richard Helm <rbhelm@...> wrote:

[...]

Butch

The block thread is 5/8" X 18 (as I recall)  fine thread.

The chances of the tube being just kinked and not working, are slim. If it's not working, most likely punctured and leaked the fluid out.

Butch

On 4/1/2019 6:33 PM, Richard Helm wrote:
[...]

Vern Barker

One can repair these By purchase a replacement gage, Freeze the “blub” (the part that screws in block) so the fluid will not leak out. Cut the old “bulb” off leaving enough tube to solder new bulb cut the new froze bulb. With a peace of 1/8 inch ID.  tube spice the new bulb to the original tube  then solder.
Note: You may want to make the spice so it will be under the dash out of site.
          Install new blub and gage in freezer Do not cut until you are ready to spice the two together.
          Dry Ice is best if one can fine it.
Good luck.
Vern

[...]

PATRICIA GRITTI

Thank you Vern,
Repairing temp. gauges has been one of several "You can't get there from here." Crosley mysteries. Your description makes the fix easy.
Don

On April 1, 2019 at 10:31 PM Vern Barker <romardb@...> wrote:

[...]

Don,

Remember, simple is NOT the same as easy.

The "fluid", in the bulb, that your are working with/against, is ether. Highly volatile and flammable.

Dry ice is the key component, freezing the bulb, of the new gauge, while prepping everything is a big key to the success of the project, as is making the splice a good distance away from the back of the original gauge back. It's quite easy to un-solder some of the gauge components.

If you have more questions, before attempting this, e-mail me and I'll try to answer them. I've done this several times.

Butch

On 4/2/2019 9:01 AM, PATRICIA GRITTI wrote:
[...]

Jeffrey Gladden

I don’t chime on on this stuff often; however, I would send it out and have someone who does this all the time repair it.  I have had a few rebuilt over the years and it was well worth it.  You will be better off getting someone like a Service Motors to do it.

Just my 2 cents and lessons learned having been involved with Crosleys and other antique cars for many years.  Good luck.

Jeff

On Apr 2, 2019, at 10:16 AM, Butch via Groups.Io <butch46988@...> wrote:

[...]

Tim Hamblen

Guys, it's just too easy to buy a new gauge off the shelf at any parts store , take the guts out of it and put those in place of the original gauge guts.Jeff Ackerman has done it, I have done several and there was a how to in a past issue of the Quarterly.

Richard Helm

Thanks to all who responded to my request on the temp sensor. I'm planning to send mine in for repair to make sure it's done right.
Rich

PATRICIA GRITTI

Actually have a modern pneumatic temp gauge mounted under the dash! Never thought to use the modern guts with the Crosley temp. face. Worth a try. Have no idea which quarterly would have the "How to". Any hints?
Don

On April 4, 2019 at 9:31 AM "Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io" <flinttim@...> wrote:

Guys, it's just too easy to buy a new gauge off the shelf at any parts store , take the guts out of it and put those in place of the original gauge guts.Jeff Ackerman has done it, I have done several and there was a how to in a past issue of the Quarterly.

Richard Helm

For anyone that’s interested, I found the article on p.16 of the Fall 2015 Quarterly. It was submitted by Steve Eggert Sr.

Saltsgaver, Mike

Could someone scan & post that article to the website for us “newbies” who weren’t members in 2015?

Hella Electronics Corporation, 43811 Plymouth Oaks Blvd., 48170, Plymouth Michigan
This document is to be treated confidentially. Its contents are not to be passed on, duplicated, exploited or disclosed without our express permission. All rights reserved, especially the right to apply for protective rights.

Jim Bollman

Two things, not really appropriate to post articles from past Quarterlies on the net. Black issues are available from our club store for $4/ issue.  If some one wants to mail a copy to Mike that is fine. The second thing, that isn't the article for putting modern guts in a stock garage, Jef Ackerman wrote that story. I think fairly recently. If no one posts it soon I will dig back through back issues and see if I can find it.

Jim...

On Apr 4, 2019, at 4:01 PM, Saltsgaver, Mike <Mike.Saltsgaver@...> wrote:

Could someone scan & post that article to the website for us “newbies” who weren’t members in 2015?

Hella Electronics Corporation, 43811 Plymouth Oaks Blvd., 48170, Plymouth Michigan
This document is to be treated confidentially. Its contents are not to be passed on, duplicated, exploited or disclosed without our express permission. All rights reserved, especially the right to apply for protective rights.

Jim Bollman

Sorry I misremembered back issues are $5/ea.

Mike S

Not that it matters to me, but the magazine regularly publishes tech tips from the crosley websites.  Why would doing the opposite not be appropriate?
Mike S

Jim Bollman

The club sponsors this website as a free resource. The Quarterly is copyrighted and is part of how the brick and mortar club exists. I know one article would not make a difference one way or another but it can be a slippery slope.

Jim...

On Apr 4, 2019, at 7:11 PM, Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:

Not that it matters to me, but the magazine regularly publishes tech tips from the crosley websites.  Why would doing the opposite not be appropriate?
Mike S

Jim Bollman

I really need to read what I reference. Jeff was the poster but not the original author, Steve Eggert Sr, was, sorry Steve. But since the VP of the club posted it I will accept that as approved for reprinting.

Jim...