Topics

Tower Shaft upper bolt removal tool

What tool do you use to remove the upper bolt on the tower shaft? I have a couple of sockets with the studs but nothing as tiny as the grooves in the shaft housing. Thank you.

Butch

The upper tower shaft bolt should just have a 7/16" head (maybe 1/2", I'm not close to one at present), no special tool or socket required.

Butch

On 3/21/2019 11:38 AM, Jim Murphy wrote:
What tool do you use to remove the upper bolt on the tower shaft? I have a couple of sockets with the studs but nothing as tiny as the grooves in the shaft housing. Thank you.

Plandersen

Some require a 12 point socket.  That would explain the tiny groves.  Kent

On Mar 21, 2019, at 9:03 AM, Butch via Groups.Io <butch46988@...> wrote:

The upper tower shaft bolt should just have a 7/16" head (maybe 1/2", I'm not close to one at present), no special tool or socket required.

Butch

On 3/21/2019 11:38 AM, Jim Murphy wrote:
What tool do you use to remove the upper bolt on the tower shaft? I have a couple of sockets with the studs but nothing as tiny as the grooves in the shaft housing. Thank you.

dale@servicemotors.net

Should be just a 7/16 wrench..

On Mar 21, 2019, at 8:38 AM, Jim Murphy <lftrn97@...> wrote:

What tool do you use to remove the upper bolt on the tower shaft? I have a couple of sockets with the studs but nothing as tiny as the grooves in the shaft housing. Thank you.

No bolt head...there is a hole about 1 5" deep and it appears there is a bolt head at the bottom. The collar at the top of the hole inside the top gear has 4 maybe 1/8 x 3/8 slots feeding off the inner edge. My assumption is that there was a special socket to fit in them allowing it to drop down and engage the bolt head.

Butch

I have disassembled, literally, at least a couple hundred of these engines and have never seen anything but a bolt head at the top.

Yours sound like someone has snapped off the towershaft bolt and all that is left is the threaded lower portion.

The bolt extends ABOVE the towershaft and gear, it is hollow drilled, a "metering" elbow goes between the towershaft and camshaft.

That is how the camshaft and bearings get lubricated.

Butch